solo- first timer -meals

hlsess

I am thinking about a solo cruise- not a huge cruiser but know how to do it- how do meals work? I realize if you are on a ship that caters to solos you may eat with them but what if not- how do other cruise lines handle solo travelers at meals- do you just go to the buffet mainly?

any other suggestions- guess it is hard to book excursions ahead of time with other solo travelers?

please send me any links etc

On NCL, they set up times when you can dine with other solos; or you can eat on your own if you want. No-one gives you a second glance, and the waiters are very friendly - tend to give you an extra amuse bouche or dessert. I quite enjoy the speciality restaurants for solo dining - the main venues are a bit more daunting.

Sailing solo many times, I usually prefer to request Fixed Seating so that I may have a "family" of sorts made up of my fellow cruisers and my Stewards. In an Open Seating situation, depending upon my desires at the time, I will request a table of whatever size I wish. In the morning, I prefer a table for 4 rather than a large table. (That often turns out to be a table for one (which is OK at that time of day or a table for two.)

One NEVER needs to think that the buffet restaurant on whatever ship one is sailing is the place that solo diners ought to dine. Unless, of course, one chooses to do so. And, some do. (And there is surely nothing wrong with that.)

I did anytime dining on Carnival and asked to share. Each night was an interesting experience. I made friends with a couple of people and when we crossed paths during the day the invited me to dinner that evening.

The first night I had assigned dining and had early seating. Originally my gf was going to go. But then she decided not to. So once on board I tried to switch to anytime dining, and was reassigned to late dining with other singles. This table ended up being a couple, myself and another guy who was drunk and told me about all of his cruises with various women and the drama he experienced. Not so fun.

After dinner I spoke to the assistant dining room manager and again asked for anytime dining. I explained the issue with the current assignment and she immediately changed me to anytime dining and was apologetic.

The moral of the story is to not suffer in silence. Keep asking for what you want.

I would sail solo again in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sailing solo many times, I usually prefer to request Fixed Seating so that I may have a "family" of sorts made up of my fellow cruisers and my Stewards. In an Open Seating situation, depending upon my desires at the time, I will request a table of whatever size I wish. In the morning, I prefer a table for 4 rather than a large table. (That often turns out to be a table for one (which is OK at that time of day or a table for two.)

One NEVER needs to think that the buffet restaurant on whatever ship one is sailing is the place that solo diners ought to dine. Unless, of course, one chooses to do so. And, some do. (And there is surely nothing wrong with that.)

Good advice. I just completed my first solo cruise. It happened to be with Viking Ocean but regardless, every evening in the MDR I was asked if I'd like to sit with others, which I did. However, on two evenings, there was no one seat available at a table for 4 or 6. So, very thoughtfully I thought, they placed me at a table for two but I naturally had tables for two on either side of me that afforded me conversations on both sides.

One situation I did run into was constantly being asked why I was alone whether in the MDR, theater, or shore excursions. Initially I told the truth: my traveling partner of 26 years died in December 2016. However, this made the questioner feel badly so, for the rest of the cruise I simply said I couldn't find anyone else to come along, which was also true.

I am thinking about a solo cruise- not a huge cruiser but know how to do it- how do meals work? I realize if you are on a ship that caters to solos you may eat with them but what if not- how do other cruise lines handle solo travelers at meals- do you just go to the buffet mainly?

any other suggestions- guess it is hard to book excursions ahead of time with other solo travelers?

please send me any links etc

I just took my first cruise ever last September -- Holland America, 14 days to Alaska. I'm single so traveling solo has been the way I go for a long time -- on business before I retired, and for pleasure since 2003.

As far as meals are concerned, using "anytime dining" worked great for me. I assume that most cruise lines have something similar. On the Amsterdam, I just showed up at the entrance to the main dining room the first night, gave them my room number, and was asked if I would like to share a table. Since I wanted to meet folks, I said "yes!" After that for the duration of the cruise, I was seated at a table for 6 or 8 and had a wonderful time. My tablemates included both couples and other singles. I ate in the main dining room every day for either breakfast or supper (lunch varied day to day depending on what else I was doing).

I also ate twice in one of the "specialty" restaurants, making a reservation for 1, and never felt awkward at all. The staff really want you to have a good time and enjoy your meal. I was seated at a table for 2 and had wonderful meals both times.

