Visiting London June 2018 Royal Princess cruise

smm0218

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

We have our cruise booked this Aug. 2018. We need to get to Dover to catch the Princess cruise lines. I have so many questions so hopefuly somebody can answer my questions since this is the first time we are visiting London:

1. We are a party of 10 and we plan to get AirBNB. Best are to stay in London that is affordable? Somebody suggested central London, but which part of Central London.

2. We plan to stay for 6 nights before taking our Cruise. Is London Pass the best way to see the city? Is Oyster card on top of what you pay for your London Pass?

We want to maximize our stay. Aside from the usual suspects famous site, we want to see Stonehenge and Bath and Harry Potter Studios.

3. 3 days in London, 1 day for Stonehenge and Bath and another day to for Harry Potter? Is that doable? I am thinking 1/2 day at Harry Potter, what other places can you see between Harry Potter and London?

4. How do we get to Dover? I am reading here that there is a Princess bus? Or just take regular train to Dover. Would love to see the Dover Castle on the way to the cruise. How can I do that?

Hopefully somebody can help me on this.

Hello,

We have our cruise booked this Aug. 2018. We need to get to Dover to catch the Princess cruise lines. I have so many questions so hopefuly somebody can answer my questions since this is the first time we are visiting London:

1. We are a party of 10 and we plan to get AirBNB. Best are to stay in London that is affordable? Somebody suggested central London, but which part of Central London.

2. We plan to stay for 6 nights before taking our Cruise. Is London Pass the best way to see the city? Is Oyster card on top of what you pay for your London Pass?

We want to maximize our stay. Aside from the usual suspects famous site, we want to see Stonehenge and Bath and Harry Potter Studios.

3. 3 days in London, 1 day for Stonehenge and Bath and another day to for Harry Potter? Is that doable? I am thinking 1/2 day at Harry Potter, what other places can you see between Harry Potter and London?

4. How do we get to Dover? I am reading here that there is a Princess bus? Or just take regular train to Dover. Would love to see the Dover Castle on the way to the cruise. How can I do that?

2. I found I did not get my money's worth, using the London Pass as you can only see so many places in one day. Then the next few times we visited London, we just paid for the places we wanted to visit. Price out the places you want to see and compare the price of the London Pass. I purchased an Oyster card to use on the bus. The bus/tube are cashless.

3. Check out www.evenevanstours.com for tours outside of London. Their coaches are out of London Victoria Coach Station. I took them for Stonehenge, Bath, Windsor, an all day tour.

4. Princess has transfers on embarkment/disembarkment days from LHR and London Victoria Coach Station. They load your luggage under the coach and take you direct to the ship.

I took www.nationalexpress.com from London Victoria Coach station to Dover Ferry Terminal then a short taxi ride to the Princess dock. The National Express does not go directly to the dock. Sometimes on embarkment days, the coach driver if asked nicely (tip after) he might drop you off at the dock.

I stayed at Premier Inn Ferry Terminal, across from the water front, were able to see the ship in the morning. A short taxi ride from the ferry terminal to the hotel the next day taxi from hotel to the dock.

I took a taxi up to the Dover Castle and took the many, many stairs down. I suggest taxi both ways. You need a few hours to see everything. The war tunnels are timed entrance. Depending on the time you arrive in Dover, you could drop off your luggage and take a taxi to/from the Castle.

Princess has a transfer direct to LHR/Victoria Coach Station or excursion transfer with a stop along to LHR.

National Express Coach does not go direct to LHR from Dover. It goes Dover-Victoria Coach Station- LHR.

I used International Friends (cheaper through www.londontoolkit.com) from Dover dock to our London hotel. They only go on embarkment/disembarkment days. A great way to see other places on the way to London as they stop along the way. They go to certain London hotel, LHR hotels and LHR if you have a late flight.

I try to purchase my sightseeing tickets online in advance sometimes can save £.

- Buckingham Palace State Room www.royalcollection.org.uk will be open in August while the Queen is away. The Royal Day Out, a great way to see the State Rooms, The Mew (Royal carriages), Queen's Gallery, all within walking distance of each one.

-Kensington Palace www.hrp.org.uk

-Westminster Abbey www.westminster-abbey.org

- London Eye - www.londoneye.com

- London Theatre - www.londontheatre.co.uk

- www.londontoolkit.com

Harrod's - I enjoyed walking through all the different food areas.

Edited by phabric

2. I found I did not get my money's worth, using the London Pass as you can only see so many places in one day. Then the next few times we visited London, we just paid for the places we wanted to visit. I purchased an Oyster card to use on the bus. The bus/tube are cashless.

