Pepto and other meds

funny1

There are no restrictions about bringing meds onto a ship.

Not sure why you'd be concerned about this??

The only prob would be if you are flying to the cruise then since it is non prescription you'd have to have it with your liquids/gels for going through security. There is no similar security issue when boarding the ship.

Bringing meds on board is no issue.

I have a ziplock bag I call the “Big Bag of I Don’t Feel Good”. It contains, cold medicine, Benadryl, Imodium, Pepto, cough drops and band-aids. I usually don’t need any of it, but you sure don’t want to pay ship prices if you do.

OTC medications don't go in the liquids/gels/aerosols bag. They should go in a separate medicine bag. The medicine bag isn't restricted to prescription medication or a certain size bag. All medications are subject to inspection.

You can put a full size tube of specialized toothpaste in the medicine bag if you got it from your dentist. You can put a full size OTC acne cream/sunburn aloe gel/etc. in the bag if it is being used to treat a current condition. The only other restriction on medical liquids over 3.4oz is it has to be a reasonable amount. That unfortunately means it is left to the TSA officer to determine what constitutes a reasonable amount. Don't bring a jumbo bottle and you should be safe.

If you are bringing a liquid just in case something happens, it has to go in the liquids/gels/aerosols bag.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/special-procedures

One other situation where you could have a theoretical problem is with CBP on debarkation day. In a thread last year, someone mentioned being randomly pulled out of line and grilled about smuggling drugs into the country. This person never got off the ship.

You certainly don't want to have to buy any in the ship's store.:eek:

This. This goes with anything from the shop. Forgot a few things last time, and paid a huge price. For my next cruise, we are typing up a universal packing checklist well in a advance.

"As Riff said your only concern is if you're flying to the port."

What do over the counter meds have to do with TSA or flying?

This. We have an entire medicine/luggage bag filled with over the counter medicines, bandages, neosporin, etc and we have never been questioned about it at TSA or the ship. We do usually keep most of it in its original packaging except for the first aid stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Medications aren't restricted by TSA...and there are NO restrictions on the ship, as far as liquids go...except for booze and sodas! You can bring your pepto, and your contact lens solutions and shampoos, body washes, mouth wash, conditioners,lotions, etc...

This. We have an entire medicine/luggage bag filled with over the counter medicines, bandages, neosporin, etc and we have never been questioned about it at TSA or the ship. We do usually keep most of it in its original packaging except for the first aid stuff.

and...... what do over the counter meds have to do with TSA, you said "this" and you reiterated what I just said, I'm confused. They don't even care about prescription drugs. I never bring the original bottles, lists, Dr's notes or anything but a Monday- Sunday pill dispenser.

and...... what do over the counter meds have to do with TSA, you said "this" and you reiterated what I just said, I'm confused. They don't even care about prescription drugs. I never bring the original bottles, lists, Dr's notes or anything but a Monday- Sunday pill dispenser.

I know, I was agreeing with you

Depends on the liquid. We’ve had TSA take a 4oz bottle of contact lens solution that was in the liquid med bag (mainly eyedrops)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Was it Clear Care? That brand is 3% hydrogen peroxide. It can supposedly alarm explosive testing equipment. It is allowed at 3.4oz or a "reasonable" amount over that, but it is inconsistently enforced. Some allow it through at any reasonable size, some only at 3.4oz or less, and some not at all. You might have better luck asking for a supervisor.

This. This goes with anything from the shop. Forgot a few things last time, and paid a huge price. For my next cruise, we are typing up a universal packing checklist well in a advance.

I had to laugh when I read this. On our last cruise, I ran out of shaving cream and had to pay $7 for a small can of it. Stayed overnight in the port when we got off the cruise. Packed my shaving kit in the carry-on instead of the luggage before heading to the airport. Got to the airport and they discovered the shaving cream in the x-ray. Had to throw the $7 can away. I got two shaves out of that can.

To the OP, definitely pack the OTC items you normally use. The Ship's stores don't always have what you may need. They are limited on what they carry.

I have one that we have used for years and when ever we travel I pull it up and print it - cross out what i won't need for the trip - Some items are only on the list if we travel by car such as having a cooler or trail mix - some items are only on their for cruising such as having my singles for tipping, etc. Over the years I have maybe had to add a few items here or there that comes up that I need but it works out lovely for us

If the liquids are in the carryon they still need to be taken out to be inspected.

Perhaps you're luckier than me, or have a more trustworthy face! I've had to throw out numerous liquid OTC meds at the security area because I inadvertently left them in my carry-on and couldn't get back to my checked bag to put them in there... things like liquid antacids, facial cleanser, anything in liquid form over the 3 oz size. Just because you've never been challenged by TSA for these items doesn't mean it doesn't happen!

So I disagree, respectfully with your question about what OTC meds matter to TSA... but as I said, if the OP isn't flying to the port, it's not an issue...

WOW, reading the replies here :eek:

I might pack a couple of bandaids and a few Tylenol (along with sunblock & Aloe)

I bring generic Aleve, aloe, Gold Bond body powder, Vaseline, and Blistex medicated lip balm. The body powder and Vaseline are for friction caused by sweating. The Blistex is for if I get a cold. It helps to reduce the amount of skin peeling.

I know it is foolish, but I don't bring sunblock due to space constraints in my 3-1-1 bag. I need to leave room for the liquid toiletries I will be taking from the hotel. I donate hotel toiletries when a good cause comes along.

I don't bring seasickness meds because I have a strong stomach. I don't get any kind of motion sickness.

Perhaps you're luckier than me, or have a more trustworthy face! I've had to throw out numerous liquid OTC meds at the security area because I inadvertently left them in my carry-on and couldn't get back to my checked bag to put them in there... things like liquid antacids, facial cleanser, anything in liquid form over the 3 oz size. Just because you've never been challenged by TSA for these items doesn't mean it doesn't happen!

So I disagree, respectfully with your question about what OTC meds matter to TSA... but as I said, if the OP isn't flying to the port, it's not an issue...

There is nothing lucky about it, it's called organized. I know what TSA rules are and pack accordingly.

I had to laugh when I read this. On our last cruise, I ran out of shaving cream and had to pay $7 for a small can of it. Stayed overnight in the port when we got off the cruise. Packed my shaving kit in the carry-on instead of the luggage before heading to the airport. Got to the airport and they discovered the shaving cream in the x-ray. Had to throw the $7 can away. I got two shaves out of that can.

To the OP, definitely pack the OTC items you normally use. The Ship's stores don't always have what you may need. They are limited on what they carry.

Similar thing happened to us. We bought a small tube of Ocean Potion after sun lotion, for about $9 at a port. Used a little of it. Had it on a carry-on and was thrown away. A giant bottle of it at Wal-Mart is about $5.50.