TRAVELSCOOT on board

mamaofami

Mobility scooters cannot be used on European river cruises because of the problem of disembarking and most do not have elevators to get to the various venues onboard.

Scooters are usable on the American Queen Mississippi River cruises. They have elevators and ramps to disembark. We were very pleased with the ability to use their included excursion Hop on Hop off buses also. They have 2 that have lifts.

Does anyone know of any river boat companies that allow the travel scoot on board to be used in ports or for excursions?

There are many threads on this forum that address all the issues as to why mobility scooters can't be used on River Cruises as well as the obstacles that any one with a mobility disability, regardless of the mobility equipment used , will encounter getting off the boat and up to street level at each stop. Suggest you do a search of this forum.

Ruth and I were considering a Mississippi River cruise next year. Doing a comparison between the Mississippi and the Columbia Rivers, the Mississippi has more history to offer. The Columbia has some beautiful scenery, however I have seen most of it. As far as tours, we normally create our own tours and use public transportation.

Check your TA or Cruise Critic's website for “river cruises”.

We took my smartscoot on tauck to use only on excursions. Perfect

Even though their website says no scooters we asked and got a yes. Using a scooter on the boat is unworkable. But a small fold up scooter is not a problem

Ignore the naysayers

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Does anyone know of any river boat companies that allow the travel scoot on board to be used in ports or for excursions?

Are you asking about river boat tours in the United States?

The American Queen Steam Steamboat Company is one of the companies offering river boat tours in the US. Having been on their boat the American Queen twice, I can say that there are people on board who use wheelchairs and scooters. Their Hop on Hop Off buses (free) at all stops are full sized motorcoaches and wheelchairs or scooters can be stowed below. https://www.americanqueensteamboatcompany.com/

Another company with river boat tours in the US is American Cruise Lines, although I have not been on this line. They do have accessible rooms and elevators. Most common areas are accessible.

https://www.americancruiselines.com