Extra All Inclusive...Is it worth it?

Hi.

My wife, 2 of my sister in laws and their husbands have booked the Paradise Islands followed by Seven Shore Caribbean cruise next February for 2 weeks.

Last year we did our first ever cruise on the Norwegian Star and absolutely loved the experience aroung the Adriatic and Greek islands and are now hooked on cruising.

When searching for a Caribbean cruise in my opinion Marella had a fantastic itineary and that was the reason we booked and are so looking forward to boarding the Explorer.

I have a couple of questions. The first being is upgrading to the extra all inclusive really worth it, and if I chose to do so, do you have to upgrade for the 2 weeks or can you upgrade for just 1 week.

Secondly, the Explorer is just a bit smaller than the Norwegian Star. Are the Caribbean seas calm or rough when we will be sailing and will their be much motion when sailing. We are on the 9th deck about three quarters down the ship towards the rear, Port side, and have booked a large balcony cabin.

Your answers will be very much appreciated :D

The Caribbean seas can be rough especially if going across to Central America or near the Gulf of Mexico so although you are quite high up you are near to midships and better to aft than forward

We never book the upgrade - lots to choose from and you can get speciality coffees included from the bar staff anywhere on the ship except the coffee shop which is extra

I was checking out TUI's drinks package today as for the first time, we are going on TUI Marella (have been cruising for +20 years NCL/Celebrity etc).. hey, the drinks package looks pretty good :eek: I was really surprised - watched a youtube (thank you fabulous youtube poster!) which went through all the menus - spot on for we three generations of girls. ( we are doing Mum, Daughter and Grand-daughter - making a memory to cherish).

Even a Pimms for my wee Mum ... perfect! If you google you tube marella bar menu you will come across it. It was on the Discovery2 but menus will all be the same I guess.

Caribbean is not stormy/rough seas in February - I spend a lot of time there between January and March and its the best time to go. Its not hurricane season - seas are calm, it will be blue sky and perfect temperatures all the way.. You might get the very occasional cloudy day on certain islands where there is more tropical vegetation.

August to November is the dodgy time, hurricane/tropical storm season. February = perfect!!

Thanks for the replies. Does any know that if we do decide to upgrade our drinks package...which does look pretty good and the youtube video has given me a great idea of what's on offer...can we try it for one week or does it have to be for both weeks.

Blonde 008 - sorry to contradict but the Caribbean was quite rough some days in January due to the unusual high winds and again in April for the same reason

February 2016 Dream crashed into the pier when leaving Cozumel due to high winds so there can be rough seas sometimes as can the Med

Thomson Spirit Oct 2005 Repo Palma to Sharm el Sheikh

Thomson Celebration Jan 2007 Red Sea Magic

Ocean VillageFeb 2008 Western Caribbean & Central America

Ocean VillageAug 2008 Eastern Med

Ocean Village 2 Feb 2009 Eastern Caribbean

Ocean VillageMar 2010 Eastern Caribbean

Thomson Dream Feb 2011 Eastern Caribbean & Cuba

Thomson Celebration Aug 2011 Eastern Med

Thomson Celebration Apr 2012 Red Sea Magic

Thomson CelebrationApr/May 2012 Repo Sharm el Sheikh to Marmaris

Thomson Dream Feb 2013 EasternCaribbean

Thomson Majesty​​Nov/Dec 2014 Colourful Coasts Canaries

Thomson Dream Jan/Feb 2015 Western Caribbean Panama & Cuba

Thomson Dream Apr 2015 Transatlantic Sunset

Thomson Majesty​​June 2015 Hellenic Classics

Thomson Celebration Sept 2015 Adriatic Affair

Thomson Dream​​Jan 2016 Mayan Treasures/Cuban Revolution

Thomson Dream​​April 2016 Atlantic Adventure

Thomson Dream​​June 2016 Iconic Islands/Adriatic Explorer

Thomson CelebrationJan 2017 Cities of Gold

Thomson Dream​​April2017 Atlantic Daydream

Thomson Spirit​​June 2017 Classical Greece

Thomson Majesty Sept2017 Med Medley/Treasures of Med

MarellaCelebrationJan 2018 Caribbean Gems/Coral Islands

Marella Discovery 2 April 2018 Cuban Fusion

MarellaDiscovery 2 April 2018 Atlantic Discoveries

Marella Dream May 2018 Spanish Delights

Marella Discovery 2June 2018 Aegean Meze

MarellaDream​​Sept 2018 Mediterranean Medley

With your cruise being 2 weeks back to back, you could see how you go with the standard drink package and then add it to the second week if you are after the different drinks on choice or want the coffees in the coffee shop.

For ease of access, here is the drinks menu video from youtube:

_E78NH_nkTU

Thanks for the replies. Does any know that if we do decide to upgrade our drinks package...which does look pretty good and the youtube video has given me a great idea of what's on offer...can we try it for one week or does it have to be for both weeks.[/quote

I think if one upgrades then the others on the booking have to do too. I also think you can upgrade after one week for the last week.

Best bet is tweet tui, fairly quick on replying.

Thanks for the replies. Does any know that if we do decide to upgrade our drinks package...which does look pretty good and the youtube video has given me a great idea of what's on offer...can we try it for one week or does it have to be for both weeks.[/quote

I think if one upgrades then the others on the booking have to do too. I also think you can upgrade after one week for the last week.

Best bet is tweet tui, fairly quick on replying.

Cheers

Graeme

With your cruise being 2 weeks back to back, you could see how you go with the standard drink package and then add it to the second week if you are after the different drinks on choice or want the coffees in the coffee shop.

_E78NH_nkTU

Thanks a lot. This has proven really handy

_E78NH_nkTU

Thanks a lot. This video gives me a great understanding of the drinks package 👍

I was on Disc 2 a couple of weeks ago and the menu has changed a bit since the video. Basically the same, some wines removed (no zinfandel, chardonnay or pinot noir) and most supplements for premium alcoholic drinks are increased by a £1. Still great package so we didn't upgrade

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Forums mobile app

The ordinary rose was nice enough but I would also have preferred the zinfandel. The menu will probably change again before you go. If you are on Facebook there are a couple of groups for the Explorer and I'm sure someone will post photos on the bar menu once she launches next week.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

The you tube video is great. I don`t think there will be a need for me and my friend to upgrade. I have sent them the link and I am sure they will be pleased with the all inclusive selection.