Children’s program

kbarnum

I was also wondering if anyone had any feedback on the children’s program on the Alaskan sailings. I have read reviews that said there were 80 minors on board. I was curious to the venue and the activities and what to expect for a kids program. We are on the Mariner 6/30 sailing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi kbarnum, I'd remembered that a number of threads had spoken to that question in the past, so I quickly did a search. I found your own thread from back in January — not sure whether you'd maybe forgotten that you'd posted before. It could be that you're looking for newer info, but there are so many good responses to your question, and I'd imagine that activities are pretty much the same year to year. In any case, I suspect and hope that your whole family will have a wonderful cruise, both on the ship and on land.

I did not forget, just did not get what I was looking for. My children are very important to me and our travels I believe impact them positively. I like to establish expectations before the trip so as not to be disappointed and to be prepared. As we get closer to the trip I wanted to reach out again or see if anyone had any information to give. I am sure all will be fine, just looking for tips for the trip. Thank you for responding. I agree we will be fine.

Regent does not cater to children even if there is something for them.

Agree. Also, Alaska cruises are port intensive and the main attraction is the ports as they likely be off of the ship all day. Once they return they will likely be too tired to do much other than eat and relax (depending upon the age of the children).

I was also wondering if anyone had any feedback on the children’s program on the Alaskan sailings. I have read reviews that said there were 80 minors on board. I was curious to the venue and the activities and what to expect for a kids program. We are on the Mariner 6/30 sailing.

We had been on Mariner to Alaska with our 2 sons. One a newly mint teen and the other a few years older. My younger son really enjoyed the activities. Each night he would receive a note in the cabin for the next day. He met some kids and seemed to enjoy it quite a bit. The older one went to the older teen group I think only once and did not go back. He had just finished competing at the junior olympics the before our flight to Alaska and then we spent a lot of energy hiking in Denali -- I think he was perfectly happy catching up on sleep and hanging with his family. We had a great time off the ship and spent some fun family time on the ship.

We found the kids on the ship really well behaved. Some of the other passengers not so much - which seems was not an anomaly given some other threads I recently read about passenger behavior.

We had been on Mariner to Alaska with our 2 sons. One a newly mint teen and the other a few years older. My younger son really enjoyed the activities. Each night he would receive a note in the cabin for the next day. He met some kids and seemed to enjoy it quite a bit. The older one went to the older teen group I think only once and did not go back. He had just finished competing at the junior olympics the before our flight to Alaska and then we spent a lot of energy hiking in Denali -- I think he was perfectly happy catching up on sleep and hanging with his family. We had a great time off the ship and spent some fun family time on the ship.

We found the kids on the ship really well behaved. Some of the other passengers not so much - which seems was not an anomaly given some other threads I recently read about passenger behavior.

I do recall you answering to my original query a few months back. I appreciate the feed back. I waited until the Alaskan itineraries we’re back in rotation hoping someone current has a day planner or some additional information since we are 6 weeks out. Thank you for your posted reply, I do appreciate it.

I do get the feeling that bringing the kids on a trip like this is like bringing the plague. Fortunately they often befriend the critics.

Bringing kids on a trip like this is nothing like bringing the plague. Well behaved children enjoying themselves with other children or with their families are a pleasure to see. But for sure there aren't the same kinds of programs or the volume of programs on a Regent ship as one might find on some other cruise lines. I hope that you won't go with the idea that people will be unwelcoming.

Bringing kids on a trip like this is nothing like bringing the plague. Well behaved children enjoying themselves with other children or with their families are a pleasure to see. But for sure there aren't the same kinds of programs or the volume of programs on a Regent ship as one might find on some other cruise lines. I hope that you won't go with the idea that people will be unwelcoming.

I have read posts where some passengers are unwelcoming. There have also been posts from Alaska where children were out of control - crawling under tables in CR - running through the hallways, etc. On the other hand, there have been some very well behaved children. I remember complimenting one couple at the end of the cruise on how well behaved their children were. They sat through dinner quietly and with perfect manners - even though the meal took a long time.

Agree with posters that state that it is the parents that allow the children to be out of control. After all, children do what they are permitted to do and some parents simply do not watch their children or care what they are doing.

I do strongly feel that children onboard changes the dynamic of the cruise and for that reason we avoid summer cruises. In my opinion, it is better to cruise on a cruise line where children can be children and have lots of different things to do. NCL and Disney is a good example of that. Disney works so well for younger children (and yes - we have been on Disney) and NCL has loads of exciting things for slightly older children.

