What has happened to the quality of the on board activities / shipboard experience

BCEagle78

I have sailed on Holland America 11 times and always enjoyed the experience. I have also sailed on several other cruise lines. When I sailed on Koningsdam in October on an 11 day Eastern Caribbean itinerary, we brought along with us some people who were sailing on HAL for the first time but who also have sailed on other cruise lines a number of times. The big difference that we had with this recent cruise was the experience onboard seemed to feel quite different. A couple of examples: We often would sit in the pool area and were accustomed to having at least some live music to help enjoy the afternoon. There was no music of any time, not even recorded music near the pool. We also were looking forward to some sea day activities to help us enjoy the the leisurely time spent when at sea. The activities listed were quite limited and in many cases included a small upcharge to participate. We felt that if we wanted to do something fun that we were being nickeled and dimed. I don't remember this being the case the last time that we sailed on HAL. We sailed on Princess (March 2017) and found they had lots of fun things on the schedule.

Did we just happen to sail on an exceptionally dull cruise or have things changed that much on HAL? This is important as we are about to book our next cruise and the group that we are sailing with are using this experience to steer clear of HAL, even though HAL has the best itinerary...

HAL's itineraries and crew remain its strongest points. Food and cabin layouts also very good. We continue to find HAL works best for the more "self-contained" passenger. Yes there have been changes, yes the feel of the ships has changed. But if one continues to take HAL ships more for transportation than onboard entertainment, they still remain a high value cruise option.

HAL's itineraries and crew remain its strongest points. Food and cabin layouts also very good. We continue to find HAL works best for the more "self-contained" passenger. Yes there have been changes, yes the feel of the ships has changed. But if one continues to take HAL ships more for transportation than onboard entertainment, they still remain a high value cruise option.

Agree. We found that, as well. I love to read and walk a lot. That's basically enough to keep me happy. Sometimes the music by the pool, particularly piped in, was annoying. I didn't miss it on our last cruise.

Things have changed in regard to the types of activities and music you posted, and I have noticed the same. HAL, while never known for a lot of activities, has pared back to the point where it really feels too sparse.

Devoted HAL fans will say HAL is not the line for those who "need" to be entertained. But I'm not even comparing HAL to other lines, just to what they once offered. I'm not looking for waveboarding or glass shows, just the occasional onboard enrichment lecture that used to be something to count on....!

I think they are never going to ask in the survey "Do you miss the enrichment/activities we used to have?" - so we must remember to make a remark about it when we can. Just like we have to remember to say that we appreciate having a priest on board.

How about if we commednt i would be nice to hve some cruise staff aboard?

I am truly a 'self-entertainer, but there are limits. I can sit quieely alone in the sun in my lovely yard, My last cruises with HAL they offere just about nothing on sea days.

I am a very frequent traveler on HAL and have also noticed the lack of lido pool side live entertainment on sea days. I have made mention of this in my survey comments to HAL after returning from cruises. I also found that sometimes, the lido pool staff forgets to turn on the recorded music. Steel drum players use to hold guest lessons back on the sea view pool area. There also use to be ice sculpturing by the lido pool. The librarian has also disappeared, thus there isn't any one to help when there is an issue with their wonderful internet ! Maybe, soon we will have to cook our own meals and make our own beds on board (ha - ha).

I think they are just bringing anyone extra on board that they may have to pay! (Daytime speakers, etc.) There is sometimes a Captain's Q&A and some talks about the ports, but on the whole, nothing more.

We've found that there is considerably less in the way of activities (at least those without an upcharge) on HAL than there is on, say, Princess. We're very capable of entertaining ourselves - we're keen readers and do our cardio morning and afternoon - but it can feel quite dull on HAL, particularly on at sea days.

They added a lot of "educational health talks" to the daily schedule, but they are just sales pitches for their spa staff. Big on acupuncture, teeth whitening, herbals, tongue analysis and supplements. No, this is no the "lifestyle" direction I like seeing HAL go, but maybe it sells to someone.

Yes, bring back more enrichment lectures pertinent to locations on the shorter cruises and general interest on the longer ones. My one big question, did they think we would not notice? I wish HAL would become more like an Elderhostel (RoadScholars) at Sea myself and just forget all the other frou frou. I wonder how that would cost out and if this overall limited niche is even viable for maybe its smaller ships?

I also remember there were plenty of complaints about the former live music group HalCats being way too loud at the Lido pool side - so whatcha gonna do?

On my South America/Antarctica cruise aboard the Zaandam, there were excellent and well attended enrichment powerpoint presentations by a Biologist, a Geologist, and a Social Scientist. Opportunities to speak individually with them were available after every presentation on the lower level of the Atrium. In the Crow's Nest in the Captain's Corner area, a mock Antarctic camp site was created with many maps and books related to our journey. Informative narration was given over the PA by these three people along with the ship's ECX Guide when we were sailing in particularly scenic areas. HAL can provide valuable onboard programs for its guests. Maybe the itinerary and the anticipated guest "type" is what determines what the program will be.

I think a lot can depend on the ship and itinerary.