Since I'm new to cruise travel, I'm sticking with cruise-sponsored excursions for now until I get a feel for how it "works." If there's a roll call for your cruise, check there for private excursions and contact the organizer to see how they're handling solos. I'm on a very active roll call for a 38-day cruise this summer with a lot of private excursions being organized and I know there are some solo travelers involved.

For me, the joys of traveling solo include the freedom to plan my own time and not be tied to anyone else's schedule. You'll do fine! :)

One situation I did run into was constantly being asked why I was alone whether in the MDR, theater, or shore excursions. Initially I told the truth: my traveling partner of 26 years died in December 2016. However, this made the questioner feel badly so, for the rest of the cruise I simply said I couldn't find anyone else to come along, which was also true.

Egad, people ask that? What a horrible question. I'll be solo traveling in March, and I can either choose to tell the truth, which will make people uncomfortable, or come up with a friendly and non-committal answer that forestalls additional questioning. At this point, dunno which path I'll choose.

I cannot imagine asking anyone why they are alone. I'm so sorry that happened to you, PROCRUISE.

I also ate twice in one of the "specialty" restaurants, making a reservation for 1, and never felt awkward at all. The staff really want you to have a good time and enjoy your meal. I was seated at a table for 2 and had wonderful meals both times.

Thank you for this perspective and reassurance, ArtsyCraftsy. I generally love to travel alone, but wasn't sure whether a table for one in the specialty restaurant would be odd. Now I'm really looking forward to it!

Often, I am asked if I am traveling alone and, if so, have no problem is saying so.

Interesting comment by Unibok, I think, that telling the truth makes other cruisers uncomfortable. Surely not my experience. In fact, on one cruise, I met so many people that one couple who knew I was a solo, and whom I frequently saw, asked late in the cruise, "Is there anyone on this ship whom you do not know?"

Interesting comment by Unibok, I think, that telling the truth makes other cruisers uncomfortable. Surely not my experience. In fact, on one cruise, I met so many people that one couple who knew I was a solo, and whom I frequently saw, asked late in the cruise, "Is there anyone on this ship whom you do not know?"

Hi rkacruiser,

It all depends on what your truth is. If you can authentically say that you are alone because you prefer the freedom, you enjoy solitude, you embrace your independence, you like the challenge, or any other reason that can be positively construed, it won't make people uncomfortable.

But if the reason you are alone is because of a loss, or a change in your life circumstance, or because you decided that going along was better than not going at all, it makes people wish they hadn't asked. So, it depends on whether your truth is received in a positive or negative light.

What's really interesting to me is that people even ask why someone is alone. I'm betting nobody ever asks why somebody is traveling with others, right? Perhaps the people asking are afraid of solitude themselves. Perhaps they've never met anyone who embraces the freedom that going solo can provide. Who knows? I only hope I don't get asked. My answers are complicated, both positive and negative. Probably most people have truths that are complicated.

Have you ever been asked why you are alone? Like, is that actually a thing on cruises? I can't think of any other context in which I would be asked why I am alone, and I'm a little nervous about it now. Thanks for sharing your experience -- I'm interested!

Unibok,

You make good points. If I ever was asked about being a solo cruiser, my response would be: I choose to do so. Or, if in fact, I had a traveling companion (which I have had) who did not want to sail on such a cruise, I would so state. (And, that would be a truthful response because that has happened.)

I have not experienced the loss of a spouse that led me to solo cruising. I understand the angst that those who have had that experience. Why? For some years, because my Mother introduced my brother and me to the world of travel, she was my "then" traveling companion and I supported such. Infirmity led to an end of that relationship as God decided. It was very hard to make the decision to book another cruise for myself when she could not go. I did. I shared with her my experiences upon my return. The message that I received from her was positive. One's life continues to be lived regardless of what lies ahead of us.

I never take a cruise when I don't remember this lesson. I never take a cruise without spending some time on deck, overlooking the ocean, and thanking God for a Mother that helped to inspire in me the desire to travel.

If asked by a fellow guest on a cruise as to why I am a solo cruiser. they would hear the "blame" (with great thankfulness) on my Mother.

