Information Please!

tommui987

Looking at Amazon, the Sony A6300 is listed at 1.55 pounds.

The Sony A7M3 is listed at 1.44 pounds.

Is this correct?

And I recall that the Sony lenses I have for the A6300 have some drawbacks if used in a full frame such as the A7M3.

Dave? Justin? Aaron?

Looking at Amazon, the Sony A6300 is listed at 1.55 pounds.

The Sony A7M3 is listed at 1.44 pounds.

Is this correct?

And I recall that the Sony lenses I have for the A6300 have some drawbacks if used in a full frame such as the A7M3.

Dave? Justin? Aaron?

A6300 - .89 lb/404g

A7M3 - 1.44 lb/650g

Amazon randomly flips between shipping weight and item weight. Dimensions of product and box too.

Sony lenses designed for the APS-C cameras don't project an image circle large enough to cover the FF sensor and will vignette heavily in the corners. They will fit and work in "APS-C/Super 35MM" mode (bottom of first page of menu) which changes the readout to the area of an APS-C sensor (about 10MP) with the same 1.5x effect on the lens' focal length. You can use them without the crop mode but they will vignette to varying degrees depending on the lens.

According to some reviews, the A7M3 handles older lenses better than some earlier models. The FF lenses like the FE 70-300 G that you already have for the A6300 will, of course work just fine.

Do I hear the desperate edge of temptation in these questions, Tom?

;)

Dave

I just added an A7 III to my Sony gear alongside my old A6000. The crop sensor E mount lenses will work as mentioned above in Super35 mode but you’ll only be using a small portion of your image sensor. Over time you’re going to be better off selling the old lenses and upgrading them to the FE mount full frame Sony lenses.

On a somewhat related note, I’ve been using full frame Sigma Art Canon EF mount lenses on my A7 III using the Sigma MC11 adapter with great results.