Forgot to pack but Wish you did for Alaska Cruise

floridian1

It wasn’t forgotten but one the 3 previous AK cruises, I didn’t have a jacket that was long enough. I could keep legs warm from knees to toes and was fine from hips to head but my legs above the knees would be cold. So I found a couple of items, 2 different weights, that are longer and I can layer together or with other items of clothing. Both have dual zippers so can stay closed but still be unzipped as needed from bottom up or from top down or both. Previous cruises were in Aug or Sept but upcoming is in May so expecting cooler temps than before.

Also bringing a waterproof sneaker-style shoe that will serve multiple purposes: fine in rain, good for walking, hiking, and even exercise...saves on number of shoes!

Binoculars- I lend mine freely, but, having them, is a must for me- with them going on and staying on, (around my neck) from beginning to end. :) Yep that's me, with them around my neck, at the rare times, I'm joining others in the dining room. :)

A small screwdriver that fits the screws on the family eyeglasses.

Lightweight long underwear for high-speed catamaran whale watching excursions.

Gloves with fingers that allow camera adjustments.

Rain poncho

Multiple-port USB charger for headphones, cellphones, tablets, water pik, etc

Edited by Crew News

A warm enough jacket! I brought a rain coat in case of the rain (which we had none). We were there in July. But I honestly wanted and needed a warmer coat. I bought one on the Carnival ship, it was only like $30, so it wasn't a rip off. But it had a nice fleece inside (with Alaska & mountains stitched into it) and then like a windproof waterproof outside. Being from Chicago, it still gets worn a lot, during some of our in between weather days, like when it's in the 40-50's.

Thought of something else...I’ve caught colds when on vacation and then have to try to find a pharmacy to get cold meds, cough drops, etc. This can be a challenge in non-English sparking countries if you can find a pharmacy at all.

Of course, should be easy to find a pharmacy in Alaska however, what do you do on a sea day? The ship really has nothing for colds (I looked for meds on my last cruise ship, to no avail!).

So this time, I’m going to include either a small plastic box or a zip lock bag with things like emergen-C, Zicam, cough drops, maybe even tiny bottle of cough syrup or NyQuil. And, like having an umbrella so it doesn’t rain, I’ll be prepared and won’t get a cold this trip!!

A warm neck scarf for the day we view glaciers - not only is it cold from the ice, but I like to be on the top, open deck as we sail along the glaciers, so it's windy and cold!!! I usually only wear the scarf that one day, but it's so-o-o worth it!

A warm neck scarf for the day we view glaciers - not only is it cold from the ice, but I like to be on the top, open deck as we sail along the glaciers, so it's windy and cold!!! I usually only wear the scarf that one day, but it's so-o-o worth it!

I agree with a scarf. On our first Alaskan cruise I ended up buying a scarf and a pair of gloves while on the ship - needed them on the glacier viewing day.

I think some of the "what to wear" depends on where you live and your tolerance for temps dropping to the 50s. We live in Minnesota, and aren't too worried about it. I plan on bringing layers, a backpack for hubby and me and another one for the kids so we can add/remove as necessary. Waterproof shoes are always a good idea though!

A small screwdriver that fits the screws on the family eyeglasses.

Lightweight long underwear for high-speed catamaran whale watching excursions.

Gloves with fingers that allow camera adjustments.

Rain poncho

Multiple-port USB charger for headphones, cellphones, tablets, water pik, etc

At Walgreens, Wal-Mart etc you can get a small repair kit for eyeglasses. I've had one in my shaving kit for years

I think some of the "what to wear" depends on where you live and your tolerance for temps dropping to the 50s. We live in Minnesota, and aren't too worried about it. I plan on bringing layers, a backpack for hubby and me and another one for the kids so we can add/remove as necessary. Waterproof shoes are always a good idea though!

I’m a proud Minnesotan, who gets cold kinda easy, so I’m really angsting over what to pack... I think for excursions I’ll do jeans with long johns, an underarmour short sleeve shirt and long sleeve shirt, then a Columbia rainproof lighter coat with removal fleece liner and hood. For sea days, I’m doing leggings, long sleeve shirt, and Columbia jacket as needed...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Gotta Cruise Again - where did you find waterproof sneaker-type shoes?

thanks!

They are from Mephisto, one of their Allrounder styles with their Mephi-Tex fabric. They will serve me as a sneaker in a pinch, like on a cruise, but I wouldn’t use them for that purpose all the time. These are great for walking and due to the sole, should be fine if we do any light hiking. And then there is the waterproof factor!

I’ve got 3 other pairs of Mephisto, and DH has 3 pairs. We both still wear some we’ve had since 1999 as you can send the shoes back to be re-soled and refurbished—they’ll look almost new (of course the renewal will cost money but far less than a new pair).

The brand is quite spendy so be prepared! The company’s website was having a sale so I got mine there; do Google around to make sure there isn’t a better price on same or similar style. I did look and couldn’t find any better deal elsewhere; this sale was recent and may still be going on.

While you’re price checking, you might come across some other brand that will also serve your needs so keep an eye out! Hope this helps :)

It wasn’t forgotten but one the 3 previous AK cruises, I didn’t have a jacket that was long enough. I could keep legs warm from knees to toes and was fine from hips to head but my legs above the knees would be cold. So I found a couple of items, 2 different weights, that are longer and I can layer together or with other items of clothing. Both have dual zippers so can stay closed but still be unzipped as needed from bottom up or from top down or both. Previous cruises were in Aug or Sept but upcoming is in May so expecting cooler temps than before.

Also bringing a waterproof sneaker-style shoe that will serve multiple purposes: fine in rain, good for walking, hiking, and even exercise...saves on number of shoes!

For your legs I recommend an insulated skirt to wear over your pants or leggings. They zip on the sides for easy temp control. Lots of women wear them up here. They have them at Costco sometimes . Just Google down skirts or insulated skirts. Some are expensive, so look around.

• Like 1