Review July 28 Maasdam Boston to Montreal

shipshapertoo

Just got home from NE Maasdam Boston to Montreal cruise July 28. Only did one way so flew from Montreal to Philly to visit relatives for a week.

Arrived in Boston a few days prior to cruise and took a private tour to York, Ogunquit, and Kennebunkport, Maine. Lovely and scenic areas.

Took Lyft to ship, did customs there in Boston at terminal and walked right on ship. Easiest embarkation I have ever experienced.

Beware of cabin L395. Creaky like an old haunted house. I looked up where creaking was coming from and saw where staff tried to do a temporary fix by jamming two pieces of wood into part where ceiling met wall. Didn't help. Numerous calls to front desk. For that and air conditioner didn't work. Was offered ear plugs. Didn't help. Finally on second night I got to move to another cabin, #773. Wonderful cabin, no noise and air conditioner worked. Safe wouldn't work, needed to be reset. Then when I was coming back from dinner later that night, my key didn't work. Walked back up to front office. They were able to get me back into my cabin but I had to stay there and wait for the locksmith. He arrived half hour later and replaced the battery. Got a new key card and it set off alarm as I tried to get off ship for my excursion next day. Back to front office for a new card. When does my vacation start???

Ok so finally there were no more problems.

I have a food allergy and the chefs did a wonderful job, very few adjustments needed. I brought my own pancake and waffle mix and every morning at the MDR, chef prepared whichever one I ordered. Very accommodating.

Food is subjective but enjoyed the MDR breakfast and dinners and Lido food. Did not like Pinnacle nor Rudy's. Not worth the upcharge. Service however was excellent in the 2 specialty restaurants and uneven in MDR for dinner. Cold coffee in MDR until complaints to maitre d'. Hot coffee after that.

Many families with children, kids were well behaved. There was even one table of only children at dinner in MDR.

I had late seating so went to piano bar right after dinner every night. Thoroughly enjoyed "the piano man". Very talented performer.

Wonderful ports and friendly people in each port.

Peggy's Cove was breathtaking. Not to be missed.

I will be back, so much to see.

Thank you for your review.

Glad you enjoyed your Canada/New England cruise. -- Love those ports.

That was nice that they moved you to another cabin. Guess those cruises aren't selling out like they used to.

We got a cabin transfer after the start of a cruise once, because someone did not show up at the last minute. The room had been specially equipped for that passenger's requested hearing impairment, so it had been sold to her. Lucky for us as our first assigned Maasdam cabin was right over the Ocean Bar. That was the last time we booked a guarantee, even though luckily we had a happy ending and got a great replacement cabin. So getting a replacement cabin after the start of the cruise does not always necessarily mean sales are slow. Like hotels they probably run their budgets on far less than 100% sold out cruises.

I thought when I got on board that the ship was full, at least that was what front office told the lady who was standing near me at ship services. This was shortly after ship sailed and she was complaining about her cabin, that she was a solo in an inside cabin and it was awful. They told her "sorry" sold out, no cabins available. NO that lady was not me. So seems ship held back some cabins in case of really bad cabins and/or they shuffled people around. Customer service mg told me they were having problems with cabins in that section of ship where 395 is located. When I vacated cabin for new 773, they were two workers (construction, carpenters) waiting to go in, to inspect/repair,?