Children’s program

kbarnum

To be honest (and not trying to be mean), even if Regent did have a program on port days, it is concerning that parents would want to leave a 12 year old on the ship while they go off and see amazing things (things that children would appreciate so much). If parents do not want to spend time with their children, perhaps they should have left them with a grandparent or someone that cares about them. I was upset when the poster mentioned leaving their 12 year old "somewhere" and being able to contact them with walkie-talkies.

Agreed. Didn’t read it that way. My kids are short of that age. Independence is also important as they get older. Communication as well. I also meant no disrespect. Just can’t assume everyone’s situation. Thought the reply was a bit harsh, just my interpretation. No harm.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

To be honest (and not trying to be mean), even if Regent did have a program on port days, it is concerning that parents would want to leave a 12 year old on the ship while they go off and see amazing things (things that children would appreciate so much). If parents do not want to spend time with their children, perhaps they should have left them with a grandparent or someone that cares about them. I was upset when the poster mentioned leaving their 12 year old "somewhere" and being able to contact them with walkie-talkies.

Not trying to be mean but you certainly accomplished it. Any rational person would realize that they were saying they wanted to be able to contact the child when he or she was participating in ship supervised activities.

Not trying to be mean but you certainly accomplished it. Any rational person would realize that they were saying they wanted to be able to contact the child when he or she was participating in ship supervised activities.

The clearly wanted to know if they could contact her child when they was not on the ship. There are no children programs when the ship is in port.

Are you just trying to create an argument on this thread? Sorry but I won't argue about what "any rational person" would do.:mad:

The clearly wanted to know if they could contact her child when they was not on the ship. There are no children programs when the ship is in port.

Are you just trying to create an argument on this thread? Sorry but I won't argue about what "any rational person" would do.:mad:

"When they was not on the ship" ?

Thanks for posting the schedules! We'll be on the late July Alaskan cruise with my 12 yr old. So, do they blend all of the 5-12 yr olds in the same activities? I'm hoping my son will be comfortable "hanging out" at some of these activities, but I can see him spending more time with us (which we are totally ok with too).

Kind of an off, but not off question. Is there a way to communicate with people on the ship. Maybe an app through wifi (say if I leave him somewhere and want to check in). Is there any use in bringing walkie-talkies? We're used to bigger ships, so not sure how much a need this will be.

Looking forward to following the summer Alaskan itineraries!

It clearly says communicating with "people ON the ship"

It clearly says communicating with "people ON the ship"

Yes - and I read the post as them being OFF of the ship: "Is there a way to communicate with people on the ship. Maybe an app through wifi (say if I leave him somewhere and want to check in)." Poster did not say that they were planning on leaving the child in the children's program (where they could easily find the child and would know exactly where they were). I don't know about others, but I never left my 12 year old child "somewhere".

There is nothing wrong with people interpreting posts differently but there is something wrong when a poster bashes another poster by stating "Any rational person would realize that they were saying they wanted to be able to contact the child when he or she was participating in ship supervised activities (and by intimating that I was trying to be mean!!!!!!!!!) I did not read anywhere that the poster meant that "somewhere" was in the ships supervised activities.

It would be helpful if that person clarified their post and also if posters could debate the topic rather than other posters:cool:

Wow, some people really read into things negatively! Why make up stories when you don't know background (and in no way my post would insinuate)? I see that time after time on threads on this board and it is just unnecessary!

To those who defended me, thank you.

I clearly stated that my son most likely will spend most of the time with us! Yes, this is a luxury cruise. It is great that the cruiseline offers kids programs during the cruise, but it absolutely does not replace family time! I also am well aware that most likely the kids are in make-shift kids rooms. The kids program was not the selling point of the ship. Like the OP, I like to plan things out and it was great to see what kind of itinerary is there. Also, please don't feel the need to shame those who take advantage of the kids club. It is there for a reason and some kids really enjoy it!

Another note, that "Somewhere" I was talking about was in the kids club. I don't plan on letting him roam the ship. Regardless of what he chooses to do, we are going on this cruise as a family and have amazing excursions on this port-heavy cruise. I have never heard of leaving a kid on a boat while you left the ship - would never think of that!

Regarding communication, we will be traveling in a party of 7 family members. I was just asking for how large parties keep in contact as well.

Let's turn this kid conversation around. Going forward, if you see a post regarding kids (and there will be posts), look at it in a different light. Look at kids being on this ship with their family, including Grandparents, Aunts and Uncles. I think everyone who has researched this line is very clear that there are other lines that have amazing activities for kids where you can sign the kids in for the whole day. We are looking forward to enjoying a luxury cruise with family. My son is well traveled and appreciates the great experiences we will have!