Unibok,

You make good points. If I ever was asked about being a solo cruiser, my response would be: I choose to do so. Or, if in fact, I had a traveling companion (which I have had) who did not want to sail on such a cruise, I would so state. (And, that would be a truthful response because that has happened.)

I have not experienced the loss of a spouse that led me to solo cruising. I understand the angst that those who have had that experience. Why? For some years, because my Mother introduced my brother and me to the world of travel, she was my "then" traveling companion and I supported such. Infirmity led to an end of that relationship as God decided. It was very hard to make the decision to book another cruise for myself when she could not go. I did. I shared with her my experiences upon my return. The message that I received from her was positive. One's life continues to be lived regardless of what lies ahead of us.

I never take a cruise when I don't remember this lesson. I never take a cruise without spending some time on deck, overlooking the ocean, and thanking God for a Mother that helped to inspire in me the desire to travel.

If asked by a fellow guest on a cruise as to why I am a solo cruiser. they would hear the "blame" (with great thankfulness) on my Mother.

What a beautiful response, and a beautiful legacy from your mother. Thank you, rkacruiser, for sharing your truths. <3

What's really interesting to me is that people even ask why someone is alone. I'm betting nobody ever asks why somebody is traveling with others, right? Perhaps the people asking are afraid of solitude themselves. Perhaps they've never met anyone who embraces the freedom that going solo can provide. Who knows? I only hope I don't get asked. My answers are complicated, both positive and negative. Probably most people have truths that are complicated.

Have you ever been asked why you are alone? Like, is that actually a thing on cruises? I can't think of any other context in which I would be asked why I am alone, and I'm a little nervous about it now. Thanks for sharing your experience -- I'm interested!

I’ve been asked (occasionally) on cruises if I’m traveling alone and why. If asked, it’s generally at dinner when I turn up solo and I take it as others just trying to make conversation, no more than, “where are you from”? “I enjoy solo travel” or “None of my friends or family were available to travel with me” moves the conversation forward. No one really wants (or needs) to hear anymore than that, particularly if you are seated with a group in open dining for just one evening. Don’t overthink it and just have a great time.

Rkacruiser, what a lovely post. It helped me realize how supportive people early in life can shape the future of others. Not everyone gets supported to be independent and that doing things on your own isn't 'settling for second best'.

I had encouraging parents and an encouraging husband to strike ahead independently, so when I found myself on my own, I had the courage to succeed or make independent choices.

People ask me whether I am traveling alone, but rarely a blunt 'why'? If they did, it would be a simple 'because I want to'.

On one of my first solo cruises I had someone come up to me about 4 or 5 days into the cruise. She said "you're traveling alone, aren't you?", and I expected her to ask me why. It was one of my first solo vacations of any sort, and I was feeling really weird about it, but the next thing out of her mouth was "I wish I was too!".

On one of my first solo cruises I had someone come up to me about 4 or 5 days into the cruise. She said "you're traveling alone, aren't you?", and I expected her to ask me why. It was one of my first solo vacations of any sort, and I was feeling really weird about it, but the next thing out of her mouth was "I wish I was too!".

Oh, that's great! LOL! I was seated at a table for dinner one night on day 11 of my 14-day cruise with a couple who were the epitome of the "bickering Bickersons" and the look on the gentleman's face was the personification of the sentiment above.

I took my first ever cruise in September of last year. I'm divorced (over 30 yrs ago) so I'm used to traveling solo. No one asked me if I was traveling alone and I never asked anyone else, either. With "anytime" dining and sharing tables with 5 or so other passengers each meal, it just never came up. Couples always introduced themselves as such, and for the rest, it just didn't much matter whether they were traveling alone or simply dining alone. No one seemed overly curious about it.

If it ever comes up, this is my thinking: To me, it's a two-part question: 1) are you traveling alone? and 2) why? The first is easy to answer since it's a "yes" or "no" question. It's the "why?" that seems to be the tricky bit for some folks. I think my answer would be "Because I enjoy it." That's the truth and there's really nothing more to add.

Quote:

"If it ever comes up, this is my thinking: To me, it's a two-part question: 1) are you traveling alone? and 2) why? The first is easy to answer since it's a "yes" or "no" question. It's the "why?" that seems to be the tricky bit for some folks. I think my answer would be "Because I enjoy it." That's the truth and there's really nothing more to add."

