Small ship cruising review with photos on the Coral Princess II

1of4

I am not sure where to put this review as it is not HAL, but I can't find a category for it but when I search there is another short review of the ship. Since we usually sail on HAL and a few asked I am putting it here.

My DD and I took a 1 week journey on the Coral Princess II which is a small boat designed just for sailing on the Coral Sea on the Great Barrier Reef, Australia. It runs out of Trinity Warf in Cairns and holds a maximum of 44 (possibly 47 - I can remember exactly) passengers. It is a double hulled catamaran. It does a 3 day southern itinerary and a 4 day northern itinerary and we combined both and stayed on board for 7 days.

This was part of a one month trip to Australia between March 19 and April 16 this year.

We first flew to Sydney and stayed at the Sir Stamford at Circular Quay hotel. I wasn't going to mention it here, but since it was the nicest hotel for service and size of room I have ever stayed at I decided to let you know. It is within a 5 minute walk of Circular Quay in Sydney and so another 5 minutes in either direction has you at the Opera House or the Harbour Bridge.

Our room had two queen beds, a full sofa and a chair

ry%3D400

A nice sized desk with enougheasily accessible plugs to recharge everything we brought (camera, IPod, Samsung tablet, cell phone)

ry%3D400

a huge bathroom (can't find the pictures right now) with double sinks a seperate shower room and toilet room and still a large bathtub all in white marble.

I took this outside picture at dusk so that is why it is not bright:

ry%3D400

The hotel is across the street from the botanical gardens

ry%3D400

A short walk and you are in the heart of what tourists go to Sydney to see:

ry%3D400

To be continued...

Since it is a small boat, the itinerary is pliable depending upon conditions. Our cruise began on Friday morning, March 28 and was to include:

Day 1: Cairns and Thetford Reef

Day 2: Hinchinbrook Channel and Pelorus Island Beach BBQ

Day 3: Dunk Island Rainforest and nathan Reef

Day 4: Fitzroy Island and back to Cairns to change passengers

Day 5: Historic Cooktown and Reef surrounding Lizard Island

Day 6: Lizard island and Ribbon Reefs

Day 7: Ribbon Reefs making our way back to Cairns

Day 8: Cairns

About the boat. Passengers have full access to 3 decks with cabins on the first and second decks. The top deck holds the lounge, one of two bars, outside lounge and tables and spa tub.

In the picture below the glass bottom boat lift was lowered into the water and I was in it taking this picture. The glass bottom boat was used to ferry people around if we were going ashore and you could walk on/off so no climbing down ladders. The lift was lowered when we were snorkeling or diving too to make it easier to get in or out of the water as it has two long steps. We even stood on it and it was lowered about 2.5 feet into the water for a live fish feed....it was an amazing experience!

ry%3D400

We booked the lowest category which got us cabin 206.

ry%3D400

It was very comfortable. The next stateroom category up was on the same deck but had a chest of drawers. The bathroom was larger than some apartment bathrooms I have lived in. It had a tub-sized shower enclosure which also had a clothes line, toilet and sink in a cabinet. There was a shelf over the sink and two shelves under the sink for sufficient storage. Clean towels were provided when you left used ones in the shower. If we hung them up they were not changed.

The food was served in the dining room and there was never a shortage. meals times were breakfast at 7:00, lunch at noon and dinner at 7:00 with morning and afternoon teas also served with nibbles. Coffee, tea and biscuits were always available as were fountain soft drinks, free of charge. Each noon meal we would have a menu selection for the evening meal and if there was nothing that interested you they would make you anything you liked. Nothing was ever a problem. The food was spectacular and plentiful with seafood including lobster, clams, oysters, fresh fish, shrimp (prawns).....

ry%3D400

Without me asking (it was a surprise to me that they knew) they made a special announcement and presented DD with a cake one lunch which everyone shared for afternoon tea for her accomplishment of receiving all "As" for two years in a row in school:

ry%3D400

The upper lounge holds a bar, tables in the middle and a mix of sofa and chairs along both sides. There is a small library of non-fiction reading material pertaining to the area you are cruising plus a cabinet of games. There is also a flat screen TV used at night to show films on the reef. There are doors out to the sun deck:

ry%3D400

Nice place to do your math homework...don't you think? And there was a university math professor on board the first 3 days to help out when she got stuck!

ry%3D400

Edited by 1of4

What a great experience. The ship looks lovely and you must have had an amazing time.

