Husband and Wife Dressing Like Twins

kitty9

We had a very interesting couple on my Crystal cruise. They liked to dress like twins, not by just wearing the same shirts during the day, but they had matching outfits for the evening. One day it was powder blue blazers, white shirts and white slacks, and on other nights it was pink, yellow, navy or red. On some nights the woman wore a white skirt instead of slacks and the hubby wore the white slacks. Personally, I think it was a bit over the top.

Darcie

Was this an older couple or were they younger? I've seen couples do this before although not quite to that extreme. I'm too independent to want to do that and I know my DH would NEVER go for the idea either.

bookworm2.gif

Navigator OTS 10/04

Legend 04/04

Grand Princess 09/03

Dawn Princess 01/03

Enchantment OTS 10/02

Destiny 01/02

Sensation 08/99

Hi Darcieicon_smile.gif good to see you again.

There was a couple on my March Mercury sailing who dressed "the same" during the day. Actually they were part of our ROLL CALL icon_smile.gif.

It was just for daytime though. Same shirts, if I remember correctly.

But for the evenings, they didn't do the "matching thing".

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising

Nah..this is going toooooooooo far!

I must confess I do tend to match our outifts with complimenting colours etc (looks better in pics) and I do like us to dress as a couple in a way that both of us look equal but "twinning" it..no way!

icon_eek.gif

For me, I would never do this. DH and I have been together well over 20 years (we are both 47) and I just wouldn't like dressing alike. He has his own style, preferring linen slacks and polo shirts or linen Bandolini shirts, and I have my style. To dress alike, we would probably laugh at one another! icon_eek.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2005;04;02;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

OUR NEXT ONWARD JOURNEY!

DH and I like to color coordinate on ocassion, but not wear the exact same thing..that is ridiculous.

<MARQUEE>icon_smile.gifShelia icon_smile.gif</MARQUEE>

Sailing the Mariner in.......

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<font color="#003399" face="Benguiat Bk BT">Carnival Destiny 2002</font>

icon_eek.gif DH and I have our own personalities, tastes and styles. Would never happen with us. The thought has never crossed our minds.

Funny, but recently, we were dressing for dinner with some friends at a local restaurant. When we saw we were wearing the same colors, I changed my clothes. We DID laugh. icon_biggrin.gif

IMHO, if I had twins, I would not dress them identically, or even match colors. To me, two people are two people.

The Crystal cruise couple would've been just a bit too much.

Karen icon_wink.gif

Carnival Miracle 10/24/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;10;24;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

My dh and I did this inadvertently once. I didn't see him after he'd dressed for work and left. I picked him up at work and we went out to dinner and a concert. At that time I discovered we were both wearing a navy blazer and gray beneath (slacks or skirt) with a blue shirt. I felt absolutely stupid playing twins.

I heard a similar story from a friend who had a friend <g> whose hubby bought them matching t-birds in light blue. Gag.

My dh and I have already hit that point in marriage where we often have the same thought at the same time and order the same thing in a restaurant. Give me a little individuality please. I'm holding on by my fingertips here.

My husband and I have made a promise to each other that we will never dress alike and I will never make him carry my purse.

Compliment each other, yes, but not the same color, yikes. I've seen whole families do this on cruises with Hawaiian shirts, not for us at all.

I've also seen family reunion groups at Disneyland wearing the same t-shirt, usually tie-dyed, obviously at home. Nothing looks more ridiculous than a bunch of grownups in hot pink tie-dyed t-shirts. Please!! Be yourself!!

Kathy

I'll try to keep us color coordinated - especially if I want formal pictures done, but dressing like twins is going a little too far. I can just imagine my DH dressed like me!

The only time I saw this and thought it was cute was on our cruise to Hawaii, when we had Hawaiian night a lot of the couples matched the ladies dress or skirt to the husbands shirt (thanks to Hilo Hatties).

lszu

Sovereign 7/99

Monarch 7/00

Vision 9/01

Voyager 9/02

Adventure 9/03

eeekkk.

I think that is a bit much.

I do "theme"us on occassion.(Rare).But as and example,for embarkation on our last cruise,I had on a red/white/blue starburst shortset.DH had on a white with blue stipes polo /khaki dockers,and DS had on a blue 'CHildrens Place T"

with the AMerican Flag.DH and I have matching

Hawiann shirts that we wear in port 1 day.

So,maybe I am a bit much too!

I have a friend with two precious little girls.

3,7.They all 3 dress alike the entire cruise icon_frown.gif

<RCI-Rhapsody- 2003

RCI-Rhapsody- 2004

until the return to the Rhapsody of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;09;12;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

netdiver.gif

I like to see SOME color coordination so you don't clash, especially for photos and it could be fun wearing something matching for a theme night, such as Island night, but the WHOLE OUTFIT every time is a bit much!

But I think you all are missing the point with families and/or family reunions--especially in theme parks or large events when you are immersed in a much largergroup. It's easy to spot each other as a family if you inadvertantly get seperated (or even if it's not inadvertant but you want to meet at a certain time!) For family reunions I would imagine it's more about the SHARED identity or a unity thing--a once-every-twenty-years-get-together. I think it might be fun, as long as you're not expected to dress alike for the entire cruise/trip/etc.

