Social WiFi Package

mclizzy

DH and I leave on Wednesday for a cruise out of Miami on Thursday. Welove to unplug while cruising and typically could care less about the internet packages. But this is our first time leaving behind DS (he’s 13 months) he’ll be with our parents while we are gone. We are looking into the social package for the Facebook messenger app only. Does anyone have experience with this app on the ship? How well does it work? Can we use it for calling him on the ship or just messages/another form of texting? We are sailing out of Miami going to Cozumel and Key West with 1 sea day. We are thinking we could talk to him in Key West and are hopeful to find WiFi in Cozumel. That only leaves the sea day for the potential that we couldn’t hear from him. Any helpful thoughts on this would be appreciated! Thanks!

The package is very slow. It can be useful for texting through messenger to stay in touch with others. I wouldn't count on being able to make calls.

I did that same itinerary, and didn't buy internet. Like you said, Key West you still have coverage, and Cozumel wasn't hard to find Wifi. To each their own.

It's mediocre at best. Great for messaging through fb. Posting one pic at a time sometimes works but posting more than one pic on fb to those who are following or in a group can take forever or never work. I like setting up a hidden closed group on fb and it kind of serves as an album for the trip.

I've used it for that exact reason, when we left our son with the in-laws. Worked great for FB messenger. And yes, in messenger you can hit the "video chat" option and it worked out really well for us. I f you're thinking about it, Jwould definitely get it for peace of mind.

The social plan is great for messaging but video calling didn’t work for me. There is a restaurant in Cozumel called Panchos next to all of the port shops that has GREAT wifi. I was able to video chat there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just got off the Sunshine yesterday. I purchased the social media package only. It was slower then old dial up AOL! iMessage worked for texting only, but couldn’t send pictures through it. FB messenger worked with pictures, did not try video calling through messenger, but FaceTime did not work. I uploaded 1 picture to Facebook on Tuesday and it finally came through on Wednesday. We left our 3 children home, so we bought it strictly to keep in contact with them. If I didn’t need to connect I would have saved the $40.00.

I had the social package on the Ecstasy in February. Messenger worked great for texting. We couldn’t get the calls to go through tho. If u have an iPhone and the person you’re in touch with has an iPhone, u can iMessage. My daughter and I used iMessage more than FB messenger. I’ve heard mixed things abt iMessage working on all ships tho. Worked for us!

Got social package for that reason. Works perfectly as advertised. Able to keep in contact via messenger with my kids and parents. You shouldn’t get the social package expecting to be able to video call.

We are thinking of getting the social package for our granddaughter who will have her 15th birthday on the ship. We will be in Cozumel on her birthday. Would she be able to send pictures from one of their wi-if sites??

Thanks and have a good day.