3. Check out www.evenevanstours.com for tours outside of London. Their coaches are out of London Victoria Coach Station. I took them for Stonehenge, Bath, Windsor, an all day tour.

4. Princess has transfers on embarkment/disembarkment days from LHR and London Victoria Coach Station. They load your luggage under the coach and take you direct to the ship.

I took www.nationalexpress.com from London Victoria Coach station to Dover Ferry Terminal then a short taxi ride to the Princess dock. The National Express does not go directly to the dock. Sometimes on embarkment days, the coach driver if asked nicely (tip after) he might drop you off at the dock.

I stayed at Premier Inn Ferry Terminal, across from the water front, were able to see the ship in the morning. A short taxi ride from the ferry terminal to the hotel the next day taxi from hotel to the dock.

I took a taxi up to the Dover Castle and took the many, many stairs down. I suggest taxi both ways. You need a few hours to see everything. The war tunnels are timed entrance. Depending the time you arrive in Dover, you could drop off your luggage and take a taxi to/from the Castle.

Princess has a transfer direct to LHR/Victoria Coach Station or excursion transfer with a stop along to LHR.

I used International Friends (cheaper through www.londontoolkit.com) from Dover dock to our London hotel. They only go on embarkment/disembarkment days. A great way to see other places on the way to London as they stop along the way. They go to certain London hotel, LHR hotels and LHR if you have a late flight.

I try to purchase my sightseeing tickets online in advance sometimes can save £.

- Buckingham Palace State Room www.royalcollection.org.uk will be open in August while the Queen is away. The Royal Day Out, a great way to see the State Rooms, The Mew (Royal carriages), Queen's Gallery, all within walking distance of each one.

-Kensington Palace www.hrp.org.uk

-Westminster Abbey www.westminster-abbey.org

- London Eye - www.londoneye.com

- London Theatre - www.londontheatre.co.uk

- www.londontoolkit.com

Thank you so much for this information. Just out of curiosity, won't the London Pass give you the fast track so you do not need to fall in line?

I will need to contact Princess regarding this transfer.

I need clarification, We can drop off/check in our luggage in the cruise dock then take a taxi to to see Dover Castle before taking the cruise?

Thank you so much for this information. Just out of curiosity, won't the London Pass give you the fast track so you do not need to fall in line?

I will need to contact Princess regarding this transfer.

I need clarification, We can drop off/check in our luggage in the cruise dock then take a taxi to to see Dover Castle before taking the cruise?

If the attraction has a fast track line, yes you will save time. I saved time at the Tower of London. I found we did not see enough places to get our money's worth from the London Pass vs paying at each place we wanted to see. With the London Pass you are paying for places you do not visit.

If there are so many of you, you might want to see if a car service might be worth it, make sure you mention number of people and pieces of luggage. Others might give you names for a car service company for Dover.

Why not spend the night before the cruise in Dover, see the castle in the morning, then board the ship. We spend most of a day at the castle the day before our cruise. The castle is ruins (castle does not have furniture) and war tunnels.

It would all depend on what time you arrive at the dock, if you have time to see the castle. A taxi is needed as there is nothing at the dock. You usually have to be onboard a couple of hours before departure time to do muster drill.

If the attraction has a fast track line, yes you will save time. I saved time at the Tower of London. I found we did not see enough places to get our money's worth from the London Pass vs paying at each place we wanted to see. With the London Pass you are paying for places you do not visit.

If there are so many of you, you might want to see if a car service might be worth it, make sure you mention number of people and pieces of luggage. Others might give you names for a car service company for Dover.

Why not spend the night before the cruise in Dover, see the castle in the morning, then board the ship. We spend most of a day at the castle the day before our cruise. The castle is ruins (castle does not have furniture) and war tunnels.

It would all depend on what time you arrive at the dock, if you have time to see the castle. A taxi is needed as there is nothing at the dock. You usually have to be onboard a couple of hours before departure time to do muster drill.

I have looked at the London Toolkit and their transfer offers a visit to Dover, so we might do that.

I was thinking about staying overnight at Dover but there are so many sights to see in London.Just visiting British Museum and Westminster Abbey might take a day already. We may want to spend more time seeing London. Just need to be smart on how to get from one place to another interesting site. I am a planner and need everything organized.

In your opinion, is Windsor Palace an easy train ride and a do it your own trip as opposed to including that with Stonehenge and Bath tour?

Our first priority is to book a place in London. I know it is still far away but we are a big party.

In your opinion, is Windsor Palace an easy train ride and a do it your own trip as opposed to including that with Stonehenge and Bath tour?

