Talkeetna filghtseeing vs Misty Fjords

lakes123

We are already booked with Island Wings for the Mistry Fjords flightseeing. One of our options for an excursion from Mt. McKinley Lodge is a flight around Denali from Talkeetna. We are trying not to do to many of the same things. How different are these flights? Are the Denali flight tours that awesome?

On our first Alaska Princess cruise (actually a cruise tour) in 2007 we pre-reserved the Misty Fjords flightseeing excursion that included taking off and landing on the water and a transfer to a boat for the trip back to Ketchikan. I had some trepidation because I'm not fond of heights or small planes and had never been on a seaplane. The day we arrived in Ketchikan it was drizzling but visibility was still good. The minute we took off from the seaplane docks I was mesmerized by the scenery. It was beautiful and I was quite proud of myself for actually enjoying something that had given me a partially sleepless night.

A few days later we were on the train to Denali when the conductor/tour guide was discussing available excursions at the Denali Lodge and the Mt. McKinley Lodge. He mentioned the Denali summit flight from Talkeetna and it took all of 3 minutes for us to decide to do that too weather permitting. We scheduled our flight (with K2) for the morning after our one night at the McKinley Lodge so we could just wait in town to catch the train back to Anchorage. The weather was beautiful that morning and the mountain was visible from the lodge. The flight was absolutely stunning. It was a small plane and unpressurized which meant we had to wear oxygen masks. As we reached the summit of the mountain the pilot waved the wings of the plane to the last group of climbers of the season at their camp just below the summit and they all waved back! The scenery is gorgeous and that remains one of the best excursions we've done anywhere in the world.

Good luck with the decision making. I'm sure you'll love whichever one you chose.

No two flights are ever the same. :) I always fly multiple times every trip. I never tire of the beauty or vastness of Alaska. Flying certainly expresses it beautifully.

However- be aware there are essential details of Denali flights. I am very picky who I go with and especially what route I'm doing. So, perhaps, give attention to descriptions to be sure what you are booking.

No two flights are ever the same. :) I always fly multiple times every trip. I never tire of the beauty or vastness of Alaska. Flying certainly expresses it beautifully.

However- be aware there are essential details of Denali flights. I am very picky who I go with and especially what route I'm doing. So, perhaps, give attention to descriptions to be sure what you are booking.

Budget Queen - what are the essential details we should look for? Who are your preferred vendors? Do you know who Princess uses?

Thanks

Budget Queen - what are the essential details we should look for? Who are your preferred vendors? Do you know who Princess uses?

Thanks

route, summit flights, vs summit view, ski planes etc.

In the past Princess contracted with K2. I personally will always book direct.