staying in touch with other passengers via txt

Deenie33

I asked this question on another board but I am not getting any replies - I am trying again......I am trying to figure out if there is any mechanism in place for on board guests to be able to communicate with each other while at difference locations on board at sea. If I want to let my husband or friend know that I will meet them for lunch in the cafe at noon - I am at the pool and they are on the promenade shopping . . . how can I contact them?..... How can I simply find out "hey, where are you?" How do other people handle this? Let me be very concrete about this question...... I am looking for a way that does not cost an arm and a leg to communicate. If I understand correctly, I can use my phone to txt or whatsapp but charges will incur by using the ships wifi. Silly question but are there portable intercoms that ppl use ? I just down loaded the Firechat app to see if it works....I'll let you know

It depends on the cruise line. You can do it on Princess free of charge but there is no notification feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

LOL....I don't know what a notification feature is but I will take your word for it. Isent an email to Celebrity to both inquire and plead a case for allowing shipmate to stay intouch

LOL....I don't know what a notification feature is but I will take your word for it. Isent an email to Celebrity to both inquire and plead a case for allowing shipmate to stay intouch

Notification means the recipient hears a sound or feels the vibration whenever a text message is received. Just like an SMS text when on land. Without the notification, one needs to check every so often if a message has been received.

So how does the Carnival one work? I thought I read it was free but I don’t know.

Check out the Carnival Hub. I want to say when we cruised in February it was only like $5 per device. You can text (not always dependable) and you can look at deck plans, fun times, etc.

It worked nicely for our group.

Thanks everyone.....yes, some of the cruise lines have something in place for a nominal fee (or free). Celebrity is not one of them.

cb at sea....yes....making advanced plans is always the ticket....however you know what they say about the best laid plans. We have managed all these years w/o extra communication but there are extenuating circumstance from time to time and the extra communication would be a bonus. Basic planning communication is not the problem......change in plans and the flexibility to be able to do so without running all over the ship to track everyone down would just be nice. Especially when our group has grown from 4 to 6 to now 8 of us.....

And what major catastrophy would it be if you missed one meeting up? :D

OH MY GOODNESS - OH MY GOODNESS! it would be earth shaking. Have you not meet my friends????? They are so much fun to be with and I might miss a opportunity to laugh til I cry. And in this day and age....it's paramount to do as much laughing and enjoyable things as you can.

It’s about convenience. Some people pay for faster to fun, some people want other things. I think it’s nice to be able to text or communicate with my group. However if that’s not your thing then so be it. We each have our preferences but we all love to cruise.

• 6 months later...
I asked this question on another board but I am not getting any replies - I am trying again......I am trying to figure out if there is any mechanism in place for on board guests to be able to communicate with each other while at difference locations on board at sea. If I want to let my husband or friend know that I will meet them for lunch in the cafe at noon - I am at the pool and they are on the promenade shopping . . . how can I contact them?..... How can I simply find out "hey, where are you?" How do other people handle this? Let me be very concrete about this question...... I am looking for a way that does not cost an arm and a leg to communicate. If I understand correctly, I can use my phone to txt or whatsapp but charges will incur by using the ships wifi. Silly question but are there portable intercoms that ppl use ? I just down loaded the Firechat app to see if it works....I'll let you know

Did Firechat work?

Quote: Did Firechat work?

I posted this question about a year ago......I am surprised to see it resurface!

I never did find a suitable way to communicate with our group on board the ship. But I do believe that I remember that some of the cruise lines that I contacted said that they were working on it. I am not the only one who wants to make, keep or change plans without running all over the ship to find our friends or go back and forth to our room for messages). Ireally wish the cruise lines would come up with some mechanism without charging a fortune.

Personally I don't want to carry my phone around on the ship (I put a digital camera in my purse for taking photos that are better quality) and I know my hubby doesn't want to either. On our last cruise, we left notes on the door for us and our teen. Worked out fine. We had a traditional seating for dinner so we knew when to meet up at the cabin, and if we missed each other for lunch, no biggie.

Quote: Did Firechat work?

I posted this question about a year ago......I am surprised to see it resurface!

I never did find a suitable way to communicate with our group on board the ship. But I do believe that I remember that some of the cruise lines that I contacted said that they were working on it. I am not the only one who wants to make, keep or change plans without running all over the ship to find our friends or go back and forth to our room for messages). Ireally wish the cruise lines would come up with some mechanism without charging a fortune.

WOW - I resent a query to Celebrity last week concerning my request for a way for shipmates to communicate with each other......And I received a real, live phone call from Celebrity customer service person . . . .Unfortunately, he had to leave me a message as I was not available. But the message was detailed and positive. Apparently they are responding to the many ppl who have made the same request that I did a year ago and they are working on it. There are a few ships that have some mechanism in play . . . .but not the Reflection at this time. But he did reassure me that it was in the works. If I understood him correctly they are working on an app for all the activities and a way to communicate for ship mates. WAhoo!

One way is to use an internet based texting app such as WhatsApp, Facebook messenger, Google hangouts/voice, etc. This would require everyone to have an internet package though.

Ship wifi isnt really that expensive if you pre-purchase.

One way is to use an internet based texting app such as WhatsApp, Facebook messenger, Google hangouts/voice, etc. This would require everyone to have an internet package though.

Ship wifi isnt really that expensive if you pre-purchase.

"10 to 13 days costs $269 pre-purchased or $299 onboard"(from Celebrity web site) I consider that expensive.......especially since other cruise lines are now allowing ppl to stay in touch via txt for $5 per cruise....... or some other nominal fee. I'm not interested in an internet package for the entire cruise.....I simply want to make plans with my shipmates - again - without having to run all over the ship or back to my cabin to find (or not find) a note pinned to my door. I sure hope they continue to work on that aspect of cruising especially when you are with a group.

We designate a time and meeting place in advance of an activity.

+1. What we do is decide that if we don't see each other on the ship, we will meet at a specific time and place. No electronic. No complicated schemes. Just a designated meeting time.

What did people do before internet? Low tech works.

DON

Lenny....we do that also, of course....but every once in a while something comes up - real life steps in during my fantasy cruise - and plans need to be altered. Personally, I think it is just an enhancement and would add to the flow of being on vacation.