Great post:D.....I have been cruising solo for 15 years and I still get questioned. At this point in my life, I don't care if others find it odd. I LOVE it and my truth is all that matters.........so you are correct, there is nothing more to add but some folks (although we are in 2018) still think it is strange that a 60 year old female travels alone....of course, that is their problem, no mine:D

To the original poster, I love dining with others and most of the time I eat the main dining room. There are times I go

to the Specialty restaurants (yes, on my own)........and there are other times I have met folks from the roll call or

even on board, become friendly and we may dine together. I would say that depends on you and what you enjoy.

I have been asked many times "if I am traveling alone?" on both land based trips and cruises. People have also taken it upon themselves to comment along the line of "is that allowed?", "why would anyon evever want to travel alone?" and "since it is just you why don't you give up your seat so my wife can sit down". Yes, these have all been said to me!! I cruise by myself for a variety of reasons not the least of which is I enjoy it. I eat either in the specialty restaurants or main dining room. Usually but not always at a table by myself. If I meet interesting people love to share a meal as well. Booked on Azamara Quest for a cruise in Europe in Sept and can't wait!!

I always respond with "No I am not alone, I am solo by choice". Shuts them up. If the question is asked in a patronising tone I can be equally patronising and respond with "Oh - you have to travel as a couple? Glued at the hip, how sad and boring for you" !! Depends on how devilish I am feeling.

Thank you, everyone, for sharing your perspectives and stories.

I always respond with "No I am not alone, I am solo by choice". Shuts them up. If the question is asked in a patronising tone I can be equally patronising and respond with "Oh - you have to travel as a couple? Glued at the hip, how sad and boring for you" !! Depends on how devilish I am feeling.

PerfectlyPerth: I love your attitude!

Unibok

As far as meals, I will eat where I choose on a given night. Sometimes that's the MDR (alone or try to share a table), at the buffet, or at a specialty restaurant. I don't mind eating alone, and frankly, it's one of the benefits of traveling solo--I can eat when I want, where I want, and what I want. :D

Regarding other passengers' questions, I just answer honestly. I like to travel, and if my DH can't, then I go alone. He also travels by himself for certain events or itineraries (e.g., fishing trips with the boys). Usually those who are surprised don't intend to be unthinking with their responses; they just haven't met someone (in particular, a woman) who travels solo.

I have had people ask me if my DH has given me permission to travel or make other tending-toward-insulting comments, and I disengage from the conversation. Life's too short to explain myself to strangers.

I just completed my 1st solo cruise on Carnival - short weekend trip from L.A. to Ensenada and back. I met several other solo cruisers - some around my age, some elderly, all really nice people. Thankfully nobody was rude to me at all. Several asked me if I was by myself and I cheerfully said yes, and they just kinda knowingly nodded. I think it's the nature of that particular cruise - mostly people from the area, relatively inexpensive weekend vacation, etc. One lady did tell me she thought I was brave traveling alone at such a "young" age - which made me laugh because I often travel alone, and I am older than she is!

Anyway, to answer the question - I prefer the main dining room because I know I have a seat waiting for me, and they bring the food to me! I took a chance the 1st evening to see who I would be sitting with and got very lucky - 2 pairs of friends, another solo cruiser, and a father-son pair. If I didn't know any better, I'd think Carnival ran some kind of personality test on us beforehand because it just so happened we all got along like long-lost friends. But if you don't feel comfortable, talk to the staff and they will be as accommodating as they can. They want you to have a good time and be happy, so you will keep spending money and return for more cruises! ;-)

... One lady did tell me she thought I was brave traveling alone at such a "young" age - which made me laugh because I often travel alone, and I am older than she is!

When I was solo out of Venice fall before last I had a couple of people tell me I was 'brave' for traveling alone at my age - since I'm about ready to retire, I assume they meant I was brave to travel alone at such an old age :p

IMO, cruising is actually one of the easiest solo adventures, you sleep in the same bed every night, know where to find food, don't need to schlepp your luggage from place to place, etc.. The hard parts are the pre and post cruise arrangements of airport to ship and back & rooms for pre or post cruise stays.