Ketchikan Bus to Totem Bight and Saxman Totem Parks & Misc Ketchikan info

roothy123

We were in Ketchikan yesterday. I just thought I'd relay my experiences using the silver bus line to get to both of the totem parks (but not the Totem Buseum in town) - at least from where we docked, which was the berth right next to Tongass Trading Post and across from a tourist information building. I went out around 8 and walked up to Creek Street to take a picture. Navigating was easy; there were few people out; Disney ship was due in at 11. It was raining lightly. There's a sign indicating the funicular to Fox Lodge isn't operating, but a shuttle bus will take you there every 20 minutes from the nearby museum. From Creek Street I walked the short distance to the Federal Building, which is a tallish salmon-colored building nearby (but a little closer to the ships). I waited there for the silver line south bus, which picks up a tiny bit "below" the Federal building (toward ships). It only comes every hour but it is was clearly marked, was on time, and not crowded. It takes 7 minutes to get to Saxman. You then pay $5 admission at a little hut (after 9 I think; I was there before anyone came) and then walk about the equivalent of one smallish city block at a slight incline to the main part of the park, although there are interesting poles to look at on the way. The driver told me to stand at the top of the block, in the park (Killer Whale Ave., I think) to catch the silver line bus going back (this would be north). In other words, they drop one place and pick up at another. There was a bus shelter on Killer Whale. Check the schedule for return buses; I think they run every hour, and one hour is plenty of time to see the totems and clan house at Saxman. They're pretty much centered in one place. There were guides there and a very nice gift store, but I just walked around for the most part (didn't ask for a guide).

I took the bus back (forget where I was dropped; but the bus drivers are very helpful, and the city is small, so it's pretty easy. I went back to ship, taking my time looking at some things (big eagle in small park, tunnel you can walk or drive through, or walk over), and got back on the ship around 11. By then it had started getting windy (this is in late May & just for your info; not sure what weather you'll get) and rain had picked up. It was pretty miserable out there, but got even worse later. The joke in Ketchikan is:

Tourist: When does it stop raining?

Child: I don't know; I'm only 5.

Be prepared. You're in a rain forest.

After finding my husband (who had gotten some nice things at nearby Tongass Trading Post), warming up, putting on more layers, and eating a quick lunch, I went back out. I went to Tongass Trading Post, then crossed the street and took the silver line bus from Front Street near the tunnel to Totem Bight. The bus stop is marked with small bus system sign on a pole. It's same stop where the free shuttle picks up. I don't remember what was right there, except for a jewelry store and camera store, but it was easy to find and not far. (We were at berth 2 - I turned L when left the ship.) The bus to Totem takes 24 minutes and you get quite a tour of northern Ketchikan area - airport, ferry, WalMart,VFW and American Legion! The bus pulls in and drops you maybe the equivalent of one short city block from the park entrance ($5) and it's a pretty place - rain forest, lots of old trees, paths around to see the totems. They gave me a print out which explained all the totems. You could go down to the beach (pretty area), go in the clan house, etc. - so I liked it better than Saxman. I would have liked to have found Potlach Park, but didn't know how to get there, and it wasn't very obvious from the park, so I passed. By then it was raining.

To be continued -

Potlatch is simply past Totem Bight, well worn paths there, and easy to see the pick up and drop offs of various tours. Walk out the back for a look at the carving shed, especially if they are working, but well worth the time, even if not..

OK, coming back to finish my comments. The computer company was switching over to a different satellite, and I had to get off the wifi before I lost everything.

From Totem, it was easy to come back on the bus, and it dropped me at the Federal building, with the ship in sight down on Front.

I did manage to find the carving shed, but the guy inside seemed to be tinkering around and not actually carving, so I just looked, took a picture, and left. There were some unfinished totems in that area that interested me as well.

Today we were in Juneau, with 3 other ships and a tiny Nat Geo ship. The weather was much milder. We rented a car from Juneau Car Rental and had fun visiting Shrine at St. Therese, Mendenhall, and a short visit over to Douglas for the Treadwell Mine.

We were in Ketchikan yesterday. I just thought I'd relay my experiences using the silver bus line to get to both of the totem parks

Thank you for posting. We've got nothing planned in Ketchikan, planning to "wing it" and your write-up will be most helpful.

I did manage to find the carving shed, but the guy inside seemed to be tinkering around and not actually carving, so I just looked, took a picture, and left. There were some unfinished totems in that area that interested me as well.

Where was this? I'm thinking you are referring to the shed near the Clan House in Totem Bight? The Potlatch carving shed doesn't have room for "unfinished totems" of any number. Did, you see a big gift shop, small museum etc??? You've already mentioned you didn't find Potlatch?