Explorer Suite 700

forgap

There is a new review of the Explorer in the CC review site that is extremely negative. I usually take these reviews with a grain of salt but I found it curious that the poster said that they were not allowed to use the veranda as it distracted the bridge. Hmmm. Music? Lights? Loud conversation? Nudity?

This is a penthouse C cabin. I have never heard of passengers not being allowed to use the veranda! Any ideas?

Since the Bridge is 3 decks above suite 700, the mind boggles as to what they were doing on their balcony that could be seen by, and was so distracting to, those on the Bridge.

All in all I am very surprised that CC let this review be published with so many unsubstantiated and serious allegations.

IMHO the review says more about the reviewer than about Explorer.

The previous review is also quite bizarre.

Having thoroughly enjoyed the ship and the cruise the reviewer only awards 2 stars.

The reviewer liked the Regent dress code but objected to being asked to leave a bar after 6pm when wearing shorts. :rolleyes:

Still, it takes all sorts to make the world go around and everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Wow. I would NOT want to be on a cruise with that person. Anger issues galore.

If I ever make negative comments in a review, I at least make an attempt to explain what happened. That entire “review” is just strange...

I think "warts and all" reviews can be more helpful than some of the gushing (sponsored?) infomercials we sometimes see, but this one was written either by someone with all kinds of issues, or a good old fashioned troll just making mischief.

I find all reviews helpful; they help me manage my expectations prior to cruising to avoid disappointment. This review however was too vague and I found it unhelpful.

Cruise Critic members are usually informative with corrective feedback but not this time. Feedback is encouraged and I am glad to see that we see through the not so sincere comments.

I haven’t looked at the deck plan but if this suite Is directly below the Bridge, even a couple of decks below then the occupants won’t be able to have any lights on their balcony at night and will have to keep curtains closed in the suite. The light disturbs navigation at night. That said, the fellow has an attitude. I would not like to cruise with him...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I haven’t looked at the deck plan but if this suite Is directly below the Bridge, even a couple of decks below then the occupants won’t be able to have any lights on their balcony at night and will have to keep curtains closed in the suite. The light disturbs navigation at night. That said, the fellow has an attitude. I would not like to cruise with him...

Gerry, the bridge is several decks above the 7th deck. Like yourselves, we have stayed in forward suites and have not been asked to keep the lights off. Perhaps they were being kept on for hours or all-night? I wasn't aware that lights could affect navigation - I learn something new every day. I seem to remember lights being strung across the bow of the ship that are kept on all night. In any case, it is a shame that the review made it on to CC as it isn't just about a person's opinion of a cruise but has information that is clearly incorrect.

Our last cruise, Nov 17, on Riviera we were in a Vista Suite, deck 9. So two decks under the bridge. We were told in writing and verbally that we could not use the terrace after dark, and had to keep the curtains in the suite closed so as not to distract the Bridge. (Light pollution, I suppose)

We did in fact go onto the terrace at night but without any lights. This was OK

Our last cruise, Nov 17, on Riviera we were in a Vista Suite, deck 9. So two decks under the bridge. We were told in writing and verbally that we could not use the terrace after dark, and had to keep the curtains in the suite closed so as not to distract the Bridge. (Light pollution, I suppose)

We did in fact go onto the terrace at night but without any lights. This was OK

Gerry - that is interesting. As you know, we were in suite 1201 on the Explorer and did not receive a request to keep the lights off. On the other hand, there was no way one could stand out in the front of the ship at night due to the high winds while at sea.

It just occurred to me that 1201 is above - not below the bridge on Explorer. Still, the bridge on the Navigator is on deck 11 which is fairly far from the bridge but maybe they don't want lights on in any forward suite.

What they will hear in 700 is the anchor going up and coming down which is extremely noisy first things in the morning.

A pp wrote:

“In any case, it is a shame that the review made it on to CC as it isn't just about a person's opinion of a cruise but has information that is clearly incorrect.”

The valuable information I learned from this thread caused me not to book this suite. It was the only Penthouse C available on my cruise and I considered booking until I read this review and posts from Gerry.

Thanks for posting.

What information is clearly incorrect?

On Explorer, each Day-1 copy of Passages has the following printed announcement:

BALCONY LIGHTS OFF WHILE SAILING

For maximum navigational safety while sailing at night, all guests residing in forward suites are requested to turn balcony lights off. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation.

