No more Cruise Logs

JennysUncle

Back when HAL decided to stop delivering the daily NY Times summary paper to all cabins we barely heard a whimper from anybody, because they were and still are readily available in the Lido and at the front desk ... and they will print an on-demand copy for you if they have run out at the front desk. The same approach should have been used for the cruise logs - print a couple of hundred at have them available at the front desk. If a couple of hundred turns out to be too many, cut the number ... and over time the demand will most likely die a natural death.

I'm with you on this one. It would be a good compromise. I already wrote my snail mail to corporate and got a nice letter that made me feel like they might be open to the Cruise Log reinstatement. Please forward your solution to the decision makers at HAL.....maybe this will be a compromise they can work with.

I'm with you on this one. It would be a good compromise. I already wrote my snail mail to corporate and got a nice letter that made me feel like they might be open to the Cruise Log reinstatement. Please forward your solution to the decision makers at HAL.....maybe this will be a compromise they can work with.
I have already sent an email suggesting

(1) printing a limited number or

(2) modifying the front-desk statement-printing kiosks so that we can print our own or

(3) making it available in the intranet Navigator "app" as a pdf so those of us with laptops/tablets/smartphones can grab a copy, or

(4) sending it out as a pdf with the post-cruise survey.

(Options 1 or 2 are needed for people who don't have home computers.) That was 6 days ago and have received nothing but the auto-reply "thank you for your email"

Back when HAL decided to stop delivering the daily NY Times summary paper to all cabins we barely heard a whimper from anybody, because they were and still are readily available in the Lido and at the front desk ... and they will print an on-demand copy for you if they have run out at the front desk. The same approach should have been used for the cruise logs - print a couple of hundred at have them available at the front desk. If a couple of hundred turns out to be too many, cut the number ... and over time the demand will most likely die a natural death.

I especially liked your reasoning here, comparing it to the NY Times delivery solution. I do like the NY Times as well as the Cruise Log. I can see where the Cruise Log, like the NY Times summary previously, took up the time of the stateroom attendants especially on the last, very busy day. Your solution is perfect. We’ll pick up our own copy just like we do with the news.

I especially liked your reasoning here, comparing it to the NY Times delivery solution. I do like the NY Times as well as the Cruise Log. I can see where the Cruise Log, like the NY Times summary previously, took up the time of the stateroom attendants especially on the last, very busy day. Your solution is perfect. We’ll pick up our own copy just like we do with the news.

Isn't the delight of a ruise to enjoy not hvcing to do for ourselves., to havve things dllivered to our cabin and not have to chase them down on our own? HAL made us accusotmed to superior service and when they take it away, they cannot expect we will not have a negatgive opinion about that. Why would we want to go around the ship the lsat night trying to find a cruise log? Not , my idea of 'great srvrice. :) What will they take away next? It is all incremental. It would be great if they remember we get to command the last taaaake away........ we can take ourselves and our bookings away.. :D :eek:

I I can see where the Cruise Log, like the NY Times summary previously, took up the time of the stateroom attendants especially on the last, very busy day. Your solution is perfect. We’ll pick up our own copy just like we do with the news.

One comment on this, last year on Koningsdam, we did not get a cruise log, but we did get a seperate note, indicating breakfast opening times for the Lido, something that is normally indicated on the last page of the cruise log, so still, cabin attendants have to deliver this to your cabin at the last minute and also, let's not forget your final statement, so no gain there!

Sad though I am at the loss of the "Cruise Log", I was pleased to see the following announcement this morning:

09:15 EDT Thursday, October 19, 2017

MIAMI, Oct. 19, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) has announced a 12 percent increase in its quarterly dividend to $0.45 per share from the previous dividend amount of $0.40 per share.

"The increase in our quarterly dividend follows a 14 percent increase earlier this year reflecting continued confidence in our sustained earnings improvement and strong cash flow. The increased dividend, combined with our ongoing share repurchase program, affirms our continued commitment to return cash to shareholders," said David Bernstein, chief financial officer for Carnival Corporation & plc.

As a carnival Corp shareholder, the dividend is far more important to me than the "Cruise Log".

Smooth sailing :ship::ship::ship:

One comment on this, last year on Koningsdam, we did not get a cruise log, but we did get a seperate note, indicating breakfast opening times for the Lido, something that is normally indicated on the last page of the cruise log, so still, cabin attendants have to deliver this to your cabin at the last minute and also, let's not forget your final statement, so no gain there!

Not to be picky but you do have to factor in how many printers are available for printing at one time, how many people are available for folding, delivery to cabin attendant stations, etc. So just because other things are printed and delivered doesn't mean that it would be "easy-peasy" to add another item for the same.

I know I will miss having the cruise log. I like catl331's idea of printing them like they do the NY Times and other papers. I'd be willing to pick one up as it is important to me.

Not to be picky but you do have to factor in how many printers are available for printing at one time, how many people are available for folding, delivery to cabin attendant stations, etc. So just because other things are printed and delivered doesn't mean that it would be "easy-peasy" to add another item for the same.

I know I will miss having the cruise log. I like catl331's idea of printing them like they do the NY Times and other papers. I'd be willing to pick one up as it is important to me.

