Shorts in dining room 1st night

tommy

Alright just off b2b on the Eurodam,Shorts are ok on 1st night.There were many.Especially on the 2nd week.After 1st night we did see some people make it in with shorts.But if person seating them saw it they asked them to change.The dressing on Holland is no were near as formal as it use to be,but that seems to be true on all the cruise lines.We had a great time any questions feel free to ask.

Tom

Alright just off b2b on the Eurodam,Shorts are ok on 1st night.There were many.Especially on the 2nd week.After 1st night we did see some people make it in with shorts.But if person seating them saw it they asked them to change.The dressing on Holland is no were near as formal as it use to be,but that seems to be true on all the cruise lines.We had a great time any questions feel free to ask.

Tom

Somewhat ambiguous. Are you saying that some passengers reported others wearing shorts to the cruise line and then the cruise line asked those passengers to leave? Or, are you saying that some passengers approached other passengers wearing shorts and asked them to leave?

Somewhat ambiguous. Are you saying that some passengers reported others wearing shorts to the cruise line and then the cruise line asked those passengers to leave? Or, are you saying that some passengers approached other passengers wearing shorts and asked them to leave?

Just as I said the person seating them[assigns table,cruiseline personnel] would ask them to change.Simple enough?

Tom

We go to the Canaletto on the first night because we're usually travel-weary and don't want to dress for dinner. We get superb service, and with it's Lido location, it's very casual.

I'm one of those who feel that as long as there is a very casual alternative, i.e., the Lido, the MDR dress code should be strictly enforced every night. I've wondered if the same people who seem to want to push the dress-code envelope are the same folks who complain that the MDR isn't fine dining anymore?

We are not fans of open-seating dining (Anytime, As-You-Wish, etc). We always travel with family or close friends, so we reserve with the ship's coordinator, well in advance of the cruise, a specific table in fixed dining, which is printed on our key cards. I'm not sure about this, but if you don't show up for a reserved table in fixed dining on the first night, you may lose that reservation. Especially if it's a 2-top, which are few and far between. We even advise our waiter and matre'd if we will miss dining due to Pinnacle or Canaletto. And in all our cruises, I can't remember a time when our luggage wasn't in our cabin in time for the muster drill.

On the Nieuw Amsterdam this past week, I saw people wearing shorts to the MDR the first night. After that' I didn’t look, but I did ask dinning room manager and he said they try to encourage them to go back and change, but either hear they didn’t bring pants, luggage didn’t arrive or they refuse to change in which case they don’t argue with them. Dress codes need to be enforced or there’s no need to have them.

We are not fans of open-seating dining (Anytime, As-You-Wish, etc). We always travel with family or close friends, so we reserve with the ship's coordinator, well in advance of the cruise, a specific table in fixed dining, which is printed on our key cards. I'm not sure about this, but if you don't show up for a reserved table in fixed dining on the first night, you may lose that reservation. Especially if it's a 2-top, which are few and far between. We even advise our waiter and matre'd if we will miss dining due to Pinnacle or Canaletto. And in all our cruises, I can't remember a time when our luggage wasn't in our cabin in time for the muster drill.

No problem. Pack a pair of long pants and a clean top in your carry on bag. If your checked luggage is not delivered, you will have long pants to wear to dinner. :) Proper prior planning provides fo r s s imple needs. :) A pair of folded pants can fit in almost any tote bag inc luding the ones HAL give us. There is always the option to w ear long pants to board the ship. My suitcase was not delivered to my my cabin " , is really a weak, lame excuse for showing up to dinner in MDR wearing shorts.

TAD, two top tables on most HAL ships are not few and far between :)

Edited by sail7seas

Maybe I am simply an “ old school” person, but there are certain things that I cannot leave behind in this new age day. While my days of wearing suits have been left behind, mostly due to the fact that they no longer fit, I still wear coat and tie to weddings, church and to funerals. Fine dining for the most part is now collared shirt and wool slacks with coat and tie if the occasion calls for it.

While cruises no longer require men to wear coat and tie in the MDR, I fail to see where shorts are ever appropriate for either men or women. Someone on another thread complained because no one told her that shorts were not appropriate especially for a Gala night and he did wear a pair of “ dress Bermuda shorts “. While my better half has already informed me that my current crop of cargo shorts might not make the trip and I am in need of new shorts, I am struggling with the concept of dress shorts. I have a couple of pairs of Bermuda shorts, but I would never consider them to be dress. Having just watched “ The Crown”, maybe the Royal Navy dress white shorts might qualify.

Just my two cents.

Maury

Or PERHAPS, Bermud shorts as worn in Bermud by businssmen with ther5i knee socks, a blazer and tie. ;) Other than that, I have no image of any garment I would call 'dress shorts for gentlemen. :)

Edited by sail7seas

The most recent season of the Crown took place more than 50 years ago. Times change.

As I said on another thread, The wishfulness for the "good old days" is a comforting thing for some people.

Clearly the comments about things being like the Crown, Downton Abbey, etc. are people who watch too many of those shows. No comfort,they just have a hard time believing that it's 2017(almost 2018)

As I said on another thread, The wishfulness for the "good old days" is a comforting thing for some people.

If you have been to Bermuda recently you would have seen the same style Bermuda shorts, blazers and ties sitill being worn. That t makes it the 'current good days.' :) Not the good old days..

I hope you are lucky enough to grow old and will enjoy your 'good old days'. Not everyone is that lucky. I wish all here that luck.

Clearly the comments about things being like the Crown, Downton Abbey, etc. are people who watch too many of those shows. No comfort,they just have a hard time believing that it's 2017(almost 2018)

I'm actually speaking of July, 2017. :)

I hoped that was your meaning but I wondered how the person seating them could not help but notice they were wearing shorts.

Crowded Dining room they did miss a few,2 or 3 in a week on our 2nd week.

2- tops are no longer hard to get,they were easy to get on our cruise

Thanks Tommy for the update. As for rules being enforced. No matter where you go there will always be someone not following a rule and management not holding their ground.

No pets in store

No towels on your balcony railing (resort)

No smoking within 20 feet of door

No glass at the pool

Or PERHAPS, Bermud shorts as worn in Bermud by businssmen with ther5i knee socks, a blazer and tie. ;) Other than that, I have no image of any garment I would call 'dress shorts for gentlemen. :)

Then you are living in a time warp. Go to Macy's and tell them you'd like a pair of dressier shorts for men. No problem as there is much to choose from.

Then you are living in a time warp. Go to Macy's and tell them you'd like a pair of dressier shorts for men. No problem as there is much to choose from.

Yup. What I see is a lot of people trying to push their opinions on others.Typical for a dress code thread.:rolleyes:

Does it really matter?

Who on earth stays up at night worrying about something like this.....or even giving it a seconds passing thought.

Why sweat the small stuff? And in the overall scheme of things this is not even small, it is minute. IMHO, you would be lucky to find 10 people on a 1200 passenger ship who care about it.