Congratulations to your lovely DD to achieve all A's. How special it was celebrated with that beautiful cake.

Your photos are great. Thanks for sharing with us.

All Coral Princess boats have an open bridge policy. You are encouraged to go in and talk to the captain and ask questions anytime the door is open, which was most of the time. DD was even offered an opportunity to sit the the captain's chair and 'drive' for a time.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Second deck hallway looking from the top of the stairs leading from the diningroom down to the outside aft deck:

ry%3D400

We spent much time outside just enjoying either the snorkeling or the warm temperatures and sunshine!

Dawn in the Hinchinbrook Channel

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

DD in her "stinger suit" making sure her mask didn't leak. She is sitting on the second step of the boat lift used to store the glass bottom boat. Before we went snorkeling we were offered a 30 to 45 minutes glass bottomed boat tour of the area. Some people never got wet and chose just to do these tours.

ry%3D400

I'm Curious....

We there other guest aboard from Canada/U.S.?

Thanks Sail.

There was a good mix of people on both segments. The first segment had 28 passengers from all over: DD and I were the only Canadians on both segments but there was a family of 5 from California, a couple (the university professor) from Colorado (I think), and then the rest were Britsh, German, Swiss, a family of 3 from Japan and a man from Finland.

The second segment DD and I were 2 of 18 passengers. There were no Americans on this sailing. We were joined by 2 early-20s brothers from England, some other couples from England/Scotland, some Swiss, and a honeymoon couple from Finland.

It was a very good mix. I would say if you are comfortable in a B&B scenario then you would be comfortable on this size of boat. Every night at 6:00 we would meet in the upper lounge for drinks and conversation and there was always an activity after dinner. But we were usually tired so no nights were late.

You sat where you liked at dinner

First segment (3 days):

ry%3D400

Second segment, 4 days:

ry%3D400

We also stayed at Sir Stamford at Circular Quay in Sydney, and loved it. We're still getting emails from them, 4 years later!:D

Sounds like a fabulous trip with so few people. We loved Cairns and the area around there, too.

We also stayed at Sir Stamford at Circular Quay in Sydney, and loved it. We're still getting emails from them, 4 years later!:D

Sounds like a fabulous trip with so few people. We loved Cairns and the area around there, too.

When I was looking at hotels the sir Stamford was rates #1 in Sydney so I had my TA look into booking us....I guess they are getting the emails! :cool:

It was like being on a week long private tour. Yes there were some hick-ups but not with the boat or the organization. Just cultural/attitude differences with 2 couples on the first segment, but the rest of the 24 of us had the same issues so it wasn't personal to DD or I.

Just the "me first" attitude is alive and well. :rolleyes:

Okay, let's get this show on the road...or boat in the water!

We stayed at the Shangri-La hotel at the marina in Cairns. It is the large white building right beside the marina in the photos below, the Hilton is the brown building on the left...next time we will stay there:

ry%3D400

Our room afforded us a great view of the Coral Princess arriving on Friday morning, March 28:

ry%3D400

There had been a lot of rain in the tropical north of Australia the few months preceeding our visit, but the 3 days we were there we only had one shower...it was a doozy, but short lived. The photo above was taken about 8 in the morning.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Trinity Warf is walkable from the hotel but not with 2 big suitcases and carry-ons. I can't say the taxi driver was too enthusiastic when I told him where we were going and he didn't utter word, but reaked of smoke and put his radio on so loud I was glad we could count down the minutes until he dumped us out and put our luggage in a puddle (no kidding). I was very glad of the "no-tipping" custom. Even the staff from the boat couldn't believe him and said so as he peeled out of the warf area.

