Seas The Day Promotion

DFWGUYZ

Who books under these restrictions? And do you feel like you're being strong-armed into purchasing HAL's insurance? Most know of better coverage at a substantial cost reduction buying insurance elsewhere.

Seas the Day Special Priced Promotion Information:

This is a special fare being offered for a limited time, with certain limitations that apply:

Promotion codes RA/QA: This specially priced promotion has a 100% non-refundable deposit

Promotion codes FL/QF/FC/QC/FJ/QJ receiving this notification have the following limitations:

• Payment must be made in full at the time of booking
  • Fares and deposits are 100% non-refundable from the point of payment unless you purchase one of our Cancellation Protection Plans at time of booking

Holland America Line’s Cancellation Protection Plan can help protect your vacation investment from loss. The Standard and Platinum Cancellation Protection Plans are optional purchases. Payment is due at time of purchase. The plan cost is non-refundable.

Who books under these restrictions? And do you feel like you're being strong-armed into purchasing HAL's insurance? Most know of better coverage at a substantial cost reduction buying insurance elsewhere.

This is a special fare being offered for a limited time, with certain limitations that apply:

Promotion codes RA/QA: This specially priced promotion has a 100% non-refundable deposit

Promotion codes FL/QF/FC/QC/FJ/QJ receiving this notification have the following limitations:

• Fares and deposits are 100% non-refundable from the point of payment unless you purchase one of our Cancellation Protection Plans at time of booking

Holland America Line’s Cancellation Protection Plan can help protect your vacation investment from loss. The Standard and Platinum Cancellation Protection Plans are optional purchases. Payment is due at time of purchase. The plan cost is non-refundable.

I do not understand this promotion at all. The Alaska cruise I booked for next year had this promotion. The price had gone up a lot. So what is the point????

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Some cynical part of me wonders if HAL is trying to show stronger-than-actual #s for the end of a quarter, or fiscal year-end. Nonrefundable deposits or fares -- that's income that could show as current income, isn't it, without an offsetting liability for refunds that may be issued, since the deposits/fares are nonrefundable?

Some cynical part of me wonders if HAL is trying to show stronger-than-actual #s for the end of a quarter, or fiscal year-end. Nonrefundable deposits or fares -- that's income that could show as current income, isn't it, without an offsetting liability for refunds that may be issued, since the deposits/fares are nonrefundable?

Humm...you may be onto something. Financial risk assessment is certianly into play here with bookings on the backs of people who are unaware of the details. Dare I say the word ethics? Although in the end it is "buyer beware".

We booked a cruise with it. The price was $600/pp less then with out the promotion. We book using our credit card which has $10,000 pp cancellation insurance (it’s not cancel for any reason). On that one booking it made sense, I checked a couple of other bookings and the price had gone up so we left those alone.

Humm...you may be onto something. Financial risk assessment is certianly into play here with bookings on the backs of people who are unaware of the details. Dare I say the word ethics? Although in the end it is "buyer beware".

Booking travel always has been "buyer beware," but it seems that lately there is more to beware of than there used to be. I've said this on other threads on this topic, so forgive me for repeating. The part of this I dislike is that HAL does have prices without this promo but you have to call and ask. I suspect a lot of people are booking the promo not knowing they have other options.

Who books under these restrictions? And do you feel like you're being strong-armed into purchasing HAL's insurance? Most know of better coverage at a substantial cost reduction

But Holland isn't forcing one to purchase THEIR insurance, although it looks like the threat is there, doesn't it? My advice to anyone booking through this promo is to purchase cancellation insurance from a reputable insurance company. Personally I like Allianz, and have had good luck with them when we had to cancel a cruise.

HAL did this last Fall after the Explore4 promotion expired. It lasted a couple of weeks until a new promotion came out. I expect this to happen again - being sort of a "place holder" deal between major promotions. Its a good way to confuse the public, making it harder to compare prices with and without promotions (unless you call your TA to ask for the base price without any deals).