Mariner after refurbishment tour

kbarnum

In the Loop Travel has a nice ship tour of the Mariner since the refurb on you tube. I for one have been waiting for some reviews or feed back on the ship AFTER the refurbishment. I wanted to let the forum know just in case anyone was in...my boat and looking for some info on mariner after the refurb.

Looks like they did a nice job.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were just on the Mariner...from San Francisco to Vancouver. Our third time on this ship. The common areas are

really nice. We were in a Penthouse C where everything had been redone except that the closet and the bathroom are

the same. Not much you can do about that.

kbarnum, thanks very much for sharing this delightful Mariner post refub vid.

We were smitten in January on our first Mariner cruise prior to refurb, now the Mariner even looks more inviting.

Thanks for sharing this video!

Looks like they have made an effort to correct the bottleneck at the back of La Veranda. That was a nice update for sure.

The same effort was made on the Voyager (not sure about Navigator). Wish that there were about 1 ft. more space in between the counters. When there are people helping themselves to food on both sides, it can be difficult to walk down the middle. Still, I like it much more than it was previously.

I did read on one recent thread that they took drawers out of the suites on the Mariner (the same as was done on Voyager and Navigator. This puzzles me because they built Explorer with tons of storage space - large closets in F1/F2 and Concierge suites and a lot of drawers in the living room places to store items in the bathroom.

I did read on one recent thread that they took drawers out of the suites on the Mariner (the same as was done on Voyager and Navigator. This puzzles me because they built Explorer with tons of storage space - large closets in F1/F2 and Concierge suites and a lot of drawers in the living room places to store items in the bathroom.

Fortunately on the post dry dock Mariner, there is still a set of drawers at the desk in the Penthouses, at least. There are four sections to the desk of similar width: 3 drawers, glassware cabinet, kneehole with drawer above, and refrigerator. So like the F2 suites on Voyager/Splendor, very liveable. Wish they'd added the bedside USB ports though.

Based on the follow-on video at the link at the start of the thread (Suite #931), they kept the drawers in the standard/concierge suites by putting the glassware in an upper corner cabinet...way better solution than the refit on Voyager where the drawers are gone up through Penthouse A. Really going to hate that when we are on Voyager in December.

Edited by Portolan

Portolan,

Before you board, ask for an extra small dresser -5 or 6 drawers, to be put in the closet.

Does it resolve the problem? No but it helps.

Peggy

Thanks for the tip, Peggy. Didn't know that was something which could be requested. That would solve the storage issue, but not the convenience issue of having the type of stuff (electronics, reference materials, etc.) at the desk.

We can only hope that at the next dry dock, they replace the glassware cabinet under the desk with drawers and adopt the Mariner solution of a glass ware upper corner cabinet.

Fortunately on the post dry dock Mariner, there is still a set of drawers at the desk in the Penthouses, at least. There are four sections to the desk of similar width: 3 drawers, glassware cabinet, kneehole with drawer above, and refrigerator. So like the F2 suites on Voyager/Splendor, very liveable. Wish they'd added the bedside USB ports though.

Based on the follow-on video at the link at the start of the thread (Suite #931), they kept the drawers in the standard/concierge suites by putting the glassware in an upper corner cabinet...way better solution than the refit on Voyager where the drawers are gone up through Penthouse A. Really going to hate that when we are on Voyager in December.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention - I didn't notice the drawers on the video. When we last were on the Mariner (November, 2017), we were in a Grand Suite which is one of the suites that were not being totally refurbished during dry dock and it was sorely lacking drawers. Good to know that the standard/concierge suites have more drawers.

Since it was our first time on Mariner we can’t compare it to before the refit, but this “overpacker” found there to be plenty of drawer space in our Concierge suite. Six in the closet, three in the living room area and one in the vanity. We also thought there were plenty of outlets for our needs and loved the USB ports by the bed. We always travel with a universal adapter and that was handy, but didn’t even need to use our (non surge) power strip.

As for LaVeranda, it never seemed crowded and we never felt any real bottleneck at the back. Certainly was a dream compared to the buffet on the large ships!

... We also thought there were plenty of outlets for our needs and loved the USB ports by the bed.

Interesting. There were no USB ports by the bed in our Penthouse A. On the wall on each side of the bed were a panel of switches and below that was a second panel with a European and a US electrical outlet. You can see this in the virtual tour of the suite. No USB. Fortunately, we travel with a neat little gadget which provides both 3-outlets and 2 USB ports in a tiny package.

We also thought there were plenty of outlets for our needs and loved the USB ports by the bed.

There were no USB ports in our PHC on Mariner after refurb.

I assumed it was only Explorer that had USB ports in the suites, so it is good to hear that at least some suites on Mariner have had them retrofitted.

We were in a Penthouse C. There were 3 big drawers under the counter top. Plenty of storage for my things. My husband used the

drawers in the closet and we both shared the hanging space and space for our shoes. Everything we brought was unpacked. We did bring

a power strip with us.

Since it was our first time on Mariner we can’t compare it to before the refit, but this “overpacker” found there to be plenty of drawer space in our Concierge suite. Six in the closet, three in the living room area and one in the vanity. We also thought there were plenty of outlets for our needs and loved the USB ports by the bed. We always travel with a universal adapter and that was handy, but didn’t even need to use our (non surge) power strip.

As for LaVeranda, it never seemed crowded and we never felt any real bottleneck at the back. Certainly was a dream compared to the buffet on the large ships!

USB port installation appears to be incomplete at best. We boarded yesterday in 841, a Cocierge Suite. No USB ports.

Plenty of closet space and drawers for us though. And plenty of US outlets to plug in our chargers.

This is our first ocean cruise and I think not our last.

Sent from my iPad using Forums