HAL degraded us to the Denali Park Village.

donnadoll

Very upset. We are on the Noordam June 4 Northbound will be in Denali 2 nights, Jun12 and13. Have been really excited to stay in the Mckinley Chalet Resort. The brand new Denali Square. This was the big reason to book with HAL because HAL owns their hotels in Alaska. They are putting us up in a lower grade property 8 miles away!!! Don't know what I can do. We called, and since we booked with AAA...they called and have not heard back. This is just unacceptable. Can anyone co-miserate with me?

donnadoll,

I know nothing about the Alaska hotels. But, since you are using a AAA agent, work with them and encourage the agent to obtain the property that you expected. Having a good and experienced travel agent is one reason when there are "bumps" in the road such as yours. Good luck!

Yes downgraded...how embarassing...I can't take it back now..it's out there.
LOL

--------

I hope it works out as you hope. I thought the replacement property looked to have nice views but I understand wanting to be in the heart of activities. I wonder if your whole tour group might be assigned to the same place to facilitate the group transportation. Have you checked your roll call? That might affect your ability to switch.

May I ask how you know this?

We are on the same cruise and have not received any notification. We booked through a traditional TA. I will call her in the morning.

Have you completed online check in? The Docs tab has a place to print your boarding pass. The hotels are in the documents that come along with that

Yes downgraded...how embarassing...I can't take it back now..it's out there.

Please don't be embarrassed! It is impolite & against board rules for anyone to correct another posters use of words because someone does not approve of it's usage!

BTW Degrade is perfectly acceptable as it is a synonym for downgrade according to Dictionary.com!

Synonyms Expand

See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com

1. disgrace, dishonor, discredit. 2. abase, vitiate. 3. demote, depose, downgrade, lower, cashier, break. Unquote

Also suggest that you push your TA to get your original Hotel back..Did you check your roll call to see where others will be staying? Hope it works out for you..

Very upset. We are on the Noordam June 4 Northbound will be in Denali 2 nights, Jun12 and13. Have been really excited to stay in the Mckinley Chalet Resort. The brand new Denali Square. This was the big reason to book with HAL because HAL owns their hotels in Alaska. They are putting us up in a lower grade property 8 miles away!!! Don't know what I can do. We called, and since we booked with AAA...they called and have not heard back. This is just unacceptable. Can anyone co-miserate with me?

Yet another reason not do to a CruiseTour especially in AK. If I do a DIY, I and not the cruise line control my own arrangements.

DON

Yet another reason not do to a CruiseTour especially in AK. If I do a DIY, I and not the cruise line control my own arrangements.

DON

That has been my experience too. Saved huge amounts of money by renting a car in Seward and arranging stops and tours that suit me, not 60 people on a bus.

Keep in mind that cruise line tour prices are per person.....your own arrangements are two-for-1, at least.

I wish people would have suggestions or even just sympathies. What good does it do to tell the OP that she should have done a DIY tour. I'm doing the HAL tour and got one of 3 hotels changed as well.

I believe, Sail, that they don't guarantee a specific hotel. They use various properties when needed.

Please don't be embarrassed! It is impolite & against board rules for anyone to correct another posters use of words because someone does not approve of it's usage!

BTW Degrade is perfectly acceptable as it is a synonym for downgrade according to Dictionary.com!

Synonyms Expand

See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com

1. disgrace, dishonor, discredit. 2. abase, vitiate. 3. demote, depose, downgrade, lower, cashier, break. Unquote

Also suggest that you push your TA to get your original Hotel back..Did you check your roll call to see where others will be staying? Hope it works out for you..

Thank You ..our travel agent was able to get us booked at the McKinley. I will check the roll calls...evidently our whole tour group was booked at the Denali Park Village. We are very Happy Campers!!!

What reason did HAl give you or your TA for the hotel change?

They put our Tour group in the other hotel, 8 miles away. I assume the tour group are thoses who have the same 4 day land package as we do. I have no idea why this tour group was put in the Denali Village Park?? We are in Denali for 2 nights.

I wish people would have suggestions or even just sympathies. What good does it do to tell the OP that she should have done a DIY tour. I'm doing the HAL tour and got one of 3 hotels changed as well.

I believe, Sail, that they don't guarantee a specific hotel. They use various properties when n.... Thank you. thagtg helps me understand how it happened

Very early in our crusing days, we sometimes stayed in HAL hotel. I seem to recall they offered a few. one wa s moer pricey than another and they always put us into the one we chose For the most part, it was okay but we quickly switched to making our own plans. I Know we would have been displeased to have been booked into one we did not choos.. I suppose most people likely would not be happy.

it's always good when we learn HAL corrects a mis-step. Better it doesn't happen but so b e it.

The advice about DIY touring may not have helped the OP, but there are many others reading posts on the Alaska board who could benefit from the information.

OP, you did good!

Cruise tour packages can be more economical than booking a DIY adventure. When we took our cruise tour, I was grateful for having everything arranged for us. We even enjoyed some of the things a lot that I wouldn't have done on our own--the riverboat cruise and gold dredge tours in Fairbanks. In the end, we saved a lot of money (but I did not book our cruise tour until after the final payment date and paid a lot less than full price).

[quote name=sail7seas;52870472

Very early in our crusing days' date=' we sometimes stayed in HAL hotel. I seem to recall they offered a few. one wa s moer pricey than another and they always put us into the one we chose For the most part, it was okay but we quickly switched to making our own plans. I Know we would have been displeased to have been booked into one we did not choos.. I suppose most people likely would not be happy.

it's always good when we learn HAL corrects a mis-step. Better it doesn't happen but so b e it.[/quote]

On the Land & Sea in Alaska, we buy the tour, and they assign the hotels. There was no chance to make any choices. When Disney used to do a Land&Sea the rooms on land did correspond to the cabin category onboard. Suites went to Grand Floridian, verandas to the deluxe properties, inside cabins to the All Stars. We kind of thought that would be the case on HAL's Alaskan trip as well; not specific hotels maybe upgraded rooms, but it's just luck of the draw. They do offer the extra nights like you mentioned but they were more than booking on our own.

I'm so glad Donnadoll got changed to the hotel she expected.

What property are they putting you up in that is 8 miles away? I have been there a number of times and McKinley Chalet is in Denali Village. The cabins are closer to Denali Square then the Chalet. You are going to have a great time no matter which place you are in.