Poss, you are kind. I don’t think that people will be unwelcoming. Even if there were no formal club for the kids, I believe we would be taking them along anyway. We have had these kids all over the globe and they are fine with the travel. Lucky boogers. I am an avid planner. I love to know what to expect. Just digging for information. Celebrity is our usual go to line. First time on Regent. Not sure if its the demo, but the main lines have more input on CC. Guess it may be a numbers game on who posts.

Poss, you are kind. I don’t think that people will be unwelcoming. Even if there were no formal club for the kids, I believe we would be taking them along anyway. We have had these kids all over the globe and they are fine with the travel. Lucky boogers. I am an avid planner. I love to know what to expect. Just digging for information. Celebrity is our usual go to line. First time on Regent. Not sure if its the demo, but the main lines have more input on CC. Guess it may be a numbers game on who posts.

Still think that it depends upon the age of your children (which we still do not know). And, unfortunately, as mentioned above, there will be passengers that are unhappy with any children being onboard (this isn't just with Regent but is also the case with any luxury cruise line). I recall vividly that a couple that was unaware of how many children are on summer Alaska cruises, were celebrating a milestone anniversary. They were appalled that there were children on the dance floor late at night - rolling around the floor, etc. It ruined their special vacation.

BTW, the most welcoming luxury cruise line for for children is Crystal. They advertise this fact al the time!

Still think that it depends upon the age of your children (which we still do not know). And, unfortunately, as mentioned above, there will be passengers that are unhappy with any children being onboard (this isn't just with Regent but is also the case with any luxury cruise line). I recall vividly that a couple that was unaware of how many children are on summer Alaska cruises, were celebrating a milestone anniversary. They were appalled that there were children on the dance floor late at night - rolling around the floor, etc. It ruined their special vacation.

BTW, the most welcoming luxury cruise line for for children is Crystal. They advertise this fact al the time!

Well lucky for everyone, my kids don’t roll around the floor! They are 10 and 8. Old enough to know better. Like the previous post, they tend to win over the doubtful. All that aside, if anyone out there has a current day planner or any current information on the club...let me know! Thank you TC2.

Kbarnum, I can assure you that with well traveled children who are used to luxury travel, all will be fine. Granted we have only been on one cruise and that was Regent, but not once did we see kids crawling under tables or rolling on the dance floor.

Regent does not ban kids and in facts markets to families with their advertised kids clubs and discount kids rates, so they certainly are not against kids. Enjoy your vacation. We thoroughly enjoyed Alaska as I am sure you will too.

Well lucky for everyone, my kids don’t roll around the floor! They are 10 and 8. Old enough to know better. Like the previous post, they tend to win over the doubtful. All that aside, if anyone out there has a current day planner or any current information on the club...let me know! Thank you TC2.

So, I apparently I saved the Passages and the Kids Club Mariner schedules (I keep files of our trips, but did not expect that I saved these but lo and behold, I did).

I would scan them, but they actually have our sons name on them (I am sure I could black it out but that is too much work for me at the moment, so I just took photos of part of the schedules) I will post the 5-12 year old activities.

Those ages are much better than younger children. As long as children are watched by their parents, it should be fine. Must admit that I'm curious why you would select Regent over other cruise lines. Does included excursions play into your decision? The reason that I ask is because we will be on NCL's newest ship, the Bliss next week. The ship will be doing, Alaska once it gets through with the christening of the ship.. Although we love Regent, we are intrigued with the racing track, amazing slide and even paintball. So, if they interest us, I can only imagine how children would appreciate this. I'll be posting either after the mini cruise or during the cruise on the luxury board (because we will be staying in the Haven -- a place where you can get a 2 bedroom suite for la lot ess than a Regent suite).

LynnRuns, thanks so much for posting the kids activities! That will be very helpful for next year's Alaskan cruise with the grandchildren.

Thank heavens there is no listing for paintball!! 😳

Those ages are much better than younger children. As long as children are watched by their parents, it should be fine. Must admit that I'm curious why you would select Regent over other cruise lines. Does included excursions play into your decision? The reason that I ask is because we will be on NCL's newest ship, the Bliss next week. The ship will be doing, Alaska once it gets through with the christening of the ship.. Although we love Regent, we are intrigued with the racing track, amazing slide and even paintball. So, if they interest us, I can only imagine how children would appreciate this. I'll be posting either after the mini cruise or during the cruise on the luxury board (because we will be staying in the Haven -- a place where you can get a 2 bedroom suite for la lot ess than a Regent suite).

