Scooter and planes

mamamzee

DH has a lightweight, three part scooter. We need advice for taking it on a plane. We have heard that they get torn up, damaged beyond repair, etc. Help!

A airline ground crew person told me that a mobility scooter is more likely to be damaged because the individual does not affix instructions as to how to place the scooter in freewheel. Ground Crew are not allowed to ride the scooter . I was advised to tape a 8" x 11" paper with the instruction clearly stated in large type. Every time I check in the airport the gate agents as well as the ground crew comment how they wish every did this.

I have a Pride GoGo Elite Traveler and the following is the note that gets attached:

INSTRCTIONS TO OPERATE SCOOTER IN FREEWHEEL MODE.

Name

flight number

destination airport

KEY HAS BEEN REMOVED BY OWNER

DO NOT FORCE PUSH OR PULL THE SCOOTER AS IT CAN DAMAGE THE MOTOR

PLACE SCOOTER IN FREEWHEEL MODE BY PUSHING YELLOW LEVER UNDER THE SEAT ON THE REAR WHEEL SECTION FORWARD TO THE "UNLOCKED" POSTION

AFTER STOWING IN THE CARGO HAUL PULL THE YELLOW LEVER UNDER THE SEAT ON THE REAR WHEEL SECTION BACK TO THE "ULOCKED" POSTION"

THE ABOVE INSTRUCTIONS SHOULD BE DONE IN REVERSE WHEN REMOVING THE SCOOTER FROM THE CARGO HAUL. ONCE DELIVERED TO THE JETWAY PLACE THE YELLOW LEVER BACK TO THE "LOCKED" POSITION'

I agree with xxoocruiser (then again, I've never known him to be wrong about anything!). I would say, though, that "heard" is often code for someone told someone who told someone who told someone who told you. I would hazard a guess that someone tried to check their scooter rather than gate check it and it was torn up (not that it couldn't happen gate-checked as well).

A airline ground crew person told me that a mobility scooter is more likely to be damaged because the individual does not affix instructions as to how to place the scooter in freewheel. Ground Crew are not allowed to ride the scooter . I was advised to tape a 8" x 11" paper with the instruction clearly stated in large type. Every time I check in the airport the gate agents as well as the ground crew comment how they wish every did this.

I have a Pride GoGo Elite Traveler and the following is the note that gets attached:

INSTRCTIONS TO OPERATE SCOOTER IN FREEWHEEL MODE.

Name

flight number

destination airport

KEY HAS BEEN REMOVED BY OWNER

DO NOT FORCE PUSH OR PULL THE SCOOTER AS IT CAN DAMAGE THE MOTOR

PLACE SCOOTER IN FREEWHEEL MODE BY PUSHING YELLOW LEVER UNDER THE SEAT ON THE REAR WHEEL SECTION FORWARD TO THE "UNLOCKED" POSTION

AFTER STOWING IN THE CARGO HAUL PULL THE YELLOW LEVER UNDER THE SEAT ON THE REAR WHEEL SECTION BACK TO THE "ULOCKED" POSTION"

THE ABOVE INSTRUCTIONS SHOULD BE DONE IN REVERSE WHEN REMOVING THE SCOOTER FROM THE CARGO HAUL. ONCE DELIVERED TO THE JETWAY PLACE THE YELLOW LEVER BACK TO THE "LOCKED" POSITION'

Thats exactly what I did the one time I took mine on a plane. I printed my instructions on fluorescent pink paper and taped it to the seat back. When I get off the scooter I fold the back down so they can't miss the note. I also have a luggage tag on my basket with all my onfo printed on it (just in case).

I agree with xxoocruiser (then again, I've never known him to be wrong about anything!). I would say, though, that "heard" is often code for someone told someone who told someone who told someone who told you. I would hazard a guess that someone tried to check their scooter rather than gate check it and it was torn up (not that it couldn't happen gate-checked as well).

Totally agree about "Heard" being a code word. Additionally the ground crew member I spoke to did mention that the scooter is more likely to be damaged if checked through like luggage. However just as ProfessorEFFE mentioned it can still get banged up even if gate checked.

xxoocruiser,

Yet again, you amaze me by your practical knowledge and problem solving. I shall steal your idea and embed it with some pictures.

Do itashi mashta

Don't have to steal. It's anyone's idea for the taking.

Oh forgot to say I bring an extra copy for the return flight as it can get a little ripped up.

Edited by xxoocruiser

We gate check my smartscoot. We take the seat in the plane and put in overhead bin. We then collapse it and tie bungee cord around it. Never had a problem

My wife can do this now in less than a minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have travelled extensively by plane with my Travelscoot and drive it right up to the door of the plane. We remove the lithium battery and the scooter is carried down to the hold (along with wheelchairs and strollers). I usually don't have any special instructions left with the scooter (other than my name etc. and the dimensions and weight of the scooter). Have never had any damage done in over 30 plus flights. I always put the brake lever on so the scooter won't roll around in the cargo hold. I heard they attach it but I like to leave the brake on just as a safeguard.

BTW - I am surprised to hear that XXOOCRUISER is a male. I always assumed (wrongly) that the person was female. They give such good advice and it is much appreciated.:D

I agree with xxoocruiser (then again, I've never known him to be wrong about anything!). .

