Piano Bar Schedule (updated)

mhurdle127

Realizing that several people might be interested, I am starting a list of the Piano Bar entertainers per HAL ship for the coming year, based on their websites and other information I can find. So here is the first attempt -- others may want to add information as they find it.

Barry Rocklin (Barry from Boston)

5/31/14-8/9/14 Veendam

9/14/14-11/16/14 Eurodam

1/13/15-7/25/15 Veendam

Michael Sara

4/4/14-11/24/14 Noordam

Jimmy Maddox

Thru 7/20/14 Eurodam

9/7/14-12/5/14 Oosterdam

1/4/15-3/22/15 Nieuw Amsterdam

Jamsheed Master

Thru 8/16/14 Maasdam

9/28/14-1/16/15 Statendam

Derek Floyd

4/28/14 - 9/20/14 Amsterdam

Debby Bacon

9/21/14-12/8/14 Amsterdam

1/5/15-4/30/15 Amsterdam

Please feel free to add information to the thread as you find it. There is an extensive list on the Carnival forum so we should be able to develop a similar one here!

Realizing that several people might be interested, I am starting a list of the Piano Bar entertainers per HAL ship for the coming year, based on their websites and other information I can find. So here is the first attempt -- others may want to add information as they find it.

Derek Floyd

Please feel free to add information to the thread as you find it. There is an extensive list on the Carnival forum so we should be able to develop a similar one here!

I applaud your effort, and would find such a list very helpful over time. Thank you so much for taking this on.

Have you considered arranging it by ship, though, instead of by entertainer? That way we could look to see who is playing on the ship we have booked.

Please take another look at Derek Floyd's schedule. When I saw Diane Fast on the Oosterdam last month she said she would be on the Amsterdam when I'm on August 24-September 7. I can't recall if she was leaving then, or on until the end of the season. I think she was coming back earlier in August, and was going to be on another ship (I forget which one) for a brief period before that.

You are probably correct, RuthC. I took the end date for Derek Floyd based on Debby Bacon coming on the Amsterdam on September 21st. It is very likely that Diane is in there in between the two. I am a pianist myself and have played in many churches and with community theaters across the years, and while I have never played in a bar, I have great respect for those who do this. We always frequent the Piano Bar on HAL ships, so putting together this list is a natural extension of my talents and interests.

Barry Rocklin (Barry from Boston)

5/31/14-8/9/14 Veendam

9/14/14-11/16/14 Eurodam

1/13/15-7/25/15 Veendam

Michael Sara

4/4/14-11/24/14 Noordam

Jimmy Maddox

Thru 7/20/14 Eurodam

9/7/14-12/5/14 Oosterdam

Jamsheed Master

Thru 8/16/14 Maasdam

9/28/14-1/16/15 Statendam

Derek Floyd

Debby Bacon

9/21/14-12/8/14 Amsterdam

1/5/15-4/30/15 Amsterdam

Sure wish Jimmy Maddox had been on the "O" when I was in early May. He is 1000% better than the dude on there now. Derek Floyd is a real treat. Had him last year on the Amsterdam. He does a great tribute to Lionel Ritchie. I'm wondering who will be on Statendam Sept 21/14.:)

Jim Fischer - we had a great time with him on the Noordam

He will be on the Zuiderdam from 16 August 2014. I am not sure exactly when he is on until but I believe it is until mid-September

Thank you for doing this!

Jimmy Maddox

Thru 7/20/14 Eurodam

9/7/14-12/5/14 Oosterdam

With apologies for copying and pasting (with small udpating edits) a previous post, this is the additional information I'd put together for the Jimmy Maddox thread:-

Update:-

• Eurodam: 23 May to 20 July 2014 (12-night Baltic x 4)
  • Oosterdam: 7 September to 5 December 2014 (7-night Alaska x 3, repositioning to Sydney, 14-night Australia/New Zealand x 3)
  • Nieuw Amsterdam: 4 January to 22 March 2015 (7-night alternating eastern/western Caribbean x 11)

Edited by Globaliser

Is there a piano bar on the Prinsendam? We love the piano bars!

There is not a piano bar on the Prinsendam, but there is a pianist nightly in the Crow's Nest. I never quite understood the difference between that and what RuthC calls "a proper piano bar", perhaps she will weigh in. I definitely preferred Debby Bacon (who only does grand voyages) to Derek Floyd, but beyond that I saw little difference.

mhurdle127 thank you for taking this on. While I would prefer having the list organized by ship you're doing the heavy lifting on this and if you do what works for you I'll be happy to have it. I like your clean reporting style; if I know who is on which ship on which date the itinerary is easy enough to get.

Thank you.

Roy

Is there a piano bar on the Prinsendam? We love the piano bars!

Sadly, no, the Prinsendam is the only HAL ship that doesn't have something that could be called a Piano Bar. There is a piano player at night in the Crow's Nest. It's a poor substitute as the atmosphere of a piano bar just isn't there, but it's the only "port in the storm", in a manner of speaking.

All the other ships have either The Mix, a Piano Lounge, or a Piano Bar.

I never quite understood the difference between that and what RuthC calls "a proper piano bar", perhaps she will weigh in.

We were typing at the same time, Roy. Since you raised the point about the difference on the Prinsendam, I'll elaborate. It's the atmosphere created by the configuration of the room.

In a "proper piano bar" the focus is on the piano player, with the seats arranged so the passengers face the musician. They can chat a little back and forth, and with each other. The seating creates a group, all of whom are there for the same reason.

In the Crow's Nest, the piano player sits there with his/her back to at least half the group. The set-up is more for background music. The very few seats that are close to the piano have those sitting there facing away from the musician, or have the piano totally in the way on port side.

On my first cruise on the Prinsendam, the musician used to refer to the room as "the library" as most of the people sitting there were reading.

Not at all the same atmosphere as a "proper piano bar"!

SoloCanadian,

Who was on the Oosterdam when you sailed?

Lawrence (Larry) Steele. Out of 10 he thought he was a 12 - I'd give him a 6 or 7 at best. He fancied himself an Elton John impersonator - I think NOT..He sure was no Joel Mason. Think he's on the "O" until Sept. at end of Alaska season.

I have a serious Piano Bar question to those of you who seem to enjoy the entertainment there. In all of my HAL cruises, we have never actually been inside the Piano Bar. I've stood outside the door and listened for awhile, but never gone inside because there are never any open seats. How do you assure that if your favorite "piano man" is on your cruise that you actually get to "see" him or her?

How do you assure that if your favorite "piano man" is on your cruise that you actually get to "see" him or her?

Usually the Piano Bar is open from 9:00-midnight. There's a few ways to get a seat:

If you go to the first show you should take a seat reasonably near the exit, and when the show is over hotfoot it to the Piano Bar.

Head in a few minutes before 10:00 when some people are leaving the Piano Bar to go to the second show.

Go after the second show when many people are heading off to bed. By 11:00 it has usually calmed down a lot, and by 11:30 you can get prime seating.

If there are no seats when you do go in, stand for a few minutes. Many times a seat will open up soon.

I have a serious Piano Bar question to those of you who seem to enjoy the entertainment there. In all of my HAL cruises, we have never actually been inside the Piano Bar. I've stood outside the door and listened for awhile, but never gone inside because there are never any open seats. How do you assure that if your favorite "piano man" is on your cruise that you actually get to "see" him or her?

If he is very popular get to the Piano Bar at least 10 minutes before he goes on duty. Usually then you can get a seat right at the piano.

Dan