Sea plane crash in 2015 - NTSB Report is Out

Source: KomoNews.Com 5:47PM PST (My apologies, just now saw another post on this.)

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - A small float plane carrying eight Holland America cruise ship passengers and a pilot crashed about 20 miles outside of Ketchikan, Alaska.

The U.S. Coast Guard says the plane has been discovered on a cliff-side near Ella Lake after it was reported missing Thursday afternoon.

The Alaska Dispatch News reports a medical team has been sent out but the condition of the plane and its occupants isn't immediately known. Coast Guard Petty Officer 1st Class Kelly Parker the agency was launching a helicopter from Sitka and a rescue vessel from Ketchikan.

The passengers were from the ms Westerdam and were on a sightseeing tour run by Promech Air while the ship was docked in Ketchikan, according to a statement from Holland America Cruise Lines.

"We are incredibly distressed by this situation, and our thoughts and prayers are with those on board the plane and their families," the company wrote in the statement. "Holland America Line is extending its full support to traveling companions of the guests involved."

The Westerdam is based in Seattle during the summer and does week-long round-trip cruises to Alaska, according to the company's web site. The current cruise had left Seattle on June 20.

The ship had been scheduled to leave Ketchikan at 1 p.m. but marine tracking web sites show the ship remains in port.

Edited by qsuzi

Source: KomoNews.Com 5:47PM PST (My apologies, just now saw another post on this.)

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - A small float plane carrying eight Holland America cruise ship passengers and a pilot crashed about 20 miles outside of Ketchikan, Alaska.

The U.S. Coast Guard says the plane has been discovered on a cliff-side near Ella Lake after it was reported missing Thursday afternoon.

The Alaska Dispatch News reports a medical team has been sent out but the condition of the plane and its occupants isn't immediately known. Coast Guard Petty Officer 1st Class Kelly Parker the agency was launching a helicopter from Sitka and a rescue vessel from Ketchikan.

The passengers were from the ms Westerdam and were on a sightseeing tour run by Promech Air while the ship was docked in Ketchikan, according to a statement from Holland America Cruise Lines.

"We are incredibly distressed by this situation, and our thoughts and prayers are with those on board the plane and their families," the company wrote in the statement. "Holland America Line is extending its full support to traveling companions of the guests involved."

The Westerdam is based in Seattle during the summer and does week-long round-trip cruises to Alaska, according to the company's web site. The current cruise had left Seattle on June 20.

The ship had been scheduled to leave Ketchikan at 1 p.m. but marine tracking web sites show the ship remains in port.

No apologizes needed!

I saw this same artical and saw yours. So sad. I also read that there was 8 passengers from the ship on board the float plane. As of this time no knowledge

Of survivors. I pray for all!

Denise:)

Terrible news. Lets hope for the best for the passengers.

I wonder if this was the Misty Fjords excursion? Scary thought - we were on the Westerdam and took a seaplane excursion in Sept, 2013 on a rare beautiful day in Ketchikan. Only had 6 passengers on our seaplane, so it might be a different one.

Edited by DaveOKC

Where on Westerdam now holding In Ketchikan, British Columbia has been

Canceled . There's a somber mood through out the ship.

Praying for all family's involved

We are all praying for survivors and thinking of those on the ship and the crew how all must be feeling.

This is so sad, for the passengers on that plane, and everyone else back on the ship.

I can't imagine how others on that same shore excursion, just a different plane must feel.

I just got off the phone with my sister who is on the Noordam in Ketchikan. My brother-in-law was going to go on that same excursion to the Misty Fjord and was waiting for that plane to return. At the time, all he was told was that his excursion had been cancelled "because of the weather". Only later did he find out because the Captain of the Noordam came on the PA and announced the plane crash. The weather was very overcast with hard rain at times and a very low ceiling. Such a tragedy. I pray for good news. The Noordam has just pulled-out but the Westerdam could be there for a while....