Regent announces new on board booking discount

WesW

Are you booked on a voyage and already have your next one in mind? There is no need to wait to sail to take advantage of our Onboard Savings Program and secure your preferred suite. As early as 30 days before you embark, you can book your future cruise while taking advantage of exclusive savings of up to $2,000 per suite. Our new Onboard Savings Program is simplified based on the length of the voyage booked and no blackout dates apply. What’s more, you’ll receive an instant Shipboard Credit of $200 per suite on your current upcoming voyage for booking a new future voyage.

Are you booked on a voyage and already have your next one in mind? There is no need to wait to sail to take advantage of our Onboard Savings Program and secure your preferred suite. As early as 30 days before you embark, you can book your future cruise while taking advantage of exclusive savings of up to $2,000 per suite. Our new Onboard Savings Program is simplified based on the length of the voyage booked and no blackout dates apply. What’s more, you’ll receive an instant Shipboard Credit of $200 per suite on your current upcoming voyage for booking a new future voyage.

Wes, but the flat-rate credits seem quite small; a lot smaller than the 5% onboard booking discount provided by Silversea. Am I missing something?

Marc

Marc, believe you're right. Just checked what our on board discount for March Mariner Myanmar voyage. It now would be a much less with this new flat-rate structure, tho think the on board credit doubled from $100 to $200

Yes while I think this savings program has been simplified, there is a large reduction in savings for longer voyages. For example the savings that we received for booking a future Grand Voyage in a Penthouse Suite has gone from $4200 to $2000 for the Suite.

I also haven’t seen any reference to the price guarantee. Does anyone know if that has been eliminated? If so, I will be very disappointed.

Pat and Marg

Indeed. I was asking about the price for a 10-night cruise with 3 people in a cabin, and the on-board discount quoted to me was the equivalent of a 1.5% discount. Yes, that's a decimal in the middle. And that was a discount off the fare with the air credit subtracted--no discount on that.

The main "improvements" seem to be that, as you indicate, the amount of the OBC goes up. And you can get the OBC even if you've booked the cruise ahead of boarding, you can get the OBC. Which in the past I'd been told was not the case. However, that's only up to 30 days in advance.

Also, it is not clear, but it does seem like, if your cabin category becomes unavailable between the time you book and the time you embark, you can still get the discount and OBC. But, again, the time frame is only 30 days before.

"I also haven’t seen any reference to the price guarantee. Does anyone know if that has been eliminated? If so, I will be very disappointed. "

Looks like the price guarantee is still in place......

From the "fine print" of the new Onboard Savings Program (on RSSC web site):

Best Price Guarantee applies when another applicable public promotion offers a better price on the cruise guest has selected. Guest will be able to take advantage of this new promotion plus the added benefit of the applicable Onboard Savings by having their travel agent call Regent Seven Seas Cruises to have the new promotion added to their reservation (subject to availability). Should there be a price reduction after final payment has been paid, the difference will be given to guest in the form of a Shipboard Credit, suite upgrade, or a Future Cruise Credit at Regent Seven Seas Cruises’ discretion.

"I also haven’t seen any reference to the price guarantee. Does anyone know if that has been eliminated? If so, I will be very disappointed. "

Looks like the price guarantee is still in place......

From the "fine print" of the new Onboard Savings Program (on RSSC web site):

Best Price Guarantee applies when another applicable public promotion offers a better price on the cruise guest has selected. Guest will be able to take advantage of this new promotion plus the added benefit of the applicable Onboard Savings by having their travel agent call Regent Seven Seas Cruises to have the new promotion added to their reservation (subject to availability). Should there be a price reduction after final payment has been paid, the difference will be given to guest in the form of a Shipboard Credit, suite upgrade, or a Future Cruise Credit at Regent Seven Seas Cruises’ discretion.

Looks like the fine print needs lots of parsing:

1. If you don't watch the prices, you don't get the discount.
  2. Does it HAVE to be called in by an Agent? What about direct bookings?
  3. Subject to Availability? Of what the identical size suite? What if your exact is not available but one up is cheaper than one's current booked suite, are you out of luck.
  4. Regent gets to choose the form of refund, including as an upgrade. What if you don't like the location of the "upgrade?" They want to put you in the back of the NAV!!

Doesn't seem like much of a Guarantee to me.

J

"I also haven’t seen any reference to the price guarantee. Does anyone know if that has been eliminated? If so, I will be very disappointed. " Looks like the price guarantee is still in place...... From the "fine print" of the new Onboard Savings Program (on RSSC web site): Best Price Guarantee applies when another applicable public promotion offers a better price on the cruise guest has selected. Guest will be able to take advantage of this new promotion plus the added benefit of the applicable Onboard Savings by having their travel agent call Regent Seven Seas Cruises to have the new promotion added to their reservation (subject to availability). Should there be a price reduction after final payment has been paid, the difference will be given to guest in the form of a Shipboard Credit, suite upgrade, or a Future Cruise Credit at Regent Seven Seas Cruises’ discretion.
Looks like the fine print needs lots of parsing:

1. If you don't watch the prices, you don't get the discount.
  2. Does it HAVE to be called in by an Agent? What about direct bookings?
  3. Subject to Availability? Of what the identical size suite? What if your exact is not available but one up is cheaper than one's current booked suite, are you out of luck.
  4. Regent get to choose form of refund, including as an upgrade. What if you don't like the location of the "upgrade" they want to put you in, like in the back of the NAV!!

Doesn't seem like much of a Guarantee to me. J

After reading this I am very happy that we are booked through March 2020. This sounds very similar to a change made by Oceania (not the same topic but a similar customer "advertising campaign" that was decreasing passengers benefits).

