Bus/Shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau?

smilejesuslovesu

We were in Juneau in 2015 and if I remember correctly there was a bus/shuttle that goes to Mendenhall Glacier. Can anyone please tell me if that is still offered and if so what the cost is per person round trip, in 2015 it was $10 but I am not sure if it was round trip or one way.

Thank you in advance

I called the shuttle company last night to see if we could get a one way ticket back from the M. Glacier and they said no. I believe they said that buses run every 30 minutes.

We were hoping to take a taxi there and then take the shuttle back. A taxi is only 35 one way for the vehicle (not per person) and taxi companies have different passenger cars.

There is a city bus but I understand it take an hour to get there and they only stop at the entrance to the MH glacier. You would then need to walk just over a mile to get to the visitor center.

You can book a taxi for the return, too. People post about it there all the time. Have you checked into renting a car for the day? How big is your party? A rental might not be much more than the taxi RT plus you can go wherever you want whenever you want.

You can book a taxi for the return, too. People post about it there all the time. Have you checked into renting a car for the day? How big is your party? A rental might not be much more than the taxi RT plus you can go wherever you want whenever you want.

I will check out the taxi and like the flexibility it can bring. Not exactly sure how many of our friend will do our plan just yet. Thank you.

I will check out the taxi and like the flexibility it can bring. Not exactly sure how many of our friend will do our plan just yet. Thank you.

If you have a National Parks Senior pass be sure to bring it with. There is an admission of $5 per person now at the visitor center at Mendenhall Glacier. If you show your senior pass to the bus driver when you buy your ticket the bus fare is only $40 per person out to Mendenhall. I would seriously think about renting a car and going out to the Chapel by the Lake and the Shire of Saint Terese.

Your National Parks Senior pass will also get you into the Forest service Discovery Center in Ketchikan, it’s a pretty interesting place

Randy

We decided to rent a car in Juneau. Juneau car rental, $80.00 for the day, great choice. Go where you want, get out of town to see the countryside on our time table. We picked up car at AJ dock.

We decided to rent a car in Juneau. Juneau car rental, $80.00 for the day, great choice. Go where you want, get out of town to see the countryside on our time table. We picked up car at AJ dock.

That's a smart idea. We've rented a car a few times, there's a lot to see and do.

Randy

great information, thank you!

Thank you for all your ideas. I went to Costco travel and they wanted 300 dollars for a van. I will check additional companies and see what I can come up with.

Keep sending suggestions. We want to see the Shrine of St. Therese but nixed it because of difficulty in getting there. We don't want to be stranded after being dropped off by a taxi.

Thank you for all your ideas. I went to Costco travel and they wanted 300 dollars for a van. I will check additional companies and see what I can come up with.

Keep sending suggestions. We want to see the Shrine of St. Therese but nixed it because of difficulty in getting there. We don't want to be stranded after being dropped off by a taxi.

Okay I did try again and it looks like it defaulted to the next day, so the price was for 24 hours. I will look more.

We were in Juneau in 2015 and if I remember correctly there was a bus/shuttle that goes to Mendenhall Glacier. Can anyone please tell me if that is still offered and if so what the cost is per person round trip, in 2015 it was $10 but I am not sure if it was round trip or one way.

Thank you in advance

I was there this week. The Glacier Express bus (both the white and the blue) were $45 per person round trip. They ran on the half hour from both Juneau and Mendenhall. The last bus left the glacier at 3:00 the day we were there. I just did a little trip report on this week's visit HERE.

I was there this week. The Glacier Express bus (both the white and the blue) were $45 per person round trip. They ran on the half hour from both Juneau and Mendenhall. The last bus left the glacier at 3:00 the day we were there. I just did a little trip report on this week's visit HERE.

Thanks for the report, it looks beautiful and plan on walking the trail when I visit in Sept. Do you remember if you could get a one way ticket, we are doing whale watching and they are dropping us off at the glacier, thanks

• 2 weeks later...

We took a Alaska cruise in 2017. Based on Trip Advisorreviews we took the White bus (Juneau tours) to Mendenhall Glacier. The busstop is right at the cruise ship terminal and leaves every 30 minutes, takesabout 20 minutes. They return to the ship every 30 minutes all day long. Costwas 30 RT and included entrance fees. We bought the tickets online, just googleJuneau tours. Make sure sign up for the shuttle not the tour bus. Based on idahospud post, maybe the price has gone up but they alsohave a tour bus I think that is 45 RT. When you get Mendenhall Glacier, there are two nice easy hikes both fromthe visitor center. The most popular oneis Nugget Falls, nice and easy, flat, about 45 minutes RT. We like the trail oftime, hardly anyone takes it. Takes about 45-1 hr and has markers that shows where the glacieruse to reach. At one point, it shows Calvin Coolidge in a parking lot at theedge of the Glacier in the 1920’s that is now 5 miles from where the glacier isnow.