Going to Windsor to visit the castle is definitely an easy train ride. Lots of companies include it in a day tour with Stonehenge and Bath, but that would make for a long day.

Going to Windsor to visit the castle is definitely an easy train ride. Lots of companies include it in a day tour with Stonehenge and Bath, but that would make for a long day.

Thank you so much. I saw this wonderful website where you can plan your own walks and most of them are free. Does anyone know about this? And is it any good?

https://www.londonforfree.net/

I have looked at the London Toolkit and their transfer offers a visit to Dover, so we might do that.

I was thinking about staying overnight at Dover but there are so many sights to see in London.Just visiting British Museum and Westminster Abbey might take a day already. We may want to spend more time seeing London. Just need to be smart on how to get from one place to another interesting site. I am a planner and need everything organized.

Our first priority is to book a place in London. I know it is still far away but we are a big party.

Taking International Friends from London to Dover with a stop at the castle is a great way for transportation. I used them from Dover to London hotel and will be using them from Southampton to London in July.

Others here have taken the train from London to Windsor. I took Even Evans tour, since we wanted to see Windsor, Bath and Stonehendge without us driving and a guide. The guide would talk on the way to the site and once there, get us into the site, and tell us what time to be back to the coach. Yes it is a long day, we enjoyed it.

Are you planning one place for all of you or each couple their own?

I have already reserved my London hotel Premier Inn Waterloo for July. I am also a planner.

Are you on the Pacific Princess doing the 8 day British Isle?

I was on the Ocean Princess sister ship to the Pacific 2x from Dover. I did the 8 day on the Ocean. I really enjoyed the Ocean, everything like the big ship but on a smaller version.

Taking International Friends from London to Dover with a stop at the castle is a great way for transportation. I used them from Dover to London hotel and will be using them from Southampton to London in July.

Others here have taken the train from London to Windsor. I took Even Evans tour, since we wanted to see Windsor, Bath and Stonehendge without us driving and a guide. The guide would talk on the way to the site and once there, get us into the site, and tell us what time to be back to the coach. Yes it is a long day, we enjoyed it.

Are you planning one place for all of you or each couple their own?

I have already reserved my London hotel Premier Inn Waterloo for July. I am also a planner.

Are you on the Pacific Princess doing the 8 day British Isle?

I was on the Ocean Princess sister ship to the Pacific 2x from Dover. I did the 8 day on the Ocean. I really enjoyed the Ocean, everything like the big ship but on a smaller version.

The reason I want to do Windsor separately is because there is another tour I am interested. Stonehenge, Bath, Lacock (village where they filmed Harry Potter, Pride and Prejudice etc), Avebury (Neolithic Stone Circle). This will be a long day tour

I am booking for all of us a party of ten and I think Airbnb is the way to go. I saw a 4 bedroom 2 bath place in Central London just need to know if it's a good area.

Yes taking I believe the pacific Princess 8 day British Isle cruise in August.

"Stonehenge, Bath, Lacock " Which company is this with? I've seen a couple of these but they haven't seemed quite right.

The website is www.visitacity.com/london/tours

It is managed by Viator a Trip Advisor company. We know that Trip advisor is a reliable company. Go to their full day tours.

I am booking for all of us a party of ten and I think Airbnb is the way to go. I saw a 4 bedroom 2 bath place in Central London just need to know if it's a good area.

What area? I have stayed in many areas in London, as have other regular posters here, so we could tell you if it's good or not :).

The website is www.visitacity.com/london/tours

It is managed by Viator a Trip Advisor company. We know that Trip advisor is a reliable company. Go to their full day tours.

Viator is a tour reseller. Sounds like the tour might be the one offered by Premium Tours: https://www.premiumtours.co.uk/ . Never used them myself but they have good online reviews.

What area? I have stayed in many areas in London, as have other regular posters here, so we could tell you if it's good or not :).

It won't tell me the exact address until I give a deposit. It just says near Tower of London and London Bridge. The view from the place is the Shards building.

Viator is a tour reseller. Sounds like the tour might be the one offered by Premium Tours: https://www.premiumtours.co.uk/ . Never used them myself but they have good online reviews.

Okay I will look at premium tours website maybe its a better deal;p

Thanks for the info. I think Premium Tours is one I looked at and I find their information a little lacking. I realize times are not set in stone but some idea of how long in each place would be helpful. The one I looked at it seems like you might spend the day on the bus with a stop for lunch.. I realize that not the case and all I have to do is write them, it's just frustrating for me. ;)

It won't tell me the exact address until I give a deposit. It just says near Tower of London and London Bridge. The view from the place is the Shards building.

