Nurenburg to Budapest at Christmas time

Unregistered, just back from your river cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
River Cruising
Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:45 PM.
Pompano Beach, Florida, USA
136 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
I would love to hear from River cruisers about their experience cruising Nuremberg to Budapest at Christmas time. Seriously thinking about this cruise..How cold is it..will we still enjoy it?
Interested in all your thoughts..
Thanks Dave
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Texas
245 Posts
Joined May 2016
Usually it is cold and gray. The chill adds to the Christmas enjoyment for me. There are a few sunny days. Sometimes it snows, which I really enjoy. If you hate cold weather don't go.

You might check accuweather.com for temps in your ports for the month of December. (Select month option for the city and then use the prompt to move to next month and so forth. There you will find the daily average temps.)

Pack warm clothes and prepare for a very fine experience.
395 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Dave

We sailed AMA this past holiday - Christmas Day to New Years Day - Passau to Budapest.
Layers my friend - wills serve you well.
We were fortunate to have cool, grey BUT DRY days - temps to low 50's during the day.
Seriously one of our best vacations - EVER - has hooked me on river cruising - would go again over the holidays in a heartbeat...but would love to go a few days prior to Christmas to experience more of the markets (and not disembark new years day...that was a tough one

any questions - ask away!

Bob
Pompano Beach, Florida, USA
136 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Thank you robertmartha and xmaser I appreciate your input...Growing up in New England i always appreciated the Holiday season. I lived in California and Nevada for many years and now reside in florida past 18 yrs so i have concerns about adjusting to the cold...I'm a romantic at heart and think this would be an awesome cruise...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
395 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Dave

If you dress in layers you should do fine.
One can never predict the weather but I found a layer of thin insulate garments (I use the 32 degrees brand) top and bottom, a pair of jeans, sweater and I choose to wear a short rain jacket (water repellant) - hat and gloves (handy) and I was fine. Good sturdy walking boots and thick wool socks (my feet were NEVER cold)
One trick we did pick up from these boards - hand warmers!
My wife's friend gave us a box of 30 (it was my wife and 2 college age daughters on the trip) and we had a dozen and while it took up valuable carry on space (airport screeners pulled us aside going thru security!) they made all the difference while walking around at night when the temps dipped down
441 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by Action Dave
...Growing up in New England i always appreciated the Holiday season. I lived in California and Nevada for many years and now reside in florida past 18 yrs so i have concerns about adjusting to the cold...I'm a romantic at heart and think this would be an awesome cruise...
We are in FL as well and had some of the same concerns prior to doing a Christmas Markets cruise on the Danube in 2016. We enjoyed it so much, though, that we came home and booked another one for this year with a slightly different itinerary. We found the temps varied from the mid-20s to the mid-50s, with some periods of rain and snow flurries. As others have said, the key is to dress in layers. Two of my best purchases were long silk underwear and SmartWool socks and sock liners. It's a wonderful way of getting into the spirit of the holidays!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
2018 - Uniworld SS Maria Theresa - Danube Holiday Markets, Budapest - Passau
Past:
2016 - Uniworld SS Maria Theresa - European Holiday Markets - Vienna to Nuremberg
2015 - Uniworld SS Antoinette - Castles Along the Rhine - Amsterdam to Basel

