Kauaii must do

lbfluffy

I've been doing my research. Our ship will stop in Nawiliwili. From what I understand that is the east side of the island. I read the Waimea Canyon is a good place to visit as well as the Nepali coast. We will be renting a car. We are in port from 8 to 5. Will we have enough time to visit both these places?

I've been doing my research. Our ship will stop in Nawiliwili. From what I understand that is the east side of the island. I read the Waimea Canyon is a good place to visit as well as the Nepali coast. We will be renting a car. We are in port from 8 to 5. Will we have enough time to visit both these places?

Waimea Canyon is on Kauai's south shore & the Na Pali Coast is accessible on foot from the north shore. I would never attempt to drive that much of Kauai in only a day because you'd spend most of your time in a car.

I'd recommend searching online for which area you'd prefer based on your own individual preferences. There are good things to experience all around the island but unless you're taking a helicopter tour I wouldn't recommend attempting to see it all in a day. :cool:

Waimea Canyon is on Kauai's south shore & the Na Pali Coast is accessible on foot from the north shore. I would never attempt to drive that much of Kauai in only a day because you'd spend most of your time in a car.

I'd recommend searching online for which area you'd prefer based on your own individual preferences. There are good things to experience all around the island but unless you're taking a helicopter tour I wouldn't recommend attempting to see it all in a day. :cool:

Unfortunately my husband will not fly in a helicopter.

I know we will go back again. I like what I've read about the Waimea Canyon. I think it said Waimea Canyon is about 36 miles. I bought a guide. I know we won't do any beach time because we want to sightsee. I'll keep looking at my guide. I certainly don't want to get stuck in traffic.Astro you are always so helpful to me. Thank you.

Jessica

You can see the Napali coast if you go to Waimea Canyon. Just drive all the way up the Waimea Canyon road ( through Kokee State Park) until you get to two lookouts almost at the end of the road. There is a beautiful view of the Napali coast from there. Just be aware that a view is not guaranteed as it is often misty, but the same would be true from a helicopter or boat. Sometimes it clears up as fast as it fogs in so a little patience is advised.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 months later...

We did the Mauna Loa Helicopter tour - 2 hours and DOORS OFF! Absolutely breathtaking! I'm adding links to my GoPro

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Both of the sights you want to see are well worth your time and definitely are in the top of top sights to see in all of Hawaii. While you can see the Na Pali Coast from a road on the north side of the island leading up to just one end of it, it's just a bit of a view and nothing compared to seeing it from either the sea or the air. The grandeur is something else! You mentioned your husband will not do a helicopter ride.That's a shame because the flight over the Na Pali Coast is absolutely phenomenal from the air with rainbows, waterfalls, ocean, mts., rainforest, cliffs and it is almost surreal! It has to be the very best scenery you could possibly see in all of the Hawaiian Islands, and even on the list of the best of the best in the world! (I was nervous about riding in a helicopter but the scenery was SO magnificent that the anxiety was soon forgotten. I am not normally a believer in popping a pill for everything, but this may be one time I'd say getting your husband to ask his dr. to prescribe an anti-anxiety medication just for the nerve to do such a flight would be worth it! The flights are very costly, though.) Anyway, if you can find a boat or even a dive/snorkeling tour of some sort that passes along the Na Pali Coastline, that would also be a fabulous outing. (We were very lucky to get to see it twice on our stay in Kauai, both from a helicopter and a dive boat.) You can also hike into the area, but it's rugged and you'd need to be fit and would probably need a lot of time to get very far at all. I'm sure the perspective is different, beautiful and limited by where you are at any given time. Waimea Canyon is very scenic as well. We stayed in the southern area near Poi'pu for a week and drove around a lot. There are overlooks to pull onto along the road in a few places where you can get a great view of the canyon. Your problem is that if you will be based in Lihue on a cruise ship, these sights are in different directions. Waimea Canyon is south from there, down and around to the southwest, and then you head north if you want to see more of the canyon. I think the closest view of the Na Pali Coastline via road would be north from Lihue, and up around to the west. There is no coastal road along the Na Pali Coastal area that connects the south west part of Kauai to the northwest part. It's just too rugged. If I had to choose just one, I'd choose to see the Na Pali Coast..Good luck and I truly hope you make it to both areas!

Hello, I went to Kauai in January (not a cruise- though we are doing the cruise in November too). We saw both Waimea and the Na Pali Coast from multiple viewpoints. Both are amazing, but I have to say that the Na Pali coast is breathtaking and unlike anything I've ever seen. If I had to choose just one, it'd be that.