Personally I am unhappy with many of the newer changes. This happened to Regent when PCH (Prestige Cruise Holdings) purchased Regent but some of the changes were reversed as PCH became more familiar with what luxury customers expect/want. Things settled down for several years with no significant changes. In the past two years the negative changes seem to be occurring once again. This time the economy cannot be blamed as it is strong (in North America). It seems that the focus has gone from appreciating return customers to ignoring what they want and seeking out new customers.

As has been acknowledged, Baby Boomers are not dead and they have the money and the time to cruise Regent for the next couple of decades. To lose them over these passengers over changes would be a shame and could hurt Regent in the long run. Yes - they need to attract new customers but people that have never cruised a luxury cruise line would not be as demanding as long time customers can be (hope to make sense with this). In other words, a cruise line with the included benefits that Regent has would thrill people new to luxury cruising. They would not be asking for free laundry or any of the other things that some Regent customers gripe about .... they would be happy with free washers and dryers.

So, In my opinion, Regent WAS positioned correctly. They were pleasing their long-term customers and tempting new cruisers to try Regent with their included excursions and business class air. With this change as well as changes that "may be" made, some loyal customers are questioning the changes and wondering why they have been so loyal for so long.

P.S. Also IMHO, passengers that have moved to Regent from other luxury or premium cruise lines should not expect the same benefits as loyal Regent customers have taken years to achieve. If Regent's current benefits are not good enough, why are you sailing with them and trying to change what so many customers are happy with?

I am sure that the management of NCLH & Regent understand their business and know exactly what is needed to retain existing customers, attract new customers and keep their investors & shareholders happy.

Fortunately for us lucky cruisers there is plenty of choice in the market if we do not like what is being offered.

For us, Regent still suits our requirements just perfectly; if it ever fails to offer what we want then we will be happy to look elsewhere.

As regards the subject of this thread, we will be interested to see how the revised "on-board" booking conditions are applied for the UK market, but are glad that we are already booked through to Spring 2020, with all bookings having been made on board.

PS: I do not believe that the terms of the Price Guarantee have been changed from what they were previously. Yes it is up to the customer (or their TA) to watch for price reductions and it is dependant on there still being availability in the suite grade in which you are booked.

Edited by flossie009

In my opinion, we are down the path with Regent of constant price increases and benefit reductions. Not a great place to be from a customer perspective.

Yes I am a loyal customer and love the Regent product but beyond bookings out to 2020, it will be interesting to see what we decide to do.

Our TA is on the Regent Council and I have provided my feedback to her, as I suggest others do as well. In my view Regent is catching the wave, so to speak, of the new ships for the next couple of years. Beyond that, perhaps choppier waters? Only time (and competition) will tell.

Pat and Marg

Great question. I understand that the Council is based on sales volume and provides TA’s with some exclusive pricing for clients but more importantly to me, gives TAs more face time and conversation with Regent execs. This is the avenue where I have asked our TA to provide our feedback.

Pat and Marg

Oh and no idea how many TAs are on the Council. I suspect not too many...

Pat and Marg

Agree with you - there are likely not many TA's on the Council. This is one reason that I urge passengers to book with agents with a lot (really a lot) of Regent experience. Too many people end up on CC because their TA was not familiar with Regent or other luxury cruise lines. They end up getting various opinions on CC - some better than others.

Thanks for replying to my questions about the Council. Am I understanding correctly that some TA's actually get better pricing for their clients? I don't mean OBC's and such — but there's a real price difference depending on whom one books with??

Thanks for replying to my questions about the Council. Am I understanding correctly that some TA's actually get better pricing for their clients? I don't mean OBC's and such — but there's a real price difference depending on whom one books with??

Any special pricing that these TAs would receive would be an exceptional circumstance, not an every day occurrence. Perhaps that pricing has gone away now too as I haven’t heard of anything for at least a year. At least that is my experience.

Pat and Marg

Just a thought.

Regent could think about introducing a graded on board booking discount that increases with SSS loyalty level.

i.e. the new flat rate discounts discussed in post #1 would apply for Bronze & Silver members; increased discounts being available to Gold; increasing further for Platinum etc.

This might placate some SSS members if laundry services do eventually become an included amenity for some or all suites on Regent cruises.

PS: Can I claim CC bonus points for a crossover between two contentious threads? ;p :D

Any special pricing that these TAs would receive would be an exceptional circumstance, not an every day occurrence. Perhaps that pricing has gone away now too as I haven’t heard of anything for at least a year. At least that is my experience.

Pat and Marg

Agree with you. However there are discount TA’s that have “covert” pricing but they likely not part of the special group of TA’s.

Regent's new on board booking policy had us change our Myanmar Mariner booking in March to a 3 category upgrade from our fav F category suite--knowing now that once on board the on board booking discount now is not as rewarding.

Our TA is a member of the Regent council and we occasional get the special pricing but not always. Not important to us as our TA is the most generous in the business we get amply rewarded on every Regent cruise we book.

AFAIK. All agents get the same bottom line price. That is to say the listed price less their commissions.

However ,large Agencies can get addition amenities for certain cruises. These amenities include onboard credits (OBC), tours, ShoreEx, parties, etc.

Additionally, if an Agent (Or Agency) books a group of cabins on the same voyage, usually 8 or more cabins, their can be group benefits. These group benefits can include a reduce rate or free group conductors cabin, and/or additional amenities, like OBC's, ShoreEx, Parties, Special dinners, Upgrade cabins, etc.

How do I know this stuff? Beside my sailing on Regent, I have been part of booking a large family group cruise for the last 18 years.

It has been said before: It is so important to have an extremely knowledgeable Agent to work with. It doesn't have to necessarily be an Agent that works at a "large" company. Many smaller or one person Agents are hooked up with large consortiums and do much better pricing/amenities than the so called "Big Boys."

J