Cash payment ($5 bill) on ferries and buses

mygreyhound66

Greetings, I did see on the transportation site that it is acceptable to use a $5 bill (not singles) for the ferry and bus.

Has anyone had any luck in doing this recently? Many thanks........

You can’t use paper money on the buses. Only exact change, tokens or passes. Tokens or change gets deposited in a fare box. Some have reported being able to use currency on ferries. Possibly the ferry people were just being nice. Since they don’t use a fare box on the ferry that might be why. If I were collecting fares without a fare box I would probably prefer a five over exact change. I never tried as I always get tokens or a pass. It is so easy to get tokens or passes and they cost less than paying cash.

Edited by Charles4515

I used $1 us coins last year and they worked perfectly on the bus and ferry. I know not as light as $5 bills but was cheaper than a pass!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Tokens for $4.50 are cheaper than $5. Been going to Bermuda for 20 years and never used coins on buses or the ferry. Tokens are easy to get. There is a Visitor Information Center at each cruise terminal at the Dockyard that sells them.

Charles, I have always bought tokens at that kiosk across from the Frog and Onion near the ferry dock, and it is always a horrific, disorganized mess in there. Are you saying that tokens and passes can be purchased close to the ship in the visitor info centers you walk through when disembarking? If so, I am going to smack myself in the head with a big old, “duh!” then break into a Happy Dance.

Charles, I have always bought tokens at that kiosk across from the Frog and Onion near the ferry dock, and it is always a horrific, disorganized mess in there. Are you saying that tokens and passes can be purchased close to the ship in the visitor info centers you walk through when disembarking? If so, I am going to smack myself in the head with a big old, “duh!” then break into a Happy Dance.

Yes, the Visitor Information Centers on the cruise ship docks sell tokens and passes. Here is a picture at Kings Wharf where it’s on the outside of the cruise ship terminal building. They sell them out of those two windows.

20be2e5c96b73b195e2c2c3a1f695230.jpg

Tokens for $4.50 are cheaper than $5. Been going to Bermuda for 20 years and never used coins on buses or the ferry. Tokens are easy to get. There is a Visitor Information Center at each cruise terminal at the Dockyard that sells them.

I will not debate what you said about ease of the token, but I have been sailing to Bermuda annually for the last 10 years and still find the zones confusing. I was buying 3 day transportation passes until the last few years. Last year I used $1 coins and spent a few dollars more for one or two bus or ferry trips, but saved a significant amount compared to a transportation passes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I will not debate what you said about ease of the token, but I have been sailing to Bermuda annually for the last 10 years and still find the zones confusing. I was buying 3 day transportation passes until the last few years. Last year I used $1 coins and spent a few dollars more for one or two bus or ferry trips, but saved a significant amount compared to a transportation passes.

Tokens or passes it depends on my plans. I can do the math as to which makes the most sense. I only bought a three day pass my first time and that time was worth it because I did a lot of hopping on and off. I also take the minibuses and taxis when it makes sense. I am flexible. I have not bought the passes for a number of years now, just tokens for the ferry. The Orange or Blue ferries require the 14 zone token. After all these years I can figure out if I need a 3 zone or 14 zone token for the bus from the bus route map but in the beginning when I bought the tokens I would ask at the booth what I needed from point A to B and that is how I bought the right tokens. They always told me right.

We used $5. bills the last time we used the ferry. There was a group of us all using cash and the guys (attendants) didn't look twice. The buses however....as stated on the official transportation website - take coins (exact change), tickets, tokens or passes. It's $3.50 for 3 Zone and $5. for 14 Zone if using coins.

We went a couple of weeks ago and gave them $10 bill for the two of us to ride the ferry from dockyard to Hamilton. They told us cash only:cool:

Both coins and bills are "cash"...and the ferries and buses are certainly not "cash only". You can use tokens, transportation passes or transportation tickets.

If you're using the buses you can't use bills. Coins are the only acceptable form of cash. That restriction doesn't apply to the ferries.

Going to Bermuda in 2 weeks and plan on buying the 3 day pass. I just have found it easier in the past to have it instead of dealing with the tokens. I do think if you broke it down it's probably a bit more. Depending on what your planning on doing. For us we are taking my daughter and her friend who are in their 20's and this way there's no worries they can go anywhere on the island by ferry and bus and not be confused with having exact change or tokens.For my husband and I we just like to have that part paid up front for. One less thing to deal with.

