Accessible cabins

Was hoping that someone could provide some info on accessible rooms. My family is considering a cruise on the Oasis of the Seas.My Mother-in-law would be joining us for the first time (on her first cruise) and has some mobilityissues. It is very likely that my wife will stay with her in this room toprovide as assistance needed. One of the things I'm already doing is looking at the ports to be visited to avoid having to tender in (which it would appear would indicate that an eastern cruise would be better)

What I want to do is put her in a room near the rest of thefamily (we will be in 3-4 balcony cabins).

My question in this, what are some thoughts and reviews onthe accessible cabins, and how difficult will it be to reserve balcony cabinsnear this cabin.

Thanks in advance.

It depends on what kind of mobility issues she has. Accessible cabins have larger entrances to make room for wheelchairs and tubs rather than showers. I *think* regular rooms on Oasis still have a grab handle in the shower, but maybe somebody can confirm. A shower stool can also be provided.

This may not be applicable, but FYI some posters who need mobility scooters have said a regular room is fine as long as you have a small scooter.

I would highly recommend using a travel agent to put this together as RC customer service doesn't always have all the answers that a TA can get for you. Just make sure everything is in writing.

It depends on what kind of mobility issues she has. Accessible cabins have larger entrances to make room for wheelchairs and tubs rather than showers. I *think* regular rooms on Oasis still have a grab handle in the shower, but maybe somebody can confirm. A shower stool can also be provided.

This may not be applicable, but FYI some posters who need mobility scooters have said a regular room is fine as long as you have a small scooter.

I would highly recommend using a travel agent to put this together as RC customer service doesn't always have all the answers that a TA can get for you. Just make sure everything is in writing.

Accessible cabins do NOT have tubs for sure. How would a handicapped person even get into one?

That's right..accessible cabins have "roll-in" showers, designed for wheelchair use/transfer....grab bars, higher toilet, etc.... If she can walk, even with a walker, an accessible cabin might not be needed. You can put anyone with anyone else...however you want to set up the occupants.

There are so few Accessible cabins than standard cabins so most ( including me) who require the features provided in such a cabin book 1 -2 years in advance because they sell out fast.

Does your mother-in-law require the features that are contained in an accessible cabin such as ?

• zero threshold bathroom entrance
  • zero threshold shower
  • fold down shower seat
  • raised toilets
  • grab bars in shower and by bathroom
  • room to move about the cabin with a walker, rollator, mobility scooter, wheelchair
  • bathroom to accommodate a walker, rollator, mobility scooter wheelchair.
  • room to accommodate a Hoyer lift, portable commode, hospital bed
  • 32" accessible cabin entrance door to accommodate a wheelchair, full size scooter or bariatric scooter

If the above features are not required than please don't book an accessible cabin. As of January 1, 2012 a USA Department of Transportation Law went into effect that requires anyone booking an accessible cabin on a ship embarking from a USA Port must certify their need to have an accessible. If it's determined the passenger fraudulently confirmed their needs for the features contained in an accessible cabin that person can be removed from the cruise as well as be banned from ever cruising with that line again. This law went into effect because of the fraudulent booking both by TA's booking for abled bodied clients and able bodied passengers who booked accessible cabins to get the space provided in a suite without having to pay for a suite.

If the features contained in an accessible cabin are required by your mother in law than being that there are not accessible cabins in every category combined with the fact there are so few accessible cabins (even on the Oasis) it can be difficult getting a group of standard cabins next or near an accessible cabin .

Edited by xxoocruiser