Splendor design speculation

Portolan

OK, I hate the name, but I'm hoping to like the ship even more than the Explorer.

I'm also hoping that the line drawing of the Splendor on the Regent landing page is inspired by real plans since it clearly shows a railed deck at the forward top of the ship. Actually, it looks like 2 decks with railings. My biggest disappointment with the Explorer is that there is no outside forward observation area which makes it a less-than-desirable choice for certain voyages (sailing into fjords, or Venice, or through the Inside Passage, etc.).

I don't know how much stock I'd put in the sketch on the website...BUT...I agree that an outdoor forward viewing area is a must-have.

I'm pretty sure they'll fix the 'stairwell to nowhere' and hopefully the theater sightlines. They'll probably rethink the allocation of G and H suites, too. And from what I've heard, some of the PH suites and above have size issues in the closets and bathrooms. Not an issue for me as I usually sail in F suites, but I've heard complaints - and I know that the closets in the G and H cabins are tiny.

Oh, and as far as I'm concerned, they can do away with 'The Study', too.

Not a speculation but the stairs from deck 5 to deck 4 will be reversed so when you exit the stairs, you will be facing CR and the Explorer Lounge. Also The Coffee Connection (which is being renamed "Coffee Connection" on Explorer will be moved - same deck but closer to Pacific Rim rather than being near the spa.

I don't know how much stock I'd put in the sketch on the website...BUT...I agree that an outdoor forward viewing area is a must-have.

Had the sketch been of the Explorer, I wouldn't have been surprised. But it is clearly a different design so don't deny me my hope.

The other issues you mention are important, but survivable (get to the theater early, etc.). But if you don't build a forward outside observation deck then there is no recourse.

Had the sketch been of the Explorer, I wouldn't have been surprised. But it is clearly a different design so don't deny me my hope.

The other issues you mention are important, but survivable (get to the theater early, etc.). But if you don't build a forward outside observation deck then there is no recourse.

Well, I suppose you could always serve the resident of the Regent Suite an eviction notice and use that forward location...wicked big deck there, my friend.

OK, I hate the name, but I'm hoping to like the ship even more than the Explorer.

I'm also hoping that the line drawing of the Splendor on the Regent landing page is inspired by real plans since it clearly shows a railed deck at the forward top of the ship. Actually, it looks like 2 decks with railings. My biggest disappointment with the Explorer is that there is no outside forward observation area which makes it a less-than-desirable choice for certain voyages (sailing into fjords, or Venice, or through the Inside Passage, etc.).

Scott,

I just came up with one simple design change that would help me like the new ship even more. Real inexpensive and makes the ship more attractive:

db579919b2f4c83973017bfc35fc22d5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is what I would like to see different on Splendor from Explorer.

1. Constellation theater Upper level sight lines. On Explorer you can hardly find a decent seat to see the stage. Terrible.

2. Constellation theater Lower level pillars. Don't put seats behind the pillars like on Explorer. Only see half the stage.

3. Observation Lounge. On Explorer the are two locked doors that go no where. Put a deck out there so passengers can go outside and see the front of the ship.

4. Requested on Explorer but they did not do it. LED night lights in the bathrooms so you don't need to

turn the bright lights on at night.

Scott,

I just came up with one simple design change that would help me like the new ship even more. Real inexpensive and makes the ship more attractive:

db579919b2f4c83973017bfc35fc22d5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, this is the final approved design: name & railed upper decks.

Add a rear lounge that you can watch wake and have a drink. Standing beside the infinity pool does not cut it. The spa has too much precious territory.....move it some.

Standing beside the infinity pool isn't the greatest...but it's tough to beat sitting IN the infinity pool. Although a bit cool in the Baltic last summer, it was a treat so float back there watching the wake drift behind us...

The Cruise Consultant on the Explorer said today that the Splendor’s design is the same as the Explorer’s, with a few “small improvements.” I haven’t gotten a chance to ask, but I’m guessing from the verbiage that there will be no forward deck, and the Regent Suite and spa will still occupy prime real estate. Since everyone seems to readily acknowledge at least some of the flaws in the theater, I suspect that that’s where the improvements will lie.

The Cruise Consultant on the Explorer said today that the Splendor’s design is the same as the Explorer’s, with a few “small improvements.” I haven’t gotten a chance to ask, but I’m guessing from the verbiage that there will be no forward deck, and the Regent Suite and spa will still occupy prime real estate. Since everyone seems to readily acknowledge at least some of the flaws in the theater, I suspect that that’s where the improvements will lie.

We have been told the same thing on Mariner. No big changes for Splendor which is fine for some of us and not so great for others. Fortunately, there are still 3 other Regent ships to sail if the "Explorer class" ships aren't right for you. Still think that Mariner will be the most beautiful ship of the three older ships - after refurbishment.