BTW - I am surprised to hear that XXOOCRUISER is a male. I always assumed (wrongly) that the person was female. They give such good advice and it is much appreciated.:D

Mexio8 your assumption is correct - Female .

I use to have instructions, including a diagram of the scooter showing the location of the free wheel lever, but have not worried about it in the past few years. However, when I turn the scooter to the workers, I still show them exactly where the free wheel lever is and put emphasis on resetting it when they get through pushing. I have found that most handlers already know about the free wheel and to put down the seat back.

On a flight into Fort Lauderdale, Northwest damaged the bolt in the connection for turning the back of the seat down. The individual in charge, would not let me leave until they had it repaired and working properly.

Since there are so many traveling with mobility scooters, some airlines have limited space for mobility devices. Thus it is now important that you notify them when you purchased your tickets that you will be traveling with a scooter of mobility device.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

Mexio8 your assumption is correct - Female .

Post #8 referred to you as "him" and I was shocked. All these years I have been reading your good comments and always thought you were female. Need I say more?

Thanks for clarifying. Your attention to detail and all the trouble you go to are very much appreciated by so many posters (including me).

Post #8 referred to you as "him" and I was shocked. All these years I have been reading your good comments and always thought you were female. Need I say more?

Thanks for clarifying. Your attention to detail and all the trouble you go to are very much appreciated by so many posters (including me).

Your kind words are very much appreciated . Always enjoy reading your thoughtful contributions as well.

Edited by xxoocruiser

• 3 weeks later...
I. Will be traveling with my scooter for the first time. This thread is so helpful.

I am traveling next week with mine again. Everyone at the airport was extremely helpful. Be sure to allow extra time at security. They will want to check it extensively. And the workers at the gate were also extremely considerate. Be sure to put that note on it about how to handle it. Each one is different and airline staff can't be expected to remember all the different models. Happy traveling.

I use a Travel Scoot and ride it right up to the gate at the airport. They stow it for me and it's ready and waiting when the plane lands. I haven't had any trouble. No instructions needed for this. I don't think they take it apart.

• 2 weeks later...
I use a Travel Scoot and ride it right up to the gate at the airport. They stow it for me and it's ready and waiting when the plane lands. I haven't had any trouble. No instructions needed for this. I don't think they take it apart.

I have taken my Travelscoot on many planes and I am quite sure they don't take anything apart.

I wonder if it's best to put the brake on or leave it off? I hate to think it's rolling around in the hold of the plane but I think they must secure it so it doesn't move. Hope so. I wonder what others do?

(One time in Copenhagen when I first got the scooter we had it on a bus and didn't know about setting the brake. The scooter was rolling all over the place with the motion of the bus.)

I tend to err on the side of caution now and usually set the brake.

• 4 weeks later...

I also gate check my scooter. I wait for the baggage handler and show him personally how everything works as well as attaching instructions. Also, I remove my basket, put the charget in it and stow it on the plane. I fold the seat down and put the handle down on the seat. That makes it much more compact. I've never had damage and I've been using a scooter for around 12 years now.

We've flown a lot with husband's Pride 4 wheel Go Go. Agree about showing the gate attendant where the lever is to take it out of gear. We always gate check. We have had two times when the scooter was damaged, both times to the speed knob. When we flew into NYC the metal post that sticks up to hold the speed knob was sheared off. And it was in the slow position. We lost that evening and part of the next day waiting for a service person to come to the hotel and fix it. Another time the post wasn't sheared off but the knob was missing. Presume broken off. At least he could still control the speed by turning the post with his fingers. Both times we were flying Southwest, but that's because we fly Southwest whenever we can. I always hold my breath when they bring the scooter up.

All of the advice here is great. The first time I traveled with a scooter, I had rented it from a place near my home. It was the gate agent who showed ME how to take it out of freewheel mode. lol Then, in Vegas, a bellman had to show me how to reset the circuit breaker! (Note to self: LEARN how the scooter works before renting it!) The one thing I would say is ALWAYS TAKE THE KEY OUT. The only time I had any damage at all was because they bent the key. Thankfully, they didn't bend it so far that it broke.

• 3 weeks later...
DH has a lightweight, three part scooter. We need advice for taking it on a plane. We have heard that they get torn up, damaged beyond repair, etc. Help!

You heard right! I too, have a three part scooter that I just bought. It folds up into a nice compact unit that can be rolled about. At the airport door, I did just that to demonstrate for the handler. When I arrived at my destination, I discovered that instead of being rolled around on the wheels, it was dragged upside down across concrete. There was extensive damage and the airlines are refusing to repair it completely.

My advice: Become familiar with the Air Carrier Access Act (14CFR Part 382). Check out the DOT's Aviation Consumer Protection Division. There is a wealth of information there.

Also, there is pending legislation right now that is very important. See S.1318 for updates to the regulations.

If you have damage, DO NOT accept what the airline may tell you! They will lie to you either overtly or through ignorance of the law. DOT will give you the straight scoop and help you with processing a complaint and claim.

There is also an excellent site regarding 'wheelchairtravel' and it is a .org site.

If you have damage, airlines are REQUIRED to restore it to it's original (before damage) condition or replace it. No shortcuts. My airline tried to tell me that their policy was to NOT cover cosmetic damage because it was still functional. That sounded fishy to me. So I followed up with DOT to get the straight scoop.

Most importantly, be informed! And follow up.