If it's a 7 day cruise, can't comment.

But on our Rotterdam cruise, there was still music played at the Retreat bar (I like the views at the aft area). There were certainly some daytime activities for those that chose to do them. And a bit (not a lot) of activity at the Lido pool.

On our Westerdam cruise (Hawaii, Tahiti, Marquesas) there was a multitude of activities at the Lido. Everything from games to ice sculpting, hula dancing etc. It was pretty well non stop.

We'll see what our upcoming Prinsendam cruise holds but I haven't been on a cruise yet where there wasn't some background music playing.

I think YMMV depending on the ship, itinerary and number of days at sea and the crew to passenger ratio. There is definitely a difference on that on some ships compared to others IMO.

I think a lot can depend on the ship and itinerary...............

.........I think YMMV depending on the ship, itinerary and number of days at sea and the crew to passenger ratio. There is definitely a difference on that on some ships compared to others IMO.

Yes, I would agree with Kazu's observations and conclusions, which I have excerpted above in my quote. Factors such as the itinerary, length of cruise, and type of cruise (think "Grand Voyages" and "World Voyages" versus the standard cruises) all make a difference. Alaska cruises, although they are usually 7-day itineraries, also have more destination-focused activities onboard. I think the new EXC "In-Depth Voyages", debuting this year, will be more destination oriented, and provide more enrichment.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/pageByName/Resp.action?requestPage=EXC_InDepth&showHeader=true&showFooter=true

I am aware that HAL only offers enrichment NOW on longer cruises (more than 2 weeks), but that's not always been the case.

It doesn't seem fair at all and also is fairly short-sighted on HAL's part. Those on shorter cruises are paying the same per-diem or more as those on longer cruises, yet getting less value.

I cannot take longer cruises at my age, as I'm still working. But it seems like I am the cruiser HAL is trying to attract for the future -- if I decide HAL isn't for me now, will they get me back when I have the time to take 30-day cruises? :confused:

I am aware that HAL only offers enrichment NOW on longer cruises (more than 2 weeks), but that's not always been the case.

It doesn't seem fair at all and also is fairly short-sighted on HAL's part. Those on shorter cruises are paying the same per-diem or more as those on longer cruises, yet getting less value.

I cannot take longer cruises at my age, as I'm still working. But it seems like I am the cruiser HAL is trying to attract for the future -- if I decide HAL isn't for me now, will they get me back when I have the time to take 30-day cruises? :confused:

What is really lousy is selling "28 day Collector Cruises" but treating them like the now bare-bones 14 day cruises - except there are two of them back to back.

We did a great 28 Day cruise of 14 days in Scotland and Norway along with 14 days in the Baltic - the whole sweep of the old Hanseatic League cities. - it even had its own combined cruise name. Yet, there were no specialty enrichment lectures, since it was seen by HAL as only two 14 day cruises. Huge disappointment for such a rich, historic area. We know better now.

Yes the past longer, specialty theme cruises we have been on have had a full array of enrichment offerings, but those were 50 day cruises. And the full South America trip was also good. But the 28 day segmented "Collector Cruises" no longer count as long, enrichment lecture cruises.

I did find on my most recent cruise, a lack of activities and particulary ones my traveling party was excited about doing. My husband loved the steel drum band at lunch in the Lido and really enjoyed the opportunity on the previous cruise for lessons. I really missed the "Swim the Panama Canal" activity in the Lido & Aft pools. Yes, it's silly and touristy, but I was really looking forward to it and really wanted the t-shirt that read "I Swam the Panama Canal!"

Other activities were few and far between on my most recent cruise. There were Trivia and Culinary Arts Center presentations, but not really anything else -- no fun cruise ship games or activities, and nothing in terms of informational/educational lectures or discussions. There weren't even all that many "informative" sales presentations at the shops.

I was disappointed about the lack of activities, but I figured the lack of ship-based activities was partly due to the fact that I was on a cruise with a large group that provided their own entertainment and took over several of the public spaces during the days where the usual cruise activities would normally be held. Come to think of it, I didn't even hear or see any information for Bingo! It was a boring cruise as far as ship-planned/co-ordinated entertainment/activities.

I am getting ready to depart on my very first cruise, and it happens to be on HAL. I am nervous & disappointed to read these kinds of posts. I was looking forward to being on a smaller ship, less intimidating :)

Here is a question for you more frequent cruisers - where you have cruised other than HAL - what other lines & why?

I am getting ready to depart on my very first cruise, and it happens to be on HAL. I am nervous & disappointed to read these kinds of posts. I was looking forward to being on a smaller ship, less intimidating :)

Here is a question for you more frequent cruisers - where you have cruised other than HAL - what other lines & why?

Let's see if this helps, I have cruised two now defunct cruise lines, Princess, Celebrity, Oceania and NCL and I still prefer HAL so far ;).

What is really lousy is selling "28 day Collector Cruises" but treating them like the now bare-bones 14 day cruises - except there are two of them back to back.

