Holland America's Westerdam Cruise Ship Emerges from Dry Dock With New Spaces

LauraS

I was worried after reading the reviews, but the pictures were really nice. A fully stocked library is nice, but it's not that hard to pack a couple of paperbacks. And most people have their noses in eReaders these days. I need to find a Westerdam cruise.

I sailed the Koningsdam Innaugural T/A last October and love the ship.

Yes, I missed the library but I knew before I sailed that the library was no longer a feature so I brought 2 paperbacks and my tablet loaded with books. From what I saw, there were as many people with books as there were with tablets or kindles.

When I disembarked, I got on the Caribbean Princess for another cruise. They always had a beautiful library but that too was now all gone except for a very few reference/travel books. The glass doors to the empty bookshelves were locked.

I don't know if this book less library is a Carnival Corp. decision or if it is becoming industry wide.

I don't need a library -- you can bring your own book -- change is not a bad thing -- I've seen pics of the 'new' and it looks amazing to me. Sailing on her in Feb 2018 - looking forward to new and updated and what ever that brings.

The first impression article raved about Lincoln Center Stage. On the Koningsdam, the Music Walk did not have many physical barriers between venues or the walkways, so there was a lot of noise distraction, especially for Lincoln center Stage. The noise from people walking by and talking often drowned the classical performance out. Did they fix this issue?

• 2 weeks later...

Our first cruise on HAL will be on the Westerdam in Nov. I know there used to be a "disco" or a place to dance but don't seem to see anything in pics now. Also, I was told about the movie theatre ( with popcorn) but don't see a mention of that either. The Explorer Café ( think it's a coffee/pastry shop) were mentioned to me... is that gone?

thanks for info

Here is a descriptive video regarding the Westerdam retrofit:

igraf

I'll reserve judgment until we cruise on her again. Not really impressed with the new Crows Nest or the museum.

Allan

I am really disappointed with the Crows Nest also. Looks like a sell, sell, sell place to me. Used to be such a peaceful place to be able to sit and watch the world go by.

Won't be going to the bar among the art work either. Never been to the art shows, not about to start now.

Saling on her in Feb 2018 - I think the changes look great -- Love the crows next and now there is plenty of room to sit, chat, plan. Wont miss a 'disco' - it's 2017. Excited to see what this all looks like and I refuse to complain till I sail on her.

I do needle crafts and need a sofa space instead of a chair to allow me to hold my cross stitch frame on my lap. Those sofas look horrible! I can't imagine sitting there for a couple hours chatting with my new best friends doing their own knitting/crocheting/cross stitching. Very disappointing!:(

and yet you haven't tried it yet --- hmmmm

I am really disappointed with the Crows Nest also. Looks like a sell, sell, sell place to me. Used to be such a peaceful place to be able to sit and watch the world go by.

Won't be going to the bar among the art work either. Never been to the art shows, not about to start now.

Still plenty of space in there to just sit and stare out a window... seriously?

And I think you mean the Gallery Bar (former Northern Lights nightclub)? That has nothing to do with the art gallery that sells pieces onboard. These are literally just pictures on the wall in a space that has a bar nearby. I get where the confusion could have come from, but this is completely different. Lovely space too.

EXC looks OK to me- still has the bar, coffee, and plenty of places to sit. Library has never been a big one for me- that's what my tablet is for. Perhaps HAL should partner with another Seattle company (Amazon) to offer book downloads on board for a reasonable fee. I remember a woman bringing back her library books that she picked up before she got hit with the "GI" bug. She said she was really glad to have them while quarantined in her room. They did close the library due to code red but anyone that already had books kept them until the code was lifted. No thanks- not enough hand washing can wipe the thought of her "sitting there" flipping pages on the library books.

Looking forward to seeing the changes. One question I haven't seen answered- looks in pictures like Chocolate Seduction is still there- anyone know?

Updating and change can be great -- as long as the baby is not thrown out with the bathwater. ;p

Most of the recent renovation looks nice--but I would be greatful if anyone can confirm a few Superior Suite changes on the Westerdam -- because in 10 days we begin a 7-week stay in one:

1. Are the convenient medicine cabinets really gone? If so, is there somewhere else to hygienically enclose your daily items (other than on the open shelf underneath the sinks or in hanging bags)?
  2. Has the TV moved from the desk (where athough it took up too much space it was at least visible from the bed AND from the sofa) to ABOVE the sofa? (You have to sit on the BED to watch???!!)
  3. The new photo shows the same old clunky wrought-iron glass-top one-level coffee table--rather than an adjustable-level table you could actually eat on. Is that still the deal? (I'm tempted to carry-on some TV tray tables.)

I dearly love nearly everything about HAL-- but sometimes I do wonder if the people who make design decisions have ever actually spent any time on a cruise ship (or looked at some similar brands' innovations)....:o

Thanks,

Mary-Lou

Until we see it in person, we won't really know how comfortable or uncomfortable is the new Crows Nest. And, even then, it is a matter of individual taste. So, till then . . .

Again I say - Have any of the complainers on this thread actually sailed on the remodeled ship???????????????

If you have I will listen to you --- if you haven't I'll tell what I think after I sail on her.

• 4 weeks later...
Updating and change can be great -- as long as the baby is not thrown out with the bathwater. ;p

Most of the recent renovation looks nice--but I would be greatful if anyone can confirm a few Superior Suite changes on the Westerdam -- because in 10 days we begin a 7-week stay in one:

1. Are the convenient medicine cabinets really gone? If so, is there somewhere else to hygienically enclose your daily items (other than on the open shelf underneath the sinks or in hanging bags)?
  2. Has the TV moved from the desk (where athough it took up too much space it was at least visible from the bed AND from the sofa) to ABOVE the sofa? (You have to sit on the BED to watch???!!)
  3. The new photo shows the same old clunky wrought-iron glass-top one-level coffee table--rather than an adjustable-level table you could actually eat on. Is that still the deal? (I'm tempted to carry-on some TV tray tables.)

I dearly love nearly everything about HAL-- but sometimes I do wonder if the people who make design decisions have ever actually spent any time on a cruise ship (or looked at some similar brands' innovations)....:o

Thanks,

Mary-Lou

Was on the Westerdam last month. Lovely Med cruise. The new big flat screen tv on the wall is great, and can be viewed from the bed and the sofa. The frame below it holds the cruise and info books, freeing up the desk top. There are two usb ports as well as the two us and two euro outlets at the back of the desk. There is also a usb port at each nightstand. The medicine cabinet is still in the bathroom.

I thought the layout of the crows nest was great. The one thing I really didn't like about the remodel, was the atrium. The carpet is garish and the rest dull and depressing.

Feel free to ask away.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Again I say - Have any of the complainers on this thread actually sailed on the remodeled ship???????????????

If you have I will listen to you --- if you haven't I'll tell what I think after I sail on her.

The lack of many things there(a true bar,books,etc.) isn't a deal breaker for me;there are so many other bars on the Westerdam that it's low on my list of priorities.

Was on the Westerdam last month. Lovely Med cruise. The new big flat screen tv on the wall is great, and can be viewed from the bed and the sofa. The frame below it holds the cruise and info books, freeing up the desk top. There are two usb ports as well as the two us and two euro outlets at the back of the desk. There is also a usb port at each nightstand. The medicine cabinet is still in the bathroom.

I thought the layout of the crows nest was great. The one thing I really didn't like about the remodel, was the atrium. The carpet is garish and the rest dull and depressing.

Feel free to ask away.

On day 27 of 49 on Westerdam--and just to clarify: Sadly, in a Signature Suite (SY/SS) you canNOT view the TV from the sofa, as the new large TV is directly above it (where a large art print used to be).... There is, however, more space on desk where TV used to sit. Note: New TV service does NOT allow you to view your account (bill). You can only access via personal device or print via Deck 1 machine (or ask Front Desk). And you can no longer get the screen that shows exactly where the ship is.... Other new services via the TV are offered, including many new movies to select to view individually (rather than via DVD).

Also: Medicine cabinets are indeed gone (Bring a hanging bag or two.), and the clunky low cocktail table (unsuitable for room service meals) remains post-renovation.

Bathroom has a nice automatic nightlight--and USB ports are helpful. New carpet and soft furnishings are welcome.

And, as always, staff onboard are truly marvelous! 😊

Hope this helps.

Warmest wishes,

Mary-Lou

On day 27 of 49 on Westerdam--and just to clarify: Sadly, in a Signature Suite (SY/SS) you canNOT view the TV from the sofa, as the new large TV is directly above it (where a large art print used to be).... There is, however, more space on desk where TV used to sit. Note: New TV service does NOT allow you to view your account (bill). You can only access via personal device or print via Deck 1 machine (or ask Front Desk). And you can no longer get the screen that shows exactly where the ship is.... Other new services via the TV are offered, including many new movies to select to view individually (rather than via DVD).

Also: Medicine cabinets are indeed gone (Bring a hanging bag or two.), and the clunky low cocktail table (unsuitable for room service meals) remains post-renovation.

Bathroom has a nice automatic nightlight--and USB ports are helpful. New carpet and soft furnishings are welcome.

And, as always, staff onboard are truly marvelous! [emoji4]

Hope this helps.

Warmest wishes,

Mary-Lou

I should have clarified. We were in a regular veranda room, not an SS/SY suite. I suspect the medicine cabinet and sofa table will be replaced at some time in the near future, as they were both showing their age. The carpet and drapes were new. In the veranda room, the bed and sofa are on the same wall with the desk and tv on the opposite wall.