The managed to print fold and disttribute the Log for tens ofhousands (or more) cruises -- many, many years. they can do it, they have chosen to not.

Two $$ perspectives on the Cruise Log (back of the envelope): Consider that the total fleet passenger capacity is about 23000 passengers on the 14 ships. Assuming the average cruise is about 12 days, the average is about 30 sailings a year. Thus about 345,000 cruise logs to produce (only one per cabin). Guessing about 3 cents apiece to print, that's an annual cost of about $10,000. But add to that the time to format the document, say 1 hour of labor to gather the mileage etc and word process it into the template, for about 420 hours across the fleet. Guessing a labor cost of $100,000/yr (overhead etc included), that adds about $20,000, so the total annual cost of the Cruise Logs could be about $30,000 which would be a nice savings to show on someone's accounting bottom line. Or in the shareholders' dividend, or someone's salary raise. On the other hand -- that's about 4.5 cents per passenger. It all depends on how you look at it. How many potential customers would be dissuaded by a 50 cent increase in the cruise price, and how many repeat cruisers would be added if ten things like the Cruise Log were then restored ?

The majority of cruisers are not shareholders.

Right you are ... and, as non-shareholders, they have no stake in how well or poorly Carnival Corporation manages its business. (Some might even suggest that their interests are inimical to Carnival's financial well-being.) And, since they have no stake in Carnival's business, IMO their opinions on HAL's decision to discontinue the "Cruise Log" should be of little concern to Carnival and its shareholders. JMO

Edited by avian777

Two $$ perspectives on the Cruise Log (back of the envelope): Consider that the total fleet passenger capacity is about 23000 passengers on the 14 ships. Assuming the average cruise is about 12 days' date=' the average is about 30 sailings a year. Thus about 345,000 cruise logs to produce (only one per cabin). Guessing about 3 cents apiece to print, that's an annual cost of about $10,000. But add to that the time to format the document, say 1 hour of labor to gather the mileage etc and word process it into the template, for about 420 hours across the fleet. Guessing a labor cost of $100,000/yr (overhead etc included), that adds about $20,000, so the total annual cost of the Cruise Logs could be about $30,000 which would be a nice savings to show on someone's accounting bottom line. Or in the shareholders' dividend, or someone's salary raise. On the other hand -- that's about 4.5 cents per passenger. It all depends on how you look at it. How many potential customers would be dissuaded by a 50 cent increase in the cruise price, and how many repeat cruisers would be added if ten things like the Cruise Log were then restored ?[/quote']But if they printed only one or two hundred per cruise, or made it possible to print our own at kiosks, most of those savings would still be realized and those of us that want them could get them.

... I like catl331's idea of printing them like they do the NY Times and other papers. I'd be willing to pick one up as it is important to me.

A PDF version would have an extremely minimal cost and make a lot of people happy and I am a shareholder. Seems like it would be a win win.

I'd combine these 2 suggestions and make the Cruise Log available for, say, $.50 per copy, which should cover all of HAL's costs with maybe a penny or two of profit!!! $$$

Why would we want to go around the ship the lsat night trying to find a cruise log?
If it was made available "print on demand" I'm sure your NL concierge would take care of it for you. Or if they printed a limited number they could be available in the NL as well as at the front desk.

If it was made available "print on demand" I'm sure your NL concierge would take care of it for you. Or if they printed a limited number they could be available in the NL as well as at the front desk.

Yes, like ly so. :)

I haven't received a cruise log on my last 3 cruises. I have not received a separate note giving breakfast hours. I usually contact the front desk for the hours and usually what they do give me is wrong. They have never told me to refer to the separate note. I hope these notes do spread to other ships. I didn't receive one on my koningsdam cruise.

I haven't received a cruise log on my last 3 cruises. I have not received a separate note giving breakfast hours. I usually contact the front desk for the hours and usually what they do give me is wrong. They have never told me to refer to the separate note. I hope these notes do spread to other ships. I didn't receive one on my koningsdam cruise.

Did you receive one on the Veendam to Bermuda cruise? I found mine today while going through paperwork. That in May ‘15 and then the NA in February ‘15 - enjoyed reading them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you receive one on the Veendam to Bermuda cruise? I found mine today while going through paperwork. That in May ‘15 and then the NA in February ‘15 - enjoyed reading them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you quoted me by accident. I have not been to Bermuda in at least 5 years so I'm not sure what you are talking about. I think they had cruise logs until about a year ago. I'd be very surprised if you didn't receive one in 2015.

We received a cruise log on Rotterdam cruise that ended in May, 2017.

I think (or hope) it may depend on the ship.

Let's face it - this is not hard to do. The facts published are what the captain announces every noon day and are in his log. Why make us write it all down?

I enjoy the updates on board but the one souvenir that always goes with me is the cruise log :).

I truly hope Seattle sees sense or that some ships ignore them.

any more information on the cruise logs? Are they gone, or is HAL still thinking.

I'm currently on the Volendam, 57 nights out of VANCOUVER to SINGAPORE.... completed the first of 4 seperate cruise legs and definitely NO cruise logs!!!! Will be contacting Guest services upon my return requesting a detailed copy of all the information the Cruise Log used to contain....... wish me luck!