Whale watching in Juneau

crewmom24

Wanting to do a whale watching excursion. I have been in contact with Captain Steve and we can go on his 6 passenger boat or we can go on one of the larger 26-49 passenger boats with one of the other operators or an 18 passenger one. My husband is afraid that there is more chance of seasickness on the smaller boat. What are your thoughts on pros and cons of the different size vessels? On the larger one we also could do the combo to Mendenhall glacier which we are interested in.

I have booked for September with Weather Permitting for a whale watching and Mendenhall excursion. You may want to check out his website. He has been very responsive. He suggested an afternoon in September vs. morning as he (Captain Harry) says it can possibly be foggy in the morning.

Wanting to do a whale watching excursion. I have been in contact with Captain Steve and we can go on his 6 passenger boat or we can go on one of the larger 26-49 passenger boats with one of the other operators or an 18 passenger one. My husband is afraid that there is more chance of seasickness on the smaller boat. What are your thoughts on pros and cons of the different size vessels? On the larger one we also could do the combo to Mendenhall glacier which we are interested in.

I’m prone to seasickness but I had no problem on our small boat. We had a great experience and we were not out in open water where rough seas are more likely. I would recommend a smaller boat as it gave us a more intimate experience. I’ve dolphin watched on small and larger vessels and whale watched on a small boat and I prefer the smaller boat experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one booked with Captain Steve in Sept and then he is dropping us off at the glacier. He was our Captain on our first trip to Juneau with Harv and Marv and he was awesome. whatever you decide I am sure it will be great!!

My husband is very prone to sea sickness but did just fine on a 6 passenger boat in 2016. We are booked on a 6 passenger again for our cruise in June. Looking forward to another great adventure! For us, it certainly beats the crowded bigger boats. Good luck and have fun on whichever you choose!!