Now let's all play nice, okay? We are all planning amazing trips!

This whole argument is what reading into things is all about. Please read my post. I truly think you mean well, as I see you in most posts on this board. I didn't check this post until tonight and I'm sorry that this thread got out of hand.

Smile, we are very fortunate to have these opportunities!

Yes - and I read the post as them being OFF of the ship: "Is there a way to communicate with people on the ship. Maybe an app through wifi (say if I leave him somewhere and want to check in)." Poster did not say that they were planning on leaving the child in the children's program (where they could easily find the child and would know exactly where they were). I don't know about others, but I never left my 12 year old child "somewhere".

There is nothing wrong with people interpreting posts differently but there is something wrong when a poster bashes another poster by stating "Any rational person would realize that they were saying they wanted to be able to contact the child when he or she was participating in ship supervised activities (and by intimating that I was trying to be mean!!!!!!!!!) I did not read anywhere that the poster meant that "somewhere" was in the ships supervised activities.

It would be helpful if that person clarified their post and also if posters could debate the topic rather than other posters:cool:

Wow, some people really read into things negatively! Why make up stories when you don't know background (and in no way my post would insinuate)? I see that time after time on threads on this board and it is just unnecessary!

To those who defended me, thank you.

I clearly stated that my son most likely will spend most of the time with us! Yes, this is a luxury cruise. It is great that the cruiseline offers kids programs during the cruise, but it absolutely does not replace family time! I also am well aware that most likely the kids are in make-shift kids rooms. The kids program was not the selling point of the ship. Like the OP, I like to plan things out and it was great to see what kind of itinerary is there. Also, please don't feel the need to shame those who take advantage of the kids club. It is there for a reason and some kids really enjoy it!

Another note, that "Somewhere" I was talking about was in the kids club. I don't plan on letting him roam the ship. Regardless of what he chooses to do, we are going on this cruise as a family and have amazing excursions on this port-heavy cruise. I have never heard of leaving a kid on a boat while you left the ship - would never think of that!

Regarding communication, we will be traveling in a party of 7 family members. I was just asking for how large parties keep in contact as well.

Let's turn this kid conversation around. Going forward, if you see a post regarding kids (and there will be posts), look at it in a different light. Look at kids being on this ship with their family, including Grandparents, Aunts and Uncles. I think everyone who has researched this line is very clear that there are other lines that have amazing activities for kids where you can sign the kids in for the whole day. We are looking forward to enjoying a luxury cruise with family. My son is well traveled and appreciates the great experiences we will have!

Now let's all play nice, okay? We are all planning amazing trips!

Thank you for clarifying what was obvious to most. Have a great cruise.(y)

I agree with the posters who believe that certain posters jumped to conclusions. I do not think that the TS (nor I who responded with the kids club activities) intends to abandon their kid on port days and spend no time with them (though I do not know the TS, I do know my intentions!). The point is to have a family vacation spending time exploring new areas. And just like adults who may want to spend time meeting others, the kids can do so in the kids club which are fully supervised by Regent staff.

Regent plans these events in the kids club and markets them to families. If they did not want kids on board, then they would not offer it or market it. After reading this you would think that pre teens and teenagers were barbarians! Instead of curious, growing people who have learned from a young age how to behave properly no matter what the environment. Some of the tone here is quite hostile which I am sure does not do the Regent brand justice. I think a few others on other threads have pointed out how off putting it must be for people who have never sailed Regent and reads these threads.

It is obvious that those who responded negatively have no clue how Children’s programs operate. It’s like a day camp.

I commend the OP for being proactive in providing a wonderful vacation for family.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No matter what negative things I have read, I am so excited about this cruise! My son is excited also! He studied the Iditarod in the 3rd grade (he soon will be going into 7th). How cool is it that we are going to meet some of the dogs and go dog sledding! He is also looking forward to Prime 7 - he is not a cheap date, he likes his filet ;-)

I realize some people may have had bad experiences. I absolutely do understand wanting a kid-free vacation. My husband and I went to an adult only resort a few years ago - I get it! It was nice not hearing kids screaming! On the Alaskan itinerary, though, kids are clearly welcomed by Regent.

No matter what negative things I have read, I am so excited about this cruise! My son is excited also! He studied the Iditarod in the 3rd grade (he soon will be going into 7th). How cool is it that we are going to meet some of the dogs and go dog sledding! He is also looking forward to Prime 7 - he is not a cheap date, he likes his filet ;-)

I realize some people may have had bad experiences. I absolutely do understand wanting a kid-free vacation. My husband and I went to an adult only resort a few years ago - I get it! It was nice not hearing kids screaming! On the Alaskan itinerary, though, kids are clearly welcomed by Regent.