BTW, IMO, the Regent Suite is not in a prime area in terms of a good location to stay on a cruise where there is a lot of movement of the sea. We were in 1201 - directly below the Regent Suite on deck 14 (there is no deck 13), and really felt the rocky seas quite a bit. IMO, the location of the Observation Deck is the prime real estate...... but, that is just my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Alas, the President of Regent confirmed their are no plans for the Splendor to have an open top deck. As others have intimated, for us, visually stunning itineraries cry for an open top deck to view the Norwegian or Chilean Fjords or Milford Sound. Precisely, why we booked the Voyager to view the Milford Sound in January—stunning, and booked Silversea which had best Norway itinerary this past summer—-the Silver Wind’s—top decks were packed with fellow guests pining to soak in the majestic & stunning Norwegian fjords.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting, Wes. And I'll second your "alas." (Though I suspect our cruising days will be finished before Splendor is up and running). 'tis a mystery.

In fact, your post is making me re-think (it's definitely "re" since I'd been concerned about this already) the Explorer Norway cruise I've booked for 2018. We'd so like to see that splendid part of the world, but I know we'd miss (just don't know how badly we'd miss) the open deck viewing that we've enjoyed on Mariner and Voyager. I'm almost tempted to change to yet another Alaska itinerary, since we've always loved that area of North America.

Btw, when I was trying to decide which excursions to book in those Norway ports (still going round and round, somehow more difficult than for other cruises), I went over to the Silversea board, since I know they do those itineraries, and I'd remembered that you'd done one. Sure enough, I found your postings and greatly appreciated they were. Had to smile at all the shoe stuff, cause with my frequent heel spurs and never-healed plantar fascia, I have to wear flat shoes and orthotics. But what handsome photos of the two of you in all your fancies!

Poss, you're very welcome, thank you for the very kind words and compliments.

Believe any Norwegian itinerary on Regent or Silversea will be a winner. Tho, we would not want to miss being on the top open deck enjoying sail away/in from London Tower Bridge, sailing into/out of the majestic Trollfjorden, gazing at the massive Northcape cliffs, and sailing into Stavanger, Norway. As you most likely saw in the Norway SS thread, the top deck was chock full of fellow guests at each of these visually stunning sights. Hard for me to imagine looking through an observation lounge windows at these beautiful sights but viewing beatiful Norway in this manner would be better than not seeing them.

If you go to Norway, have a terrific Explorer voyage Poss.

Please let me add another item that I hope is different on the Splendor than on the Explorer. The Category H "suites"(?) on the Explorer are just too small for two people on more than a four night cruise, at only a little over 200 square feet interior room. We have not been on the Explorer, and thus we haven't been in its Category H suites personally. But we have been in "suites" of this size (more properly called "cabins") on other ships and find them way too small. And too small to be truthfully called "suites". In fact we believe the 256 square feet interior room "suits" below Penthouse on the Mariner are too small to be represented as "suites". I hope the Splendor reverts to the concept of the Mariner and Voyage where no suite has less than about 300 square feet interior room.

I also hope that the center aisle of the theater will be re-thought. A number of people fell on the early cruises and the situation has not been changed in the 18 months since then - no better lighting, change of carpet or anything else to make the steps more visible. The steps are still as hard to see now as they were then.

Peggy

• 3 weeks later...

One of the more bizarre design features on Explorer is the huge atrium void that just seems to be a waste of space and collects dust on all the ledges.

Maybe on Seven Seas Splendor (so difficult to type this with a UK spellcheck) they could install the previously suggested indoor skydiving wind tunnel:

Perfect for the average Regent guest ;p :D .............. or maybe not :eek:

One of the more bizarre design features on Explorer is the huge atrium void that just seems to be a waste of space and collects dust on all the ledges.

Maybe on Seven Seas Splendor (so difficult to type this with a UK spellcheck) they could install the previously suggested indoor skydiving wind tunnel:

Perfect for the average Regent guest ;p :D .............. or maybe not :eek:

That'd sure take care of the dust, at least. ;p

I mentioned that to Jason on our first Explorer cruise earlier this year...a minor 'miss' but a 'miss' nonetheless. Not sure what the purpose of that is, just a big, white, dusty box...strange indeed.

I also hope that the center aisle of the theater will be re-thought. A number of people fell on the early cruises and the situation has not been changed in the 18 months since then - no better lighting, change of carpet or anything else to make the steps more visible. The steps are still as hard to see now as they were then.

Peggy

Agree - that is a real safety issue - one that is fairly easy to fix.

In terms of the atrium - I love it!