We did a great 28 Day cruise of 14 days in Scotland and Norway along with 14 days in the Baltic - the whole sweep of the old Hanseatic League cities. - it even had its own combined cruise name. Yet, there were no specialty enrichment lectures, since it was seen by HAL as only two 14 day cruises. Huge disappointment for such a rich, historic area. We know better now.

Yes the past longer, specialty theme cruises we have been on have had a full array of enrichment offerings, but those were 50 day cruises. And the full South America trip was also good. But the 28 day segmented "Collector Cruises" no longer count as long, enrichment lecture cruises.

Our Rotterdam cruise last March - May was basically 30 days with 2 B2B's.

Our lecturers were fabulous. You had to get there early as the show room was packed.

So, I guess so far I haven't found that to be the case and with the sea days coming on the P'dam, I don't expect it and it had better not be.

What I have found is that IME only, the smaller ships seem to offer the better enrichment programmes in lecturers.

We'll soon see in May if my experience comes true or not.

We have cruised other lines - too much fuss on Crystal for our tastes, and the no-frills Voyages of Discovery high enrichment cruise ship went bankrupt. So we continue to choose HAL for our Goldilock's just right compromise - smaller ships -- and their longer itineraries, for the reasons previously stated - wonderful crews, nice cabin layouts, traditional if occasionally fusty design, good food, quiet, sedate atmosphere, great itineraries and good value for the price.

We like their old traditional layout, great libraries and interesting enrichment offerings. Those are now passing into the mists of time for many of us. You may not miss or even expect them. Some of the decor refurbishments look great and most of the basics of a good passenger ship are still there.

Everyone cruises for different reasons. You don't need to be nervous or disappointed about your up coming cruise - the smaller ships are not intimidating, and if you love your chosen itinerary you have pretty good chance you will be a very happy customer. Inventory your expectations and let's deal with them more specifically. HAL is a unique brand and it may not be the right fit, but how can you know unless you start dipping your toes into the world of cruise line offerings.

Most likely it might make a difference between an 85 point cruise or a 90 point cruise among the several brand choices. Don't sweat the 5 point differences if price and itinerary are in the same ball park.

I really missed the "Swim the Panama Canal" activity in the Lido & Aft pools. Yes, it's silly and touristy, but I was really looking forward to it and really wanted the t-shirt that read "I Swam the Panama Canal!"

We recently did a full-transit Panama Canal cruise on Westerdam, and according to the When & Where, they did have Swim Across the Panama Canal on my sailing. I didn't do it though, so I have no idea if they were giving out T-shirts or not.

We also had bingo and lectures (about Real Caribbean Pirates, Rum Running, etc.) too, so maybe it was the group on your cruise that prevented HAL from providing entertainments to others.

As for music by the pool, we had some Mexican music in Mexican ports.

Our Rotterdam cruise last March - May was basically 30 days with 2 B2B's.

Our lecturers were fabulous. You had to get there early as the show room was packed.

So, I guess so far I haven't found that to be the case and with the sea days coming on the P'dam, I don't expect it and it had better not be.

What I have found is that IME only, the smaller ships seem to offer the better enrichment programmes in lecturers.

We'll soon see in May if my experience comes true or not.

Our 28 day"Collector Cruise was on the Zuiderdam which became two 14 day segments with little enrichment - I think you are right, the smaller ships still deliver more enrichment offerings if they offer these longer cruise packages. But the larger ships for 28 days start feeling more like bare bones cruise factories, than cruise ships. It was still a great cruise and the ports were wonderful so I would do it again, just was expecting the more typical longer cruise benefits. And those larger ships do offer our favorite cabin choice (SS) so all is not lost choosing them.

Agree. We found that, as well. I love to read and walk a lot. That's basically enough to keep me happy. Sometimes the music by the pool, particularly piped in, was annoying. I didn't miss it on our last cruise.

I also agree. I love everything about HAL. Taking my 18 grandson who is the same way. He is an 18 year old with mild aspergers and prefer it quiet

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have sailed on Holland America 11 times and always enjoyed the experience. I have also sailed on several other cruise lines. When I sailed on Koningsdam in October on an 11 day Eastern Caribbean itinerary, we brought along with us some people who were sailing on HAL for the first time but who also have sailed on other cruise lines a number of times. The big difference that we had with this recent cruise was the experience onboard seemed to feel quite different. A couple of examples: We often would sit in the pool area and were accustomed to having at least some live music to help enjoy the afternoon. There was no music of any time, not even recorded music near the pool. We also were looking forward to some sea day activities to help us enjoy the the leisurely time spent when at sea. The activities listed were quite limited and in many cases included a small upcharge to participate. We felt that if we wanted to do something fun that we were being nickeled and dimed. I don't remember this being the case the last time that we sailed on HAL. We sailed on Princess (March 2017) and found they had lots of fun things on the schedule.

Did we just happen to sail on an exceptionally dull cruise or have things changed that much on HAL? This is important as we are about to book our next cruise and the group that we are sailing with are using this experience to steer clear of HAL, even though HAL has the best itinerary...

You have sailed in present day circumstances. The "experience" is not how you remember it to be. It's totally been "dumbed down". It's the "NEW" cruising experience.