California
516 Posts
Joined Oct 2011
I shopped at the end of last winter season for warm boots and a few layers for our upcoming Christmas cruise on the Danube. Nothing like planning ahead!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Celebrity Summit Aug. - Sept. 2005 Alaska
Victoria Queen Oct. 2007 Yangtze River
Princess Crown Nov. 2008 Eastern Caribbean
Uniworld Beatrice June 2010 Danube River
Holland America Maasdam Oct 2011 Eastern Canada & NE
Uniworld River Victoria May 2012 Russia
Regent Seven Seas Voyager Nov 2013 Venice-Istanbul
Uniworld Antoinette Oct 2014 Castles Along the Rhine
Uniworld River Baroness & SS Catherine April 26 2015 Grand France
Uniworld River Tosca January 2017 Egypt
Uniworld Maria Theresa Christmas and New Years December 2018 Danube
The Delaware Beaches
2,914 Posts
Joined Aug 2002
Four of us are booked on SS Beatrice for this cruise (Uniworld) 12/22) this year...less than 200 days, now as we booked last December! We are incredibly excited, and will arrive in Munich December 13 to do Munich, Prague and Frankfurt pre-cruise. We shopped the late winter sales and, as another cruiser has said, got great deals on 32Degrees layers, as well as packable down jackets rated to 4F. We can't think of a more romantic, seasonable, joyful time of year to do the Christmas Markets and enjoy the ambience! (I grew up in Southern California and am not a great fan of the cold, LOL, but simply can't wait for this trip). Hope to see ya soon!!!
Originally posted by Action Dave
I would love to hear from River cruisers about their experience cruising Nuremberg to Budapest at Christmas time. Seriously thinking about this cruise..How cold is it..will we still enjoy it?
Interested in all your thoughts..
Thanks Dave
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Celebrity Eclipse 10/27/19 R/T Hawaii
Celebrity EDGE 3/24/19 E.Caribbean
Uniworld S.S.Beatrice 12/22/18 Ultimate Christmas & New Years
.Radiance of the Seas 4/12/10 Mexican Riviera (WooMooFoo Crew)
.Azmara Quest 2/6/10 Hong Kong to Singapore (w/ROBB)
.CelebrityEquinox 12/14/09 Southern/Eastern Caribbean
.OASIS of the Seas 11/20/09 Pre-Inaugural Cruise to Nowhere
,Legend of the Seas 5/8/09 Singapore-Dubai-Rome B2B (w/ROBB)
.Mariner of the Seas 11/09/08 The Ohana Sails Again!!! (WOOsssh)
.Radiance of the Seas 9/12/08
.Independence of the Seas INAUGURAL 5/2/08
.Splendour of the Seas 2/10/08-Santos to Valparaiso - Member Cruise
.Serenade of the Seas 10/5/07 Hawaii Roundtrip -the Ohana at sea - charter member of WOOsssh
.Legend of the Seas - Greece & Egypt 5/19/07
.Jewel of the Seas 10/31/06 – A “BOO”tiful Cruise
.Radiance of the Seas 8/19/06 - Alaska Cruisetour
.Empress of the Seas 4/21/06 - Phila repositioning
.Serenade of the Seas 10/17/05 - Sexy Serenaders - Panama Canal
.Grandeur of the Seas 4/05 – New Orleans repositioning
.Empress of the Seas 3/05 – Southern Carib
.Serenade of the Seas 9/04 - Alaska
.Vision of the Seas 5/04 – repositioning
.Vision of the Seas 9/03 – Mexican Riviera
.Adventure of the Seas 9/02 – Southern Caribbean
.Adventure of the Seas 5/02 – Southern Caribbean
long island, ny
108 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
We are booked on a Viking cruise from Nuremberg to Budepest for December 2019 for our first river cruise after many ocean cruises.
I would also appreciate any information or tips that previous cruisers have had on this itinerary. Thanks!
United States
144 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Our very first river cruise was this itinerary - though we did earlier in December to see the Christmas markets. Weather was generally in the 40’s but with my long down coat, I had no problem. But then, I live in Wisconsin!

