Transportation in Denali

cltcruzer

We'll be in Denali for a few days before our cruise in July, and we plan on taking the 6AM shuttle bus to Eielson. We're flying into Anchorage and taking the train to Denali, so we won't have our own car. The Denali Princess Lodge where we're staying offers transportation to/from the wilderness access center (where the Denali bus tours depart from)... but the Princess Lodge transportation doesn't begin until 7AM. Any suggestions for how to get from the lodge to the Wilderness Access Center by about 5:30AM?

There are a few options.

- princess has been known to add an after hrs shuttle. Ask if they'lll add an earlier morning shuttle on your date

- there is a taxi service. Pricey i'm sure

http://www.a1cms.com/_dcc/transport/

- the Denali Salmon Bake has a shuttle. Schedule posted on their web site. Inexpensive

- walk. 35-45 minutes. Theres a well worn trail next to the hwy. After you cross the Nenana bridge, take the Jonesville Trail as a shortcut and it will join up to the park road. Then go right. I think the park newsletter has a entrance area map that shows the jonesville trail.

Just checked the salmon bake schedule. Only $5 but starts too late

Edited by mapleleaves
PS

In the early morning, sometimes the trail can be a moose habitat. Alternative can be to consider just staying along the road, for a slightly longer walk.

I've seen moose from that trail before and for me, I want to avoid them. :)

I appreciate the responses! For our first full day in Alaska we would definitely like to avoid being jumpstarted by a moose at 5AM so I think we'll call the taxi suggested and hope they charge something reasonable