Also, I think it's cute to see siblings dressed alike or similarly/color coordinated, as long as it's not a constant thing. I would think that if someone feels like they can loose their individuality/identity over an occasional clothing coordinating incident there is a bigger problem there! (Unless it's the pink formals thing!! icon_biggrin.gif )

Let's see. How do I explain their age group? Well, the husband was what I thought to be quite a bit older than the wife, with the jet black dyed hair and mustache, but I would guess him to be in his mid to late 60's. The wife, who looked natural without any "work" done, looked to be in her late 40's. Add to that the fact that the wife is fabulously beautiful and you get the picture. Actually, there were quite a number of "trophy" wives on this cruise, with the husbands being late 70's to early 80's and the wives being early 50's, at the very most.

Darcie

I'm sure it was interesting to "check out" their matching oufits each night. DH and I will color coordinate but, not match completely or exactly!! I have a gorgeous black lace dress for the next cruise but, I'm sure DH won't wear a black lace shirt! LOL icon_smile.gif I have been guilty of dressing my boys (8 and 5) with matching--if possible-- outfits which coordinate with their sister (11) but, not all the time. In theme parks it makes it easier to identify them--not that I've ever "lost" them but, these days you never know what might happen. icon_frown.gif

Sovereign of the Seas 6/00

Fascination 6/01

Fantasy 6/03

Sovereign 6/04

DH and I would never dress alike. We're waaay too individual for that.

For formal photo's I do look at our clothes to make sure that they will look nice together in a photo.

However, when I do see couples on a cruise that dress alike, I smile. It's not that I like the look but I do enjoy seeing how people express their affection for one another and dressing alike is just one way of doing it. It's not my way, but it's certainly acceptable.

I'm no psychologist, but it strikes me that it might be a subconscious need that some have to "mark one's territory" for others to see.

Jane

We had to have the matching shirts last year on our land trip to Hawaii. But otherwise, we just try to dress in the same "mode" and somewhat a matching color.

Monarch of the Seas 09/92

Majesty of the Seas 11/93

Sovereign of the Seas 09/94

Majesty of the Seas 11/95

Grandeur of the Seas 11/99

Grandeur of the Seas 11/00

Grandeur of the Seas 06/01

Grandeur of the Seas 02/02

Navigator of the Seas 12/02

Rhapsody of the Seas 06/03

Radiance of the Seas 11/03

Grandeur of the Seas 05/04

Navigator of the Seas 11/04

Nah, I get the point of the family reunion thing. I just think it is highly embarrasing, especially for the guys. Why not have a pin, or a baseball type cap for guys, sun visors for the ladies? Far less conspicuous.

Kathy

Oh My, you all have me very concerned. My husband and I have 2 matching outfits, he has the shirt I have the dress. They are JAMS clothes. We wore one of them last year on the DAWN and we didn't hear negative comments. Was everyone laughing at us? I thought we'd wear the other set this year on our Mariner May 30th sailing for the Caribbean night since they are colorful. Although I might say, the one we had planned on taking on the Mariner are not at "bright" as on our last cruise.

Should we leave them home? Help, we thought it would be fun. Yes we are a bit older (62, 54) but don't act our ages.

Joanne

Hi Joanne and Fredicon_smile.gif I think if you feel good in your outfits, then wear themicon_smile.gif

In my opinion, (and you know what they about those icon_wink.gif), I don't think its any big deal.

Maybe its because I don't have a mate (I doubt that though).

Remember, this board is for all of us. I wouldn't want you to feel uncomfortable because some folks think differently than you do.

I am just trying to play devils advocate here.

The couple of friends I had met on the Mercury wore the same shirts (kind of hawaiin style). I didn't see anything wrong with it.

If you bought them to wear on the cruise...I say "Go For It"icon_smile.gif

I really think it is up to the individual and doing what is most comfortable for that person.

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising

Joanne and Fred - I think that would be O.K. - just don't let Fred wear the dress!

Seriously, I saw a lot of this on my Hawaiian cruise and liked it there. I would not encourage wearing matching shirts, pants, shoes, hats, all at the same time, though, that might be a little too much!

lszu

Sovereign 7/99

Monarch 7/00

Vision 9/01

Voyager 9/02

Adventure 9/03

Okay, I have to say something here.

I think it is great they had matching outfits.

Would I do it, probably not, but then you weren't asking what I would do.

I think it shows a strong committment and degree of affection. Something we all probably need to see more of in this day and age....No doubt the couple was very happy together!

Perhpas the guy (I am making an assumption here, I'm a guy, I can see this happening) isn't very good at selecting clothes or outfits and his wife enjoys doing it. This was a good way to be dressed up. At least they did not violate the dining room dress code, and now they are being criticized here.

It was their cruise and they were enjoying it. Good for them!!

• 2 weeks later...

ok, here is my opinion on the couple dressing like twins:

If they were an older couple...like 70 Plus..it would be cute..younger...UGHHHHHHHHH

I do try to coordinate what my hubby and I will wear as far as nonclashing colors...especially times (like cruises) where we will be in lots of pics. But dressing exactly alike? For us..not even when we are 99!

*******Proud member of O.A.T.C.******

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;6;12;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

6/12/04 2nd Anniversary on The Carnival Miracle

inlove.gif

6/2003 Carnival Legend

1st Anniversary

inlove.gif

6/2002 Celebrity Mercury

Honeymoon