We loved this itinerary- docking close to the old town in many cases, was great. Of course the markets had mulled wine and other hot drinks to warm up with. We’ve taken a number of river cruises since then. I have to say that this one was a favorite!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
long island, ny
108 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Our reason for doing this cruise is to see the Christmas markets. A long held wish of mine.
Are they all similar? Once you see a few, does it get repetitive? Should we plan other excursions for some of the ports? How large are they?
Thanks for any advice!
The Delaware Beaches
2,914 Posts
Joined Aug 2002
Originally posted by trivia addict
Our reason for doing this cruise is to see the Christmas markets. A long held wish of mine.
Are they all similar? Once you see a few, does it get repetitive? Should we plan other excursions for some of the ports? How large are they?
Thanks for any advice!
Although we're on Uniworld and not Viking, we've done extensive research into the Christmas Markets. This is truly a bucket list trip for us! We leave the U.S. on 12/12 and will visit Munich, Prague and Frankfurt before going on to Nuremberg the day before our ship leaves. Each of the cities' markets have their own flavors. There are specialties in food, beverage and collectibles in each one. We're doing a list of the food/bev highlights for each city, hoping to graze our way through! By the time we return to the States on 1/3, I'm sure we will have tried dozens of sausages, beers, wines, pretzels and the like, and will have lots of collectibles as well as fantastic memories of the whole trip!! Really exciting stuff!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Celebrity Eclipse 10/27/19 R/T Hawaii
Celebrity EDGE 3/24/19 E.Caribbean
Uniworld S.S.Beatrice 12/22/18 Ultimate Christmas & New Years
.Radiance of the Seas 4/12/10 Mexican Riviera (WooMooFoo Crew)
.Azmara Quest 2/6/10 Hong Kong to Singapore (w/ROBB)
.CelebrityEquinox 12/14/09 Southern/Eastern Caribbean
.OASIS of the Seas 11/20/09 Pre-Inaugural Cruise to Nowhere
,Legend of the Seas 5/8/09 Singapore-Dubai-Rome B2B (w/ROBB)
.Mariner of the Seas 11/09/08 The Ohana Sails Again!!! (WOOsssh)
.Radiance of the Seas 9/12/08
.Independence of the Seas INAUGURAL 5/2/08
.Splendour of the Seas 2/10/08-Santos to Valparaiso - Member Cruise
.Serenade of the Seas 10/5/07 Hawaii Roundtrip -the Ohana at sea - charter member of WOOsssh
.Legend of the Seas - Greece & Egypt 5/19/07
.Jewel of the Seas 10/31/06 – A “BOO”tiful Cruise
.Radiance of the Seas 8/19/06 - Alaska Cruisetour
.Empress of the Seas 4/21/06 - Phila repositioning
.Serenade of the Seas 10/17/05 - Sexy Serenaders - Panama Canal
.Grandeur of the Seas 4/05 – New Orleans repositioning
.Empress of the Seas 3/05 – Southern Carib
.Serenade of the Seas 9/04 - Alaska
.Vision of the Seas 5/04 – repositioning
.Vision of the Seas 9/03 – Mexican Riviera
.Adventure of the Seas 9/02 – Southern Caribbean
.Adventure of the Seas 5/02 – Southern Caribbean
351 Posts
Joined May 2013
Dave,
Is the cruise you are contemplating a Christmas markets cruise or a Christmas New Year's cruise?
If you want to go to the markets, be aware most shut down on the 24th, so no markets the week between Christmas and New year's.
As others have said, dress for the weather. It can be damp and cold...make sure your feet stay dry.
We have travelled this route twice with Uniworld 's Grand Christmas and New year's and every day was wonderful, even the grey misty damp ones.
RB
395 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Dave

Agree with RB - if you are sailing for the markets sail prior to the 23rd/24th when most close up. We were lucky to spend the 23rd thru the 25th in Munich pre cruise and markets in full swing on the 23rd and until 1pm on Christmas Eve. While we loved our holiday sailing Christmas thru New Yrs Day - it was a bit sad seeing the shuttered markets in all the ports - we would have loved to experience them all. And the smaller towns were all but deserted for the holidays. If we did this "holiday" sailing again - would definitely want to experience more of the ports prior to Christmas Eve. Major cities were bustling though - Vienna and Budapest.
90 Posts
Joined May 2010
Any of the Christmas market cruises are great. We did the Viking Rhine Getaway, Basel to Amsterdam, in Dec 2013 and the Viking Romantic Danube, Budapest to Nuremberg, in Dec 2015. Both were great. I really enjoyed the smaller markets in some of the smaller towns. The market in Budapest may be the best of all, but the one at the palace in Vienna was pretty spectacular also. All of them have great food and drinks. They do get pretty crowded, especially on the weekends. The weather will be cool to cold, just the luck of the draw and mother nature, but you can dress appropriately for it. Do be aware that on Sundays in Germany most everything, museums, etc, is closed so if you are there on a Sunday, you need to find other options. The markets are open but if you've already been through the Nuremberg market, you may want to try something different. We took the train to Bamberg, suggested by our Viking tour guide, and spent the day there. Great little town with spectacular churches (is there anywhere in Europe without spectacular churches?) and a nice Christmas market. You will enjoy it.
Texas
245 Posts
Joined May 2016
If I recall correctly, in Germany shops tend to be closed on Sunday but MUSEUMS are regularly closed on Monday. The Christmas markets in large cities are open daily - in smaller places on weekends or just selected weekends.