Who is HAL's new breed of customers?

EDLOS

As someone noted in a post on a different current thread, very few cruise ships used to call on the Italian port of La Spezia until the Cinque Terre villages became suddenly popular. Now suddenly it is a mainstream destination.

Cinque Terre was always a popular destination for tourists who like to hike the trails. The knock on effect of the cruise passenger numbers is that from this year they are limiting the number of visitors for the first time. Speaking to locals last year many were upset at cruise ship passenger behaviour which even included people found defecating in local gardens .... :mad:

Edited by Lovely other
For some reason the top portion is not registering as a quote

As someone noted in a post on a different current thread, very few cruise ships used to call on the Italian port of La Spezia until the Cinque Terre villages became suddenly popular. Now suddenly it is a mainstream destination.

Cinque Terre was always a popular destination for tourists who like to hike the trails. The knock on effect of the cruise passenger numbers is that from this year they are limiting the number of visitors for the first time. Speaking to locals last year many were upset at cruise ship passenger behaviour which even included people found defecating in local gardens .... :mad:

It is a very shocking and stark contrast to be in Vernazza after 5pm - so very quiet and calm. The locals still like those who come and stay. One of the things that you could count on the day visitors of all ages/abilities was to walk the flat, paved trail between Riomaggiore and Manarolo. Unfortunately, with the tragic mudslides a few years ago, that trail was destroyed and not rebuilt. So, there is only walking the hilly villages left. To me, CT was not meant to be rushed through in a few hours to check it off a list - it is meant to be there for days and hike and sun and savor and laugh with the locals in the little piazzas and restaurants. There are no "major/must-see" sights in the villages - the villages themselves are the attraction.

We've visited the Cinque Terre twice and stayed there both times. Vernazza is where we had one of the best meals of our lives. The magic of Italy is many places, but you have to get away from the hordes.

Venice too is magical off the beaten path and in the evenings when the day trippers leave.

Sad to hear about such a negative impact, but it is a small fragile place that could easily be overrun.

I visited Cinque Terre about 25 years ago with my oldest daughter. Not many tourists. A very authentic place then. I wouldn't want to go back to see how it has changed.

I felt the same way about Taormina. I was there many years ago and it seemed like such a quaint and authentic little town. We had to take the elevator to get to it. I loved it. When I returned a couple years ago, it was overcrowded, commercialized and inundated with tour buses. Plus, you had to pay to get into the theater ruins.

I guess I'm partly to blame for being part of the cruise ship invasion, but it's sad nonetheless.