Cruise Interruption and Cancellation due to car break down

StrikeEagle

Hello everyone,

We are going to drive from Houston to Port Canaveral for a cruise. If our car break down and can not make it for the cruise, is there any insurance company which cover this scenario under trip interruption and cancellation?

Does anyone have this happened to you in the past and how does your insurance company responds to your claim ?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I can't answer your question, but from the policies I've researched, I've never seen anything that would cover that situation. I've seen coverage for being "involved" in a traffic accident that caused you to miss a cruise ship (if you were delayed a certain number of hours) but that's all.

I would allow plenty of time to get to the airport or cruise port (or whatever), have someone drop you off, or have a plan B if plan If you think there's a good possibility your car might break down, maybe you can have a Plan B in place or at least plan on showing up much earlier than usual to the airport or port.

Just a tip from a long time frequent traveler. Always have a Plan B...and think of insurance as only something that kicks in under the worst circumstances. If we have to drive a distance to a port we always allow for a lot of extra time (preferably a day). In your situation we would likely leave our car where it was (after having it towed to a dealer or garage) and get a one-way rental to the port. The thought of using insurance for such a circumstance would be distant in our mind. But as the other poster suggested, you might be able to get some coverage if the policy starts when you leave your home...as compared to when you board a ship or plane.

Hank

Car break downs are not always time-consuming. If you lose a fan belt or something that can be fixed quickly and you likely won't miss your ship if you plan enough cushion. You can also have the car inspected by a mechanic beforehand and replace any worn parts.

The truly catastrophic breakdowns (crankshaft fails, car gets totaled in an accident) can be tough to predict. If that happens, your best bet would be to leave the car where it is and rent a car to get you the rest of the way there.

Why give up and file an insurance claim? It would be sad to miss the cruise when you don't have to.