Short Anchorage time question & Sheraton location

alwaysfrantic

we get to the city about 5 pm and are staying at the Sheraton. I plan to eat at Glacier Brewhouse. Doubt anything but drinks& dinner unless you have other things I ought to consider. Also, the busses to the train station begin at 11:30 am the next morning. What should I consider in the short window. Do stores and town places open before 10 on a Sunday? Is it just time for a breakfast and not much else?

I had expected to stay in a different hotel and the Brewhouse was right there. Looking at the map the Sheraton appears about a mile away. Is this a walkable area, sights to see along the way?

The walk isn't really scenic... Just shops, the mall and the conference center. Should be safe to walk. There'll be homeless people around, but they usually aren't a problem.

For breakfast: if you like eggs Benedict, go to the F Street Station.

we get to the city about 5 pm and are staying at the Sheraton. I plan to eat at Glacier Brewhouse. Doubt anything but drinks& dinner unless you have other things I ought to consider. Also, the busses to the train station begin at 11:30 am the next morning. What should I consider in the short window. Do stores and town places open before 10 on a Sunday? Is it just time for a breakfast and not much else?

I had expected to stay in a different hotel and the Brewhouse was right there. Looking at the map the Sheraton appears about a mile away. Is this a walkable area, sights to see along the way?

I would highly recommend you make reservations at Glacier Brewhouse, because, summer we are hit hard, and, if you don't have a reservation (have even had to wait sometimes with a reservation in the summer), who knows how long you will have to wait, if you don't have one! You can reserve through Open Table with them https://glacierbrewhouse.com/

As AkStafford stated it won't be an exciting walk, but, it's a straight shot down 5th Avenue.

Not sure about Sunday hours, but, the Sheraton is not down by anything. You could check hours on some shops as you walk by them on the way to Glacier Brewhouse, the previous night!

Susan in Anchorage :)

This illustrated map of Downtown Anchorage from Alaska.org shows locations of some hotels ( incl the Sheraton) some restaurants ( incl the Brewhouse) and points in between,

http://www.alaska.org/maps/city-maps

Stop by the Visitor Center on 5th for a photo op ..... its a log cabin with a sod roof, surrounded by beautiful flowers.

https://www.anchorage.net/plan-your-trip/visit-anchorage-information-centers/

There's an outdoor weekend market over on 3rd Ave that might interest you. Might find some reindeer sausage for lunch. It's location is also on the map. There's also a salmon viewing spot, kinda nr the railroad station which could be interesting if you're there during a run.

This illustrated map of Downtown Anchorage from Alaska.org shows locations of some hotels ( incl the Sheraton) some restaurants ( incl the Brewhouse) and points in between,

http://www.alaska.org/maps/city-maps

Stop by the Visitor Center on 5th for a photo op ..... its a log cabin with a sod roof, surrounded by beautiful flowers.

https://www.anchorage.net/plan-your-trip/visit-anchorage-information-centers/

There's an outdoor weekend market over on 3rd Ave that might interest you. Might find some reindeer sausage for lunch. It's location is also on the map. There's also a salmon viewing spot, kinda nr the railroad station which could be interesting if you're there during a run.

The Log Cabin Visitor Center is on 4th Avenue. So, 4th Avenue and F Street!

The Weekend Market will open at 10 on Sunday.

Would you prefer Glacier Brewhouse over Humpy's Alaskan Alehouse??

Both are good, but, Humpy's doesn't take reservations. And, with the number of tourists we have downtown during summer, you may have to wait a while to get into Humpy's, or, chose to go at an odd hour, which may help too!

Hi Mapleleaves, this market does look really interesting! I tried to look up more info about it online, but it didn't list hours. Do you know when it usually runs until on Sundays? We arrive around noon, and it sounds like it might be the perfect place to stretch our legs, walk around and get some lunch after our long flights. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Mapleleaves, this market does look really interesting! I tried to look up more info about it online, but it didn't list hours. Do you know when it usually runs until on Sundays? We arrive around noon, and it sounds like it might be the perfect place to stretch our legs, walk around and get some lunch after our long flights. Thank you!

They will be open 10 to 5 on Sundays, and, 10 to 6 on Saturdays, and, it's open from May 13 to September 10, 2017 -- http://anchoragemarkets.com/anchorage-market-festival/

There is usually a few stands that do food at the beginning of the market, but, you'll find most on the last aisle of the parking lot!

They will be open 10 to 5 on Sundays, and, 10 to 6 on Saturdays, and, it's open from May 13 to September 10, 2017 -- http://anchoragemarkets.com/anchorage-market-festival/

I love markets! I wish we were going to be there over a weekend but only there Monday-Friday after our cruise :( Guess we'll have to make another trip! :)

There is usually a few stands that do food at the beginning of the market, but, you'll find most on the last aisle of the parking lot!

Thank you, Susan. Wonderful timing! I can't wait to check it out this summer.

I love markets! I wish we were going to be there over a weekend but only there Monday-Friday after our cruise :( Guess we'll have to make another trip! :)

We always love when people come back. Now if I can only convince a lot of my relatives, that I don't have to be a once in a life time trip! :D

Thank you, Susan. Wonderful timing! I can't wait to check it out this summer.

You're welcome. The market only started out as a Saturday Market, but, now covers both days.