Question about money on the cruise/debit card

Okay, first apologies, as I did look through the threads but didn't really find anyone with quite the same question. We have pre-paid for a drink package and excursion and have a credit card on our sign and sail account, a $100 credit for the account, plus I have a Carnival gfit card I can add to that account once onboard (that's how Carnival told me to do it). So we were planning to take a decent amount of cash with us just for the meals the day before when we fly in (we're staying with a friend so no hotel and related expenses), various tipping stuff, and anything we may need in the two ports with no excursion--like if we want something to eat or drink there since we're not big souvenir people.

So, we were thinking that we'd just bring the cash and a couple of our credit cards with us and leave our debit card at home. Issues with that plan from others that have cruised before? My thought is that avoids the potential for theft/fraud of the debit card that's tied to our bank account. I know that the damage can be limited but still the money account can get cleaned out fast and it takes time to get it resolved. And if it's just compromised but still in my possession, I might not know about it right away.

In an emergency situation, I would be able to get cash via the credit cards, albeit not ideal due to interest rate for cash advance.

Sounds like a good plan to me. You could still being your debit card for the emergency just lock it in your cabin safe. Make sure to have small bills when you go into the ports, it's kind of hard to haggle down a price for a souvenir by say that you only have x amount of cash than hand the vendor a large bill.

You do not mention the ports you are visiting so I assume you are planning on dollars working. If so, bring some small bills. Your plan could work fine as you have outlined it. It is not something I would do as I have no fears of carrying my debit card and like the ability to withdraw cash as needed without cost. Also I do a lot of foriegn travel where the need for local currency comes into play.

We'll be in the Western Caribbean, ports are Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. We did plan to have some small bills as we had been informed that was a good plan for in port and of course for tips for porters, shuttle drivers at various points, etc. I had been told that USD was fine in those areas.

My daughter has had her debit card compromised three times (every time it was still in her possession--at least once they suspected that it was a skimmer situation), and two of my coworkers have had multiple issues as well so I tend to be super cautious, especially when travelling. And, since I won't be reachable via phone for the credit union to alert me of suspected fraud, I wouldn't necessarily know about it right away.

You don't need both a credit card and a debit card on your cruise. Your on board account will be set up with one or the other, or as a cash account if preferred. Just choose your preferred method, which would seem to be a credit card. Either way having your debit card with you and using it are two different things. There is no risk to having it with you, but if you prefer leave it at home.

US $ are find anywhere in the Caribbean - certainly in all of the ports of call you will be visiting.

I'd bring the debit card if I were you, but would leave that on the ship in the safe. I would only use that to get money from the ATM on the boat before/at the end of each port day if you need to refill. Each port day, I don't normally bring more than $100 cash with me. I bring the credit card to port as well, and charge everything possible.

The only thing that I would caution you if you decide not to bring a debit card is that if you do a cash advance on your credit card, there is a fee attached to that transaction and the interest charges start accumulating immediately (no grace period to pay it off without interest charges).

Look, I tend to charge everything I do to my credit card mainly for the bit of cash back each month and I pay off my credit card each month. Since my plans have my staying in Miami for a few days, I know where all of the CO-OP ATMs are plus, if needed, a CO-OP branch where I can do banking with my credit union. Not to mention using a supermarket to get cash back.

You can definitely leave the debit card at home. No worries. Bring more cash than you think you'll need, unless you plan to use the credit card for most misc. purchases...you can always redeposit any unspent cash to your account when you get home.

I would bring the debit card, and at least 2 if not 3 credit cards.

Debit card in case of emergency to get cash. Better than using credit card to get cash. Credit card normally charges a fee, plus 3%, plus interest from the minute you take the cash.

Why more than one credit card? In case a card gets hacked and shut off. For me, it seems my always get hacked while I am on an outbound flight. At least 3 times, when I landed at my first foreign airport, I got a text questioning a charge, and every time, it has been a fraudulent charge. Having another card makes life much easier.

And once I had a card shut off by the card company. Their explanation is, the card was used at a hotel in the morning in one country, and was attempted to be used that evening at a hotel in another country. I asked the agent if he ever heard of an AIRPLANE. And this was my work travel card. :D

Do not pay anything on the ship with your debit card as the cruise line will put daily holds on it and then they might not be removed in a timely manner. Only use your credit cards PERIOD.

I only travel with one credit card, and little cash when I cruise. You basically have all your on board purchases pre paid, so you really don't need much more. Just some singles for tipping barmen etc. and maybe a twetny or two for you steward if you want to tip them above the daily service charge.

Personally, I always bring more cash than I think I need, 2 credit cards, and my debit card. I NEVER use my debit card on caribbean cruises since I don’t need local currency. I just keep it locked in the safe, but I do like having it in case of an emergency.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums