Silliest Comment You've Heard

AlohaPride

When a friend of mine found out we were sailing on HAL for 14 days in Alaska she said, "Be prepared to take the stairs everywhere because of all the scooters." I think I actually laughed out loud - then explained why we so love HAL (and her passengers).

Anyhoo. . .

This got me thinking, what's the silliest/weirdest comment you've heard regarding our mutual line of choice?

Sent from my SGH-T779 using Tapatalk

I don't know if it's "silliest", but two things in recent reviews are pretty dumb:

(1) A couple was told (and believed) that there was a surcharge for the MDR, so they ate all their dinners in the Lido. I guess they never thought to ask on board how much the charge was!

(2) A Zuiderdam reviewer stated that room service cost $11.50 per day "no matter what you ordered", obviously mistaking the Hotel Service Charge as a room service charge, which is clearly spelled out in Know Before You Go. I could understand better if it was his/her first cruise ever, but they had sailed on Celebrity and Carnival previously! :eek:

Edited by jtl513

Oh, this is easy: That people are never going to sail HAL again because of the new policy limiting them to carrying on only one bottle of wine per person. Sorry but IMHO that tops the list of silly statements. :rolleyes: :p

Oh, this is easy: That people are never going to sail HAL again because of the new policy limiting them to carrying on only one bottle of wine per person. Sorry but IMHO that tops the list of silly statements. :rolleyes: :p

Adding to that. The guy who spends more on the wine he brings aboard than his cabin,thank god for hip boots.

The first time I sailed on HAL, a lady at the sail away party was saying that she always cruised on HAL because of their "no tipping" policy. What???:eek:

"Tipping not required" was the way Holland America phrased it less than 15 years ago. I have seen a number of cruisers who don't find out that tipping is expected until well into the cruise.

We've had several friends and colleagues respond, upon hearing that we cruise with Holland, "Why with them, they are for old folks?" or my favourite, "Holland, the Grey Line".

I was told since HAL was for old folks, the only time you hit a jackpot on the slot machines is when three prunes line-up on the pay line :D.

That was true when we started sailing on HAL in the 1990s.

Actually had our TA at the time tell us we'd not have to or be expected to tip on Holland America....I think that was in 1994...and the HAL brochure at the time said or implied the same. We were a bit embarrassed the final day to see people tipping staff out of hand but we quickly regrouped and handed out tips as the service was exceptional back then.

"If the Captain had wanted to he could have gone to…" a cancelled port. That comment was made this past fall when a port was changed (yes we got a replacement port) as going to the original port would have required sailing across the path of and directly behind the "eye" (or whatever the word is for Typhoons) of the terrible Typhoon that so damaged parts of the Philippines this past Fall.

Note - while there was a good reason for the disappointment of many at missing the port in question, the replacement port and the cruise to it were far better for my interests. It was one of the highlights of the cruise, but I do understand the disappointment of many others. Most were simply grateful that the Captain avoided terrible waters.

Just yesterday, I think, on the fashion board, someone asked if black dressy pants and sparkly tops were okay for formal night. One answer: "Yes, but don't wear the tops with the shoulder pads like the ladies on HAL."

LOL I had a good belly laugh with that one :)

Actually had our TA at the time tell us we'd not have to or be expected to tip on Holland America....I think that was in 1994...and the HAL brochure at the time said or implied the same. We were a bit embarrassed the final day to see people tipping staff out of hand but we quickly regrouped and handed out tips as the service was exceptional back then.

This EXACT situation happened to us on our first HAL cruise.

DaveOKC

One of my favorites is the perennial clothing question: Is it okay to wear white after Labor Day on a Caribbean cruise?

Hmmm.....do the Caribbean islands or the cruise lines send out the fashion police if you don't observe a US fashion industry decree based on a US holiday?