Split this section based on area?

ArthurUSCG

I can see why you'd want that, but I disagree - there's already a California Coastal board which is dominated by SF posts; Alaska board gets used for many of the Seattle/Vancouver Qs, as that's where most of the cruises go to; West Coast Departures in theory is a board for ANY cruise that leaves a West Coast port, whether it's cruising the cali coast, up to Alaska, or elsewhere - so that's three boards that a cruise from, say, SF going to Alaska could legitimately have a question posted on. More possible boards = more confusion.

Some posters are already super-pedantic about simply replying 'OP should have posted on board X not board Y' already without answering a Q - another board adds to the possibilities for such behaviour which isn't very newbie-friendly. Personally I'd rather see a post on any one of the possible boards for a given cruise, but only one post, rather than blanket-bombing every applicable board with the same question.

In short, there's no setup of boards which is perfect for everyone, and by far the most productive thing you can do to make these boards work as efficiently as possible for you is to master the Search facility. I often find that the most useful info about any port is buried among individual Roll Call threads; many members with a really high post count almost never bother with the 'public' boards and focus entirely on the specific cruises they're taking.

it would help enormously if people would include the NAME OF THE PORT in the title.

Exactly. I don't think there's a need to split this board into any more areas...rather if those starting a thread just be a bit more descriptive with titling their threads. For example: "Hotels for Long Beach," "Recs for post-cruise Vancouver," etc. That way you can more easily see if there's a thread you want to read or may be applicable to your needs. "Need info" doesn't do it, especially if one doesn't put the pertinent info even in the text of the post Don't know how many threads have been started asking for info and the poster didn't put which cruise line, ship, embarkation port, airport they want info about.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

The hard thing about having it all together is getting a search to return the right things with lots of san ... items. I always try to search first so that I don't get one of those, "well if you search on ..." responses that irritate me.

The hard thing about having it all together is getting a search to return the right things with lots of san ... items. I always try to search first so that I don't get one of those, "well if you search on ..." responses that irritate me.

Then just use Francisco, Diego, Pedro, etc

They already have a main page that lists over 250 different individual forums:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/

Obviously, they should probably get rid of the entire section at the bottom of stuff like "Friends who cruised on the Mariner of the Seas on July 18, 2006" and others like that...threads that have been turned into their own little message boards due to 2 or 3 posters who should just exchange email addresses and write to each other directly.

But, even absent that, there are over 150 different forums. You could easily break most of them apart to dozens of sub-forums. An "Italy" forum? Sure, let's break it into separate forums: Rome, Naples, Sorrento, Venice, Amalfi, Catania, Livorno, Bari, Ravenna, La Spezia...Maybe break up the cruise line boards for separate forums on each and every ship? And, say you've broken up the West Coast board with individual forums for Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, etc., it would be a matter of time before someone wanted separate boards for "Fisherman's Wharf" and "Union Square" and SFO...and so on...

West Coast is specific enough for most people to find their answers. Yes, specifying the port or city in the heading each time would be great...or at least saying it in the body of the text. But you'll likely never stop the large number of clueless posters who don't--who just write a post saying "Cheap hotel. Can someone recommend a cheap hotel near the port?" Those folks are going to do things like that anyway...and, often, the precise forum wouldn't help--as, often, those people are on the wrong board anyway. I remember seeing a post like that once on the West Coast board and replying "which port?"...and the poster came back with "Galveston"!!!

I would agree with splitting this forum if it was busier and hard to navigate because of it. However since Friday (4 days ago) there are only 20 active posts and 41 active posts since Sept 16 (17 days ago). So it's not like you are dealing with pages of new posts and replies every day or even every week.

I do agree with making the title more specific instead of saying "Hotel advice" or "where can I buy alcohol."

Can we have this section split based on area or states? Information about LA or San Fran is not important to someone sailing out of Seattle or Vancouver.

splitting this into specific topics makes a lot of sense.