Going to Bermuda in 2 weeks and plan on buying the 3 day pass. I just have found it easier in the past to have it instead of dealing with the tokens. I do think if you broke it down it's probably a bit more. Depending on what your planning on doing. For us we are taking my daughter and her friend who are in their 20's and this way there's no worries they can go anywhere on the island by ferry and bus and not be confused with having exact change or tokens.For my husband and I we just like to have that part paid up front for. One less thing to deal with.

The passes do usually end up costing more. They are convenient though. I have only been using tokens the last few years. Unfortunately the bus and ferries have declined. Not enough buses in service to handle passengers at the Dockyard. This year the ferry service to Hamilton is reduced by a third. I take the private services now when I go to Horseshoe. Minibus for $7 or a taxi. So tokens make the most sense for me.

The last few years they have not sold the three day pass at the Dockyard. Unless they have changed that only the one and two day passes are sold there.

Update live. Greetings. I am the OP. We are here and in fact departing in about an hour and a half. We were indeed using $5 bills on the ferry and for a couple we did utilize a $10 bill. There were no questions no comments it was fine. We did not use the public bus so cannot comment to that. I do hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We used $1 bills for the ferry. There was no problem at all. I wonder if they say $5 because Bermudian currency only has a $1 coin and they don’t want people handing the 5 of those or 2 $2 bills and a $1 coin.

We used $1 bills for the ferry. There was no problem at all. I wonder if they say $5 because Bermudian currency only has a $1 coin and they don’t want people handing the 5 of those or 2 $2 bills and a $1 coin.

They say "$5" because that's the cash fare, not because they want any particular size bill or coin.

Nowhere do they say the fare is $5 in the form of a $5 bill only.

They say "$5" because that's the cash fare, not because they want any particular size bill or coin.

Nowhere do they say the fare is $5 in the form of a $5 bill only.

I’m just going by what people on this thread are saying about have to use a $5 bill. 🤷

I’m just going by what people on this thread are saying about have to use a $5 bill. 🤷

I don't get what you're trying to say because your own personal experience proves that they take $1 bills. They'll also take coins, tokens, transportation passes and transportation tickets.

There was one person who made the a completely incorrect statement that they take "cash only" .

The thread's original post makes an incorrect statement that "the transportation site" says it's acceptable to use a $5 bill, but not singles, for the bus and ferry. Well, that's wrong on a number of counts. There's no "transportation site" that says that and further no bills of any denomination can be used on the buses.

So I think you're referring to incorrect posts as the source of your statement "what the people on this thread are saying".

I don't get what you're trying to say because your own personal experience proves that they take $1 bills. They'll also take coins, tokens, transportation passes and transportation tickets.

There was one person who made the a completely incorrect statement that they take "cash only" .

The thread's original post makes an incorrect statement that "the transportation site" says it's acceptable to use a $5 bill, but not singles, for the bus and ferry. Well, that's wrong on a number of counts. There's no "transportation site" that says that and further no bills of any denomination can be used on the buses.

So I think you're referring to incorrect posts as the source of your statement "what the people on this thread are saying".

Take a deep breathe. Based on the OP’s first post, I was simply stating why they may have heard that. Yes, I also referenced how it wasn’t the case for us. Why is this such a big deal for you? People are having a simple conversation.

Take a deep breathe. Based on the OP’s first post, I was simply stating why they may have heard that. Yes, I also referenced how it wasn’t the case for us. Why is this such a big deal for you? People are having a simple conversation.

Very simply if misinformation is allowed to go unchallenged then we're faced with an ongoing problem of people reading it and assuming its true, and making life more difficult for those of us who spend a lot of time on the board answering posters' question.

People start citing erroneous information like "you can only use $5 bills, not singles on the ferry" and "they told us cash only" , because after all if you read it on the Internet it must be true. :rolleyes:

Just returned from Bermuda today.

Here is what we used:

$5 bill for Hamilton Ferry.

Token 14 zone (from the token book) for bus and ferry.

This is what we observed:

People using the coin token, paper token, $5 bills for bus.

Same for ferry.

Just returned from Bermuda today.

Here is what we used:

$5 bill for Hamilton Ferry.

Token 14 zone (from the token book) for bus and ferry.

This is what we observed:

People using the coin token, paper token, $5 bills for bus.

Same for ferry.

Thank you for posting, but

what is a token book? paper token?

SBtS