Here's a tip when looking at locations on Airbnb: when looking at the map within a specific listing, it will only give a general area, but it does pinpoint the locations of properties on the search results map pretty accurately.

Near the Tower wouldn't be my first choice of areas; not bad, but just not as central to the main tourist areas. I'd be looking further west, anywhere from Mayfair/Westminster to Kensington would be convenient.

Here's a tip when looking at locations on Airbnb: when looking at the map within a specific listing, it will only give a general area, but it does pinpoint the locations of properties on the search results map pretty accurately.

Near the Tower wouldn't be my first choice of areas; not bad, but just not as central to the main tourist areas. I'd be looking further west, anywhere from Mayfair/Westminster to Kensington would be convenient.

Thank youl! I will take that into consideration. Right now, I am enjoying viewing the different units at AirBNB and VRBO. I will let you know when I seriously am taking into consideration the places. My priorities are number of Bathrooms!:D

With regard the Harry Potter Studio tour, you could visit the nearby city of St Albans, there is a rail line the Abbey line between Watford and St Albans or a local bus the Arriva 321. The distance between the two places is only 9 miles.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Albans

St Albans is an place of ancient origins it was the Roman city of Verulanium that was sacked by Queen Bodicae and rebuilt and later the site of the death of the first British martyr.

There are Roman remains, the Abbey Cathedral with its medieval wall paintings, and many intresting shops to visit on Wednesday and Saturdays there is a market.

For golfing fans there a bit of history Samuel Ryder of the Ryder Cup lived there and his old store is now a restaurant you can eat in.

With regard the Harry Potter Studio tour, you could visit the nearby city of St Albans, there is a rail line the Abbey line between Watford and St Albans or a local bus the Arriva 321. The distance between the two places is only 9 miles.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Albans

St Albans is an place of ancient origins it was the Roman city of Verulanium that was sacked by Queen Bodicae and rebuilt and later the site of the death of the first British martyr.

There are Roman remains, the Abbey Cathedral with its medieval wall paintings, and many intresting shops to visit on Wednesday and Saturdays there is a market.

For golfing fans there a bit of history Samuel Ryder of the Ryder Cup lived there and his old store is now a restaurant you can eat in.

Hi Hatters cruiser,

Thank you so much for this information I will definitely enjoy researching this place.!

Thanks for the info. I think Premium Tours is one I looked at and I find their information a little lacking. I realize times are not set in stone but some idea of how long in each place would be helpful. The one I looked at it seems like you might spend the day on the bus with a stop for lunch.. I realize that not the case and all I have to do is write them, it's just frustrating for me. ;)

Not sure if this might help. We did this tour in December but we also visited Windsor. That tour was 12 hours. I only wished we had more time

at Windsor but the other times were ok. Stonehenge 75 minutes, Bath 90 minutes and Lacock 60 minutes (lunch). The tour guide called ahead with the lunch order so we were served almost imeduately after sitting down. Then Windsor was 90 minutes(actually the first stop). The bus was comfortable and the tour guide great. The longest part was the ride back to London from Bath.

Enjoy.

Not sure if this might help. We did this tour in December but we also visited Windsor. That tour was 12 hours. I only wished we had more time

at Windsor but the other times were ok. Stonehenge 75 minutes, Bath 90 minutes and Lacock 60 minutes (lunch). The tour guide called ahead with the lunch order so we were served almost imeduately after sitting down. Then Windsor was 90 minutes(actually the first stop). The bus was comfortable and the tour guide great. The longest part was the ride back to London from Bath.

Enjoy.

Thank you for the insight. Yes agree Windsor visit maybe short but you did see a lot of places. I may do this tour.

I'd like to do a day trip to an area of England that lets us see a different type of countryside is I guess the best way to put it. The only English stop we make on the cruise is Liverpool, IIRC.

I've thought about Cotswold, Bath & Stonehenge

I've also thought about going towards Dover.

Love to go to Cornwall but I think that's too far for a day trip.

Believe Lake District is also too far.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Sandi

Enjoy.

Forgot to ask which tour group did you use?

It was Premium Tours. Lunch is quite late 3pm or so. Tour guide advised us to get snack at Windsor to take on bus to eat in route to Stonehenge. If you can get that before it would save you time at Windsor. Keep moving at Windsor. I was so fascinated, I did niot have much time at St George's Chapel. We went durning Christmas Holidays. I think they was a school choir there. I stopped and listened, so that took time. Don't get distracted like I did.

Tour left from Victoria Coach station. A few blocks away from the Train station.