Alaska is a long way from Florida. We wanted to have a longer trip with more ports and the smaller ships population is what I was really going for. I wanted Alaska to be an intimate experience. Never been a fan of the super huge amusement park ships, focused more on the destination then the ride. Have been considering something like that for a Caribbean spring break cruise though, just for a fun week for the kids. When is your cruise on the Bliss? I’d like to subscribe. Regent is my first NCLH experience, we like Celebrity but am open for new ideas.

So, I apparently I saved the Passages and the Kids Club Mariner schedules (I keep files of our trips, but did not expect that I saved these but lo and behold, I did).

I would scan them, but they actually have our sons name on them (I am sure I could black it out but that is too much work for me at the moment, so I just took photos of part of the schedules) I will post the 5-12 year old activities.

Thanks for posting the schedules! We'll be on the late July Alaskan cruise with my 12 yr old. So, do they blend all of the 5-12 yr olds in the same activities? I'm hoping my son will be comfortable "hanging out" at some of these activities, but I can see him spending more time with us (which we are totally ok with too).

Kind of an off, but not off question. Is there a way to communicate with people on the ship. Maybe an app through wifi (say if I leave him somewhere and want to check in). Is there any use in bringing walkie-talkies? We're used to bigger ships, so not sure how much a need this will be.

Looking forward to following the summer Alaskan itineraries!

Thanks for posting the schedules! We'll be on the late July Alaskan cruise with my 12 yr old. So, do they blend all of the 5-12 yr olds in the same activities? I'm hoping my son will be comfortable "hanging out" at some of these activities, but I can see him spending more time with us (which we are totally ok with too).

Kind of an off, but not off question. Is there a way to communicate with people on the ship. Maybe an app through wifi (say if I leave him somewhere and want to check in). Is there any use in bringing walkie-talkies? We're used to bigger ships, so not sure how much a need this will be.

My younger son was a new teen and had no concerns with the grouping. I think most of the kids he was with were in the 11-12 range.

When we first boarded, we did have communication issues! We had never sailed before and did not realize that it would be hard to communicate. We had 2 wifi log ins but the connectivity was quite poor so we could not rely on our devices to keep in touch as we had planned. We learned to leave notes and be clear about plans while on the ship.

Since Alaska is in the U.S., you can use cell phones when you are off of the ship - but not to the ship on while everyone is on the ship (unless you have a plan that allows it - it could be horrendously expensive). When you are in port the ship is pretty dead - not much going on since almost everyone is in port so it is likely that he'll be off of the ship with you.

You should plan on having your kid spend all his time time with you. Since you are choosing to bring him on a luxury cruise line to satisfy your own desires it is YOUR responsibility to see that he is taken care of. If you want a full childrens' program I urge you to reconsider cruise lines and find one that caters to your son's needs instead of your own.

Although we are Regent cruisers, when we take our grandchildren on a cruise, we choose the best ship for their interests.

You are taking one child on an Alaskan cruise, so the cruise line won’t matter very much. It’s the scenery and tours that are important.

No matter the size of the ship, I suggest that you use walk-in talkies to communicate onboard. We do that all the time.

Enjoy.

Sheila

You should plan on having your kid spend all his time time with you. Since you are choosing to bring him on a luxury cruise line to satisfy your own desires it is YOUR responsibility to see that he is taken care of. If you want a full childrens' program I urge you to reconsider cruise lines and find one that caters to your son's needs instead of your own.

That was an harsh reply, You don’t know the poster, do you? Satisfy your own desires? Maybe the desire is to spend time and show the kid Alaska. Don’t be bitter, it give luxury cruisers a bad wrap. Be encouraging and kind, most people that bring kids on such a level of cruise are educated and aware thus try to proceed with caution to the other passengers. Jeez. Relax. This particular itinerary encourages family and offers a kids club.

That was an harsh reply, You don’t know the poster, do you? Satisfy your own desires? Maybe the desire is to spend time and show the kid Alaska. Don’t be bitter, it give luxury cruisers a bad wrap. Be encouraging and kind, most people that bring kids on such a level of cruise are educated and aware thus try to proceed with caution to the other passengers. Jeez. Relax. This particular itinerary encourages family and offers a kids club.

To be honest (and not trying to be mean), even if Regent did have a program on port days, it is concerning that parents would want to leave a 12 year old on the ship while they go off and see amazing things (things that children would appreciate so much). If parents do not want to spend time with their children, perhaps they should have left them with a grandparent or someone that cares about them. I was upset when the poster mentioned leaving their 12 year old "somewhere" and being able to contact them with walkie-talkies.