We were posting at the same time. Please read my post above.

Just an fyi, kids clubs all have a parent sign the kid in and out. I'm assuming Regent does this as well. The activities are supervised. That is unfortunate what happened years ago. It sounds like there are no rules on roaming children. So, I can see that some may be unruly.

If my son is not in the kids club, most likely, he will be with a family member.

Kids will be kids, but not all are bad.

Kbarnum, back to your original post, I look forward to hearing how your cruise goes! I hope there are some bloggers on the upcoming Alaskan itineraries - reading them is great for planning, but also gets us excited!

Hope everyone has a great night. Chin up, move on forward!

I was also wondering if anyone had any feedback on the children’s program on the Alaskan sailings. I have read reviews that said there were 80 minors on board. I was curious to the venue and the activities and what to expect for a kids program. We are on the Mariner 6/30 sailing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ignore the kid haters! My daughter loved our Regent cruise to Alaska! She was only 7 and had a blast. She had previously cruised on NCL and Disney and had a wonderful time. We were on the Navigator and the made accommodations to create areas for kid activities. They even had wonderful children only dinners each night that they could choose to attend. Our daughter chose to do this for 2 or 3 nights because she thought it was fun. It must have been because she is quite the foodie. The butler even brought her escargot to the cabin because she would miss them in the dining room if she went to the kid's meal. Our daughter cruised on Seabourn in fourth grade and on Crystal the following year in addition to NCL cruises. I understand preparing them on the difference and our daughter gets it. They are very different experiences and she has fun on them all! Enjoy Alaska...it was one of our favorite trips.

Wow, this thread got real negative real fast....glad it’s turning around.

As a former Club Mariner regular myself from 2001-2011, your kids should have a great time, especially in Alaska. I normally went the first few nights, made my own friends and then we would usually plan our own activities if we didn’t want to attend them, but most of the time we got to do super cool stuff, like bake cookies in the galley, our own bridge & backstage tour, kid only dinners with special menus and have staff members come and talk to us (like a Q & A) Many of the people I met on Regent cruises I’m still friends with 8-10 years later, and I’m only 25. I grew up on these ships so I was held to a very high standard by my parents for my behavior and manners. It doesn’t sound like your kids will have any problems. Yes, there aren’t 5 pools and 4 water slides and video games but they’ll experience a lot more opportunities to create memories with their families. Regent does have board games but if you have small games your family likes to play, you can always pack those too and have a game night. Have a fantastic trip, Alaska is one of my favorite trips of all time, especially on Regent!!

Wow, this thread got real negative real fast....glad it’s turning around.

As a former Club Mariner regular myself from 2001-2011, your kids should have a great time, especially in Alaska. I normally went the first few nights, made my own friends and then we would usually plan our own activities if we didn’t want to attend them, but most of the time we got to do super cool stuff, like bake cookies in the galley, our own bridge & backstage tour, kid only dinners with special menus and have staff members come and talk to us (like a Q & A) Many of the people I met on Regent cruises I’m still friends with 8-10 years later, and I’m only 25. I grew up on these ships so I was held to a very high standard by my parents for my behavior and manners. It doesn’t sound like your kids will have any problems. Yes, there aren’t 5 pools and 4 water slides and video games but they’ll experience a lot more opportunities to create memories with their families. Regent does have board games but if you have small games your family likes to play, you can always pack those too and have a game night. Have a fantastic trip, Alaska is one of my favorite trips of all time, especially on Regent!!

Excellent post.

Good to hear your positive experiences.

Thank you all for the information. The archive of activities from LynnRuns what pretty spot on what I was looking for, thanks again! The tail of the thread did get noticeably more civilized. Doyousea, great input as well, the behind the scenes tours would be perfect for them. Hope they have as much fun as you seemed to have. No matter what we always make the best of the situation and am sure we will make memories. These trips are always 90% your attitude and most miserable experiences are self inflicted!

Thank you all for the information. The archive of activities from LynnRuns what pretty spot on what I was looking for, thanks again! The tail of the thread did get noticeably more civilized. Doyousea, great input as well, the behind the scenes tours would be perfect for them. Hope they have as much fun as you seemed to have. No matter what we always make the best of the situation and am sure we will make memories. These trips are always 90% your attitude and most miserable experiences are self inflicted!

You and your children will have a wonderful time. We have taken many trips on Regent both in the summer and during Christmas holidays with extended family which included children of various ages. All of them have created wonderful memories for the children and adults. Regent does a great job and we never heard the dreaded phrase “I’m bored.”