On Explorer, each Day-1 copy of Passages has the following printed announcement:

BALCONY LIGHTS OFF WHILE SAILING

For maximum navigational safety while sailing at night, all guests residing in forward suites are requested to turn balcony lights off. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation.

That is very interesting. Thanks for posting! In our 31 Regent cruises, I have never read that in Passages (but admittedly, the only thing we are concerned about on Day 1 is unpacking, muster and getting dressed for dinner).

I looked for the review again today and couldn't find it. When I posted earlier I felt that the comment about no lights being on in front suites was not correct but obviously it is. Every time we have been in a front suite, it has been unusable when the ship was sailing which is generally at night. If the ship was in port when it got dark (in the winter for instance), the lights on the balcony would not likely disturb anyone.

I have to wonder what the criteria is for CC to publish a review. When I submitted my last review, it was over a week before it was actually published. If they were examining the review for appropriateness I have no problem. But I have to wonder what the standards are.

Clearly, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and not everyone will enjoy Regent, that's fine.

Compared to the other 10 cruises they have been on, the food and entertainment was "horrible" and "awful". OK, Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

"you have few options to eat at"...let's see...Compass Rose, Setti Mari, Prime 7, Chartreuse, Pacific Rim....I have to wonder at the options that they had on their other 10 cruises.

As to their chief concern, if, in fact, they were planning on using their veranda after dark with the lights on, and were not allowed to do so and were not informed of this ahead of time, this is absolutely a legitimate complaint. But this is not what was expressed in the review. They said that they were not allowed to use their veranda, period. IMHO, this is quite disingenuous, as is the comment about "having to get dressed up just to walk around the boat". Regent is not the only cruise line with an evening dress code.

Edited by boblerm

I think "warts and all" reviews can be more helpful than some of the gushing (sponsored?) infomercials we sometimes see, but this one was written either by someone with all kinds of issues, or a good old fashioned troll just making mischief.

Greetings from South Beach, RustyPollock. That is certainly a "warts and all" review on steroids. Such extreme negativity about everything gave me the impression this poster never sailed on Explorer. Maybe someone in the family took a trip and left this one home. With correct info about the voyage, the writer can provide the credentials needed to post a review. Just a speculation.

Mary

Not to beat a dead horse (although I guess I am), it continues to bug me that this review was published in the CC Review section. This is from CC's guidelines in regard to reviews:

"We look for reviews that are comprehensive in nature — covering all aspects of your cruise in detail. Short, paragraph-long reviews will be returned for posting on our message board forums."

Somehow, simply saying that everything was horrible and awful doesn't meet this standard. If one finds that the food was consistently horrible, fine. I'd like to know if it was under seasoned, overcooked, what was it that was so horrible about it? The entertainment was awful, ok. Were the singers and the orchestra out of tune, the dancers clumsy, why did you hate it so much?

I just do not see how this is in any way helpful for someone interested in reading about legitimate cruise experiences. Then again, 14 readers marked this review as "helpful", so what do I know?:confused:

Bob

Not to beat a dead horse (although I guess I am), it continues to bug me that this review was published in the CC Review section. This is from CC's guidelines in regard to reviews:

"We look for reviews that are comprehensive in nature — covering all aspects of your cruise in detail. Short, paragraph-long reviews will be returned for posting on our message board forums."

Somehow, simply saying that everything was horrible and awful doesn't meet this standard. If one finds that the food was consistently horrible, fine. I'd like to know if it was under seasoned, overcooked, what was it that was so horrible about it? The entertainment was awful, ok. Were the singers and the orchestra out of tune, the dancers clumsy, why did you hate it so much?

I just do not see how this is in any way helpful for someone interested in reading about legitimate cruise experiences. Then again, 14 readers marked this review as "helpful", so what do I know?:confused:

Bob

Great points and I also do not understand how this review made it through.

They said that they were not allowed to use their veranda, period. IMHO, this is quite disingenuous, as is the comment about "having to get dressed up just to walk around the boat".

If this ‘reviewer’ considers Regent’s dress code ‘dressed up’ I’d hate to see what they consider ‘casual’. :rolleyes:

I just do not see how this is in any way helpful for someone interested in reading about legitimate cruise experiences. Then again, 14 readers marked this review as "helpful", so what do I know?

Maybe Crystal shareholders? :')