Questions about Carambola

mom2oneXY

Hello all! We'll be stopping in St. Kitts on out August cruise and I am 90% sure DH and I will be heading to Carambola Beach Club while grandma and grandpa keep DS on the ship. I searched, but couldn't find my specific questions and answers.

So - If we eat lunch at the club (I'm aware of the costs), do we have to sit in the restaurant or can we eat on the beach? If we have to eat in the restaurant, is bathing suit/cover up attire acceptable? If we can eat on the beach, do they bring it to you?

Also - Do they have beach waiters for bar drinks or do you have to order drinks at the restaurant?

Basically we're looking for a Nachi Cocum atmosphere (yes, we know Carambola isn't all inclusive like Nachi Cocum). We want to be beach bums, eat, and drink. Would Carambola fit the bill?

You go up to the restaurant and can order food there and sit on the beach if you'd like. If you sit in the restaurant, they want you to have a cover-up on. They do not bring you the food (at least they didn't us and the only people we seen on the beach were the guys that were collecting money for the chairs/umbrellas and playing "patrol" to those coming and trying to get a chair for free). We had to walk up for our drinks and food and wait for it there and bring it back. It's nothing like Nachi IMO.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your reply. You flipped our 90% to more like 10%. Now we're 90% sure we're headed to Discovery Beach Bar. Can anyone help out with the best way to get there? If we hop in a cab will they take us directly to Discovery? I think I've read somewhere that a driver wasn't sure when the person asked to be taken there.

Less than a month...super excited!

Thanks for your reply. You flipped our 90% to more like 10%. Now we're 90% sure we're headed to Discovery Beach Bar. Can anyone help out with the best way to get there? If we hop in a cab will they take us directly to Discovery? I think I've read somewhere that a driver wasn't sure when the person asked to be taken there.

Less than a month...super excited!

If you have a concern, contact Discovery on Facebook, make your booking and ask for them to arrange a taxi for you.

If a driver has a problem and don't know where it's located, just tell them next to Carambola and before Ship Wreck. If anything, they can always take you to Carambola and just walk out onto the beach and go left and head to shipwreck. It's not far at all and it will be the first (and only) beach you come to before getting to Ship Wreck. Can't miss it. :)

Thanks for the suggestions. I contacted Discovery, they directed me to Liz Pereira. Since it is just the two of us, she is suggesting a private transfer as she requires a minimum of 4 for transfer for $50 round trip with pick up drop off times set before hand. Anyone know the cost of a taxi from port to this area?

Taxi fares quoted are for the trip, with up to 4 passengers sharing the ride. The latest price I found is a charge of $16 US each way from the port to South Friars Beach. A suggestion would be that you have the same driver that drops you off returns for you at an agreed upon time.

Thanks for the suggestions. I contacted Discovery, they directed me to Liz Pereira. Since it is just the two of us, she is suggesting a private transfer as she requires a minimum of 4 for transfer for $50 round trip with pick up drop off times set before hand. Anyone know the cost of a taxi from port to this area?

While Liz seems to come highly recommended on the boards, I personally could NOT recommend her. We had one heck of a cluster flark the day we hired her (as a big group on our roll call) and it was a hot mess!

It would just be better to just get a taxi and pay a flat rate IMO.

• 4 weeks later...

I also can't recommend Liz Pereira and put a negative review in Trip Advisor for Discovery Beach Bar because of her. Just get your own taxi. Also be sure to "reserve" chicken wings at Discovery Beach Bar as soon as you get there for later in the day if you think you want them since he sells out.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
We were at Carmbola in January and the waiters were bringing food and drinks to people on the beach.

Carambola sounds like the way to go, however, tried to get more details to no avail.. Can you explain the process--Do you need reservations? If you show up without reservations is there an entrance fee or you just need to buy lunch and drinks and that covers the costs.

Is it any way like Paradise Beach in Cozumel, in that they charge you $3 per for the facilities with the understanding that you must spend a minimum of $10 per on food/drinks.

Carambola sounds like the way to go, however, tried to get more details to no avail.. Can you explain the process--Do you need reservations? If you show up without reservations is there an entrance fee or you just need to buy lunch and drinks and that covers the costs.

Is it any way like Paradise Beach in Cozumel, in that they charge you $3 per for the facilities with the understanding that you must spend a minimum of $10 per on food/drinks.

They do take reservations and the easiest way to get in touch with someone there is to email dsharpe@carambolabeachclub.com. She is usually quick to respond.

Chairs are $10 each to rent. Lunch and drinks are PAYG and extra. You do not have to buy food or drinks, but do have to pay for the chairs to rent.

They would like to know what time you planning on arriving and will only hold your chairs for 1 hour.

Hope that helps.

We caught a taxi when we got off the ship and it was inexpensive. He came back and got us at the time we requested. We rented the chairs when we got there. Food in the restaurant was great. Looking forward to going back in January.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They do take reservations and the easiest way to get in touch with someone there is to email dsharpe@carambolabeachclub.com. She is usually quick to respond.

Chairs are $10 each to rent. Lunch and drinks are PAYG and extra. You do not have to buy food or drinks, but do have to pay for the chairs to rent.

They would like to know what time you planning on arriving and will only hold your chairs for 1 hour.

Hope that helps.

Thanks. The Anthem OTS is docking at about 10AM and from the little info that I've gathered, Carambola opens at 11AM.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks. The Anthem OTS is docking at about 10AM and from the little info that I've gathered, Carambola opens at 11AM.

We had an 8 or 9am docking our last trip to Carambola. They said that they didn't open til 11am officially but we were welcome about 9:30 I believe. Advance reservations are nice, they will get you chairs closest to the water. If there are a lot of ships, it can get busy but it is very nice.

If you haven't heard back, I would email them again, it may have gotten lost in their in-box

• 1 month later...
Walk down the beach to Shipwreck way more fun.

Can you rent chairs there? We are in St Kitts on Christmas Day and Carambola is closed due to private party so looking for somewhere else to go.

Can you rent chairs there? We are in St Kitts on Christmas Day and Carambola is closed due to private party so looking for somewhere else to go.

Actually shoreexcursioneers.com does have a Xmas day excursion there and they say it is open for bookings and they are taking reservations. Very confusing as Carambola through FB says closed for private event. (?)

• 3 weeks later...
They do have chairs there. If you drink & eat they usually do not charge. There are restrooms, outdoor changing "rooms" and shower. Rustic but my favorite place on South Friars Beach

How is the beach at Shipwreck? I've been looking at some pictures online and it seems like the beach area is very, very small. The reviews rave about the food, drinks and prices. Also the sand appears to be dark. Any info you can provide is much appreciated.

The beach is rather narrow, at the most 2 loungers deep. It is wider now than before the hurricanes this Fall. The sand is dark as it is at most of the beaches on St Kitts, light tan to really dark. Volcanic in origin as opposed to coral.