Need help deciding between two different cruises.

bbeTA78

I am a first time cruiser with my wife wondering which cruise we should choose. We have done the research and now are wondering what you guys think with your experience. Or what you think would be best. Looking to not be in our room to much and explore each port to its fullest. We do not mind the differences between the boats (Extravagant Allure with it's huge waterslides vs the Princess with more basic amenities.) We are more focused on the ports. Both are out of Ft. Lauderdale and both are 7 nights. Also same price.

Option 1:

Cruise line: Royal Caribbean Cruise Line

Ship: Allure of the Seas

Ports:

Philipsburg

San Juan

Labadi/Labadee

Option 2:

Cruise line: Princess Cruise Line

Ship: Caribbean Princess

Ports:

Princess Cays, Bahamas

St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

St. Maarten

Thanks!

Also, is going through a travel agent better? I just don't see many of the options with an agent vs the actual cruise line websites, so I am not sure everything that is included (Prepaid gratuity, Vacation protection, etc..)

Edited by Host Walt
Removed name of specific travel agent - not permitted on Cruise Critic

I've been on both ships and to all those ports. Definitely Allure. The ship is absolutely amazing and I think her itinerary is better. When it comes to private islands, Labadee blows Princess Cays away.

One thing though....Allure does not have waterslides. You might be thinking of her 2 newer sisters, Harmony and Symphony.

Read up on all your ports...although, there is no info on the "private" beaches (Princess Cays and Labadee)..but there is plenty on your other potential ports. Find out all there is in each one, and choose according to what sounds best to YOU and the things you would enjoy!

Do you like visiting historical sites...or snorkeling...or zip-lining...or beaches, shopping, etc....Pick according to what interests you most!

IMO, for your first cruise, pick one and enjoy it.

To me, picking your first cruise is more about dates and convenience of the departure port. You will enjoy all the ports, as they are new to you. You will enjoy any ship, because it will be new to you.

I'm a bit surprised it hasn't happened already, but typically there's a chorus of the repetitive "go call an experienced cruise agent" blah blah.

Partially, due to the rules here, it becomes BAD advice.

It can be REALLY hard for a cruise newbie to even find an experienced cruise agent. Even if they've been on several cruises, it doesn't necessarily make them an expert across all the different lines. Nor does calling an agent at one of the giant online agents.

Honestly, your best bet is to just keep asking questions on here. The collective hive mind of Cruise Critic will far exceed any one local agent.

There's not really any difference in booking through an agent vs the cruise line. Even in terms of availability, due to the giant cruise agencies (not a company like Expedia or Orbitz, they're not actually a "travel agency" and there's really no advantage to them at all), they might hold giant blocks of reservations so even the cruise line itself can't book you into those. You just need to keep shopping around. In general, I recommend actually booking through an agent as there's a specific person you can contact should something go wrong. If you go through a site like Expedia or even the cruise line itself, you can get passed around with no one taking responsibility and if it's a time sensitive issue, you're screwed.

You cannot go wrong with either. TRULY a wash!

I have cruised the Allure & she is our favorite ship.

I have cruised Princess & she is our favorite line!

The itineraries are quite similar. I do agree that Labadee is better than Princess Cays. But St. Thomas has one of our fav beaches, Sapphire Beach on the other side of the island from the port.

Which ever is a better value is the one I would go with. You say they are the same price--what kind of cabin? It does surprise me a bit. I would expect Princess to be a bit cheaper.

Regarding TAs vs. direct--there are reasons for doing both & neither is wrong.

Read up on all your ports...although, there is no info on the "private" beaches (Princess Cays and Labadee)..but there is plenty on your other potential ports. Find out all there is in each one, and choose according to what sounds best to YOU and the things you would enjoy!

Do you like visiting historical sites...or snorkeling...or zip-lining...or beaches, shopping, etc....Pick according to what interests you most!

There is info on the private beaches in the port of call tab on here. I would pick Allure because of the ship itself as well as the ports. I am limited in experience, but I would be more interested in visiting San Juan over St. Maarten. We have only sailed with Royal Caribbean, but have been very pleased. Our first cruise was on one of their much smaller ships (it has been sold since then) and we had an amazing time. I think going back now though we might be disappointed in ship amenities after being on larger ships. I say this only to point out that on a first cruise you will most likely enjoy any of the ships.

I am a first time cruiser with my wife wondering which cruise we should choose. We have done the research and now are wondering what you guys think with your experience. Or what you think would be best. Looking to not be in our room to much and explore each port to its fullest. We do not mind the differences between the boats (Extravagant Allure with it's huge waterslides vs the Princess with more basic amenities.) We are more focused on the ports. Both are out of Ft. Lauderdale and both are 7 nights. Also same price.

Option 1:

Cruise line: Royal Caribbean Cruise Line

Ship: Allure of the Seas

Ports:

Philipsburg

San Juan

Labadi/Labadee

Option 2:

Cruise line: Princess Cruise Line

Ship: Caribbean Princess

Ports:

Princess Cays, Bahamas

St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

St. Maarten

Thanks!

Also, is going through a travel agent better? I just don't see many of the options with an agent vs the actual cruise line websites, so I am not sure everything that is included (Prepaid gratuity, Vacation protection, etc..)

I've never cruised on RC so I can't provide any experience on that line other than to say I have heard many good comments on them from others. I have cruised many times on Princess and have never had a bad experience on any of them. I do know that check-in for a Princess cruise is quicker and easier than on RC. If you have a good, experienced travel agent they can provide you a lot of good information and keep an eye out for price changes, deals, etc. for you that may get you savings and/or added benefits on your cruise. Often they also may provide you with OBC (On Board Credit) that you very well might not get otherwise. A lazy or inexperienced agent on the other hand may not "go the extra mile" for you. In my estimation, however, the vast majority of travel agents do not fall into that category and will work to get you the most for your money.

One thing I would highly recommend, whether you go through the cruiseline itself or through an agent is to continue to check on your cruise even after you have made your initial booking and watch for price drops, special sales, or anything else that might come along that will save you money or gain you benefits. I happened to look on line at a trans-Atlantic cruise my wife and I had scheduled for September, 2019 and noticed that there was a new benefit being offered of $500/person On Board Credit. My wife called the line, asked if our reservation could be transfered to fall under the new benefit and was told "Sure, no problem!" The transfer was made and in about 2 minutes or so, we had acquired $100 of OBC! Always ask, because the worst they can do is say "No." If you're using an agent, you just call him/her and have them check.

Whichever way you go, I hope you have a great cruise and a safe trip to the cruise and back home!

Tom

I've been on both ships and to all those ports. Definitely Allure. The ship is absolutely amazing and I think her itinerary is better. When it comes to private islands, Labadee blows Princess Cays away.

One thing though....Allure does not have waterslides. You might be thinking of her 2 newer sisters, Harmony and Symphony.

Agree with Aquahound...we've also sailed both ships and been to all the ports...another vote for Allure.

Booking it directly with the cruise line gives you more control. Booking with a TA...possible onboard credits and other perks.

Bottom line: It's your first cruise, have fun! If you get addicted, you can always sail different lines and different ships so you can decide best what's good for you. Welcome to Cruise Critic and Happy Sailing! :)