I saw the coast from an outlook a bit past Waimea Canyon (called Kalalau Outlook)- it is stunning, but only a brief view and can be covered by mist and fog. We had to drive up there a second day because the view was not visible the first time. I also did a hike on the other side of the island on the first part of the Kalalau trail and was able to see some of the coast from the hike-it is about 4 miles roundtrip down to the beach that Lost was filmed on. The hike is beautiful, but it is a moderate hike and for someone who wants to be a little more active. I don't know if I would attempt it considering the limited time Princess has in this port and the distance between the port and the hike.

The absolute best thing I did on the entire trip was take a raft trip along the Na Pali coast from the South shore. You get to see the entire Na Pali coastline for hours (not to mention dolphins and sea turtles)- and by sea or by air is really the only way to truly see and appreciate this coastline. In fact, I loved it so much that we are doing a similar rafting trip through Princess in November called the Na Pali Cruise & Snorkel. If you're up for a little fun and adventure, that is definitely the way to go!

No matter what you choose, you won't be disappointed :)

The reason my husband can’t do helicopters is he’s quite large, scared of heights. Plus we are dealing with a heart issue that we hope to be fixed at the end of this month. I’m fit and have done helicopter rides without my hubby in Alaska. He went fishing with his friend.

Now I’m wondering if I should change what we drive to.

I also posted on another similar thread. I have done both...

If choosing one activity/sight on Kauai, I would definitely choose to experience the Napali Coastline.

You mentioned that your husband fishes... Would he be okay with one of the boats that sail the Napali Coast from the North of Kauai? (Not sure, if you are traveling in the Winter)

I would do that, in a heartbeat, over driving and driving to see the Canyon. (Yes, it is beautiful too, but the very HAWAIIAN beauty of the Napali Coastline is something that one does not want to miss when given a chance.)

Looking down from the overlook, when driving up the canyon, is just not 'seeing the Napali Coast'.

Two different things. Yes, it is a spectacular view! But one is looking down 'over' to the sea.

Also, if I am correct... by the time one could get up there from the ship, it is possible, that even on the nicest day, the clouds that naturally form right at that level of the overlook, due to the natural micro-climate of Kauai, one could be really socked-in. We got up early and drove from our hotel on the South Shore... got there early... drove all the way up without stopping... Gorgeous view! As we headed down, we witnessed these clouds forming... At the second main overlook on our way back down, it was already becoming socked-in and one could see absolutely nothing.

We toured the Napali Coast, from the South. With Captain Andy's. They sail larger comfortable catamarans.

But, This would not be doable with your short schedule on Kauai.

It was AMAZING!!!!! And, yes, from the catamaran, we witnessed those clouds forming across that level/altitude.

Again, if you are traveling in the Winter months, conditions might be a factor?

Edited by Wishing on a star

ibfluffy, there is a small plane excursion you can book, but it doesn't sound like your dh would work for your husband. I feel for you as we are cruising to HI in a few months, too, and will be a bit restricted w/regard to certain activities that we'd normally have done. I'd do the zodiac/snorkel trip in a heartbeat, but my dh has been somewhat mobility impaired w/regard to his dominant leg & arm the past 2 years. Although he can walk (slowly and carefully, but not for long periods of time), he can no longer swim or dive, and would lose his balance even trying to get into a zodiac I imagine. So we'll likely rent a car and revisit some places we saw when we did a land trip once, or maybe do the plane trip. I'm sure you will figure out something! Have a great time and I hope your dh's heart issue is fixed satisfactorily in time for your trip.

I just met a guy on our trip to Disneyland and he said Hanalei Bay is a must do. He said since I’m near a dessert area the best thing is to do opposite of what I can easily see in California so he said Hanalei Bay

That's on the north shore so you'd have to decide which you prefer however I would never tell anyone that something is a "must do".

There are advantages to both sides of Kauai but have never thought of Hanalei Bay as a must do. The area is more lush than the south shore however it's also wetter & it rained the entire time during our most recent drive to the north shore including Hanalei Bay.

That's on the north shore so you'd have to decide which you prefer however I would never tell anyone that something is a "must do".

There are advantages to both sides of Kauai but have never thought of Hanalei Bay as a must do. The area is more lush than the south shore however it's also wetter & it rained the entire time during our most recent drive to the north shore including Hanalei Bay.

Thank you. Right. now I have your suggestions you told me in my notes. I have a little over a month to decide.