Soda Fountain Valu Card

Snowbaby369

We sail on Koningsdam late November. I see we can purchase a Soda Fountain Valu card for 25.00 and it gives you 50.00 value. Can someone tell me how it works? Where are the soda machines located? What kind of soda is available? How big are the sodas? Thanks

I've bought this 3 times. It is only for soda fountain pop, not cans of pop. You just show your card (which should be in your cabin if you've preordered), to the waiter, and he'll use it to "pay" for your beverage. I've never used up the whole $50 worth and this cruise next month, I'm not going to prebuy, just pay as we want.

It's Coke products so I'm not quite sure what they have that would compare to ginger ale, perhaps sprite. I'm on Amsterdam now and they recently increased the size of the glass (and price). It's probably about 12 oz now and 1.95 plus 15% service charge, so think it comes out to about 22 glasses.

I usually buy them on cruises of 2 weeks or more. I'm a bit surprised and pleased they are available on the Koningsdam and suggest you pre-buy them because they might not be available on the ship. Koningsdam also has "freestyle" machines where you get a special glass and can fill it automatically. I think that price is around $4 per day, and when I was on Koningsdam I decided to carry on my own 12-pack.

Roy

Since you can buy them onboard (for the same price), I would wait and see if you like the taste of the drinks from the soda gun. My first HAL cruise I purchased one of these cards but almost all of the sodas I got (and they were from different bars) were anywhere from so-so to horrible (the worst was actually ginger ale). Thinking that maybe something was wrong with the soda gun, or how they cleaned it, or perhaps the syrup itself, I tried a coke on my next HAL cruise. A year later it was still not good so I switched to buying the cans from then on.

Since Koningsdam has the "freestyle" machine (I think it is the only one in the fleet), the $4 a day deal might be better since you drink a number of sodas each day.

We’ve had the soda card and if you order something not fountain, they open a can and fill your glass. They do not have Coke Zero Sugar on fountain, but we got it by the glass from cans. Same with Ginger Ale. I’m pretty sure it was Seagrams Ginger Ale.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I see we can purchase a Soda Fountain Valu card for 25.00 and it gives you 50.00 value. ...

Since you can buy them onboard (for the same price), I would wait and see if you like the taste of the drinks from the soda gun...

We always purchase the Soda Fountain Value Card online because the first time we tried to purchase one onboard, we were told that the discount (Value) cards are available only online. To be certain, I suggest you contact HAL Ship Services, which is exactly what I am going to do next month as I start the final phase of getting ready for our January Caribbean cruise.

Smooth sailing :bottle-pop: :bottle-pop: :bottle-pop:

Isn't having to carry your glass with you onboard for the freestyle option a pain in the neck? That's what stopped me from using that option.

We’re used to it from other cruise lines. You only need to carry it when you want to use it. Really no different than going to the bar and getting a soda and carrying it with you, except you just have to carry it with you from your stateroom...and you don’t need to carry it to dinner. They will also put a Freestyle sticker on your card that will allow you to get glasses of soda at dinner.

We bought 2 of the $25 for $50 worth of soda cards before our 14 night Koningsdam cruise last May. These cards were great! My husband used his cards all over the ship, was usually handed a glass of ice and a can of soda, and on the rare occasion that I wanted a soda, I used the card, too. It was super easy, no problems at all and a great value. We are sailing on the 13 night Westerdam transatlantic on the 26th of this month and have purchased 2 of the cards again. :)

We bought 2 of the $25 for $50 worth of soda cards before our 14 night Koningsdam cruise last May. These cards were great! My husband used his cards all over the ship, was usually handed a glass of ice and a can of soda, and on the rare occasion that I wanted a soda, I used the card, too. It was super easy, no problems at all and a great value. We are sailing on the 13 night Westerdam transatlantic on the 26th of this month and have purchased 2 of the cards again. :)

Does the $25 card worth 50 have to be purchased before sailing or is it available on the ship?

Does the $25 card worth 50 have to be purchased before sailing or is it available on the ship?

It can be purchased on the ship. If someone wanted a second card, they aren't going to refuse to sell it. Guaranteed.

Post 17 sounds safest! I plan on doing that later this week. I will post the response. Let's see if we get a similar answer, let us know what you are told.

Good news, Snowbaby369 - I called HAL Ship Services a few minutes ago and was advised (by Alissa) that Soda Fountain Value Cards can be purchased on board. When I asked her when HAL had started selling the SFVC on board, she said "recently". So it appears that RuthC was correct, and I will be enjoying a crow dinner with a soda (purchased with my SFVC) on our next cruise!!! :o:o:o

We don't drink may sodas either, but sometimes on warm days they're nice. I saw them called "Fountain" cards, but wanted to verify, so before purchasing one of them on Friday I chatted with an agent on the HAL customer service page/site and was told the $25 card was good for cans of soda anywhere on the ship - about 22 of them, since a can is $2.25 - for the $50 value of the card. After reading this I chatted this morning with Jessica, who said it's only for fountain drinks before dropping the chat. Calling the customer service number got me Sean, who asked and then also said it's only for fountain drinks. They fill a glass and hand it to you. If you bring your own 20oz thermal glass (as an example), they'll put the contents of a 12 ounce glass into it. I didn't ask what all was available as fountain drinks, but they are Coca-Cola products.

It's Coke products so I'm not quite sure what they have that would compare to ginger ale, perhaps sprite. I'm on Amsterdam now and they recently increased the size of the glass (and price). It's probably about 12 oz now and 1.95 plus 15% service charge, so think it comes out to about 22 glasses.

I usually buy them on cruises of 2 weeks or more. I'm a bit surprised and pleased they are available on the Koningsdam and suggest you pre-buy them because they might not be available on the ship. Koningsdam also has "freestyle" machines where you get a special glass and can fill it automatically. I think that price is around $4 per day, and when I was on Koningsdam I decided to carry on my own 12-pack.

Roy

Where is this soda fountain located, in lido? I drink almost no soda but this thread has me curious as I'VEnot heard of HAL selling soda anywhere but at the bars.

Where is this soda fountain located, in lido? I drink almost no soda but this thread has me curious as I'VEnot heard of HAL selling soda anywhere but at the bars.

It is a Coke Freestyle machine like you might find in some fast-food restaurants. You can get your base soda then it has about 5-10 different flavors that can be added to the base, basically creating your own personal soda.

There are two machines beside one another by the Lido bar.