Our luggage was tagged with our cabin number right there on the warf and we were told to go to the upstairs lounge and meet other passengers and wait to be shown to our cabin.

It was our first glimpse of the outdoor ladders...er...stairs on the boat. They are quite steep and not for the faint of heart. They advise you to go down backwards which I did, some of the time. I haven't downloaded that photo yet into Shutterfly, but I have this one showing going down to the snorkling/dive platform which isn't as steep but you can see the stairs going from the second deck down to the first:

ry%3D400

We sat on one of the sofas and was soon joined by a British couple. There was water on the bar along with a plate of still-warm cookies. Soon people were asking our details and confirming our arrangements to get back to the airport (they take care of all details so you don't worry). We were shown our cabin and were able to unpack within 30 minutes of arriving at the warf. Just as we pulled away from the warf a safety briefing was held back up in the lounge which had been converted to a classroom/auditorium like seating facing the front and the flat screen TV.

This is so interesting - what a wonderful experience! Can't wait for more.:)

-- yes -:D- i luv what you have shown so far, very interesting on what it is like on a small ship-- thks

Your review would be most interesting if also posted on the Princess site to be found in the next segment of the list of cruise lines at the introduction page

I don't understand where to look. :confused: I searched "Coral Princess Cruises" on both CC and Trip Advisor and they don't exist as one of the listed cruise lines. Please provide a link as I must have missed it. They have 3 boats so I figured they were just too small to get a listing. Unless you misunderstood and thought I was on the Princess ship called Coral Princess which is much larger than 44 passengers.

Let me know and I will post in the appropriate spot. The owners of Coral Princess Cruises are also interested in my photos and review.

But it is bed for me now so I will continue tomorrow.

Enjoying your review, thank you and for sharing your photos.

Did you search the internet for small ship cruises to find the Coral Princess Cruises?

I am trying to remember exactly how I came across Coral Princess Cruises but I think it was through an on-line TA that was recommended highly by a well known geographic publication. As soon as I did my research on them everythig clicked. I emailed the company directly and was instantly put at ease that DD would be very welcome. We had a tentative booking that we had to cancel due to some medical issues and DD got two lovely emails from Coral Princess Cruises saying they hope she felt better and they would look forward to our booking in the future.

Now DH and DS are interested and we are looking at booking further intineraries as it was really that good.

I will back-track just a bit to provide some more background information.

When we first got to our cabin, there was a 12 page, full colour, 8.5" by 11" booklet containing everything we needed to know, what would be helpful to know and what is just good information to have. It contained useful information on safety, accommodation, meal times, bar, purser's office, gratuities (nto added, it is completely optional), keys, shore and reef excursions, snorkelling, scuba diving and eco-cruising. It had the full detailed itinerary with a write up on each stop.

Then each evening when our beds were turned down, we received a "Coral Sea News" that outlined the next day's specific times, locations and any special events.

I downloaded some more photos onto Shutterfly last night before DD gymnastics gala to give more information.

Our cabin was two single beds with a pullman to make it usable for 3. There are no quad cabins but there is a single cabin that if you are not travelling with others you can book and avoid a suppliment. Other cabins have queen beds.

The box you can see on the desk held wash cloths and toiletries that were replenished as needed. The room was serviced twice a day. Both the brochure for our cruise and the first edition of the Coral Sea News are on the desk in this photo.

ry%3D400

The bathroom:

ry%3D400

The bathroom looking from the shower:

ry%3D400

There is a safety card on the back of the cabin door:

ry%3D400

Along with an explanation of why they charge a one-time fee of $10.50 Australian to each passenger, it is a reef protection fee imposed by the government. Since we were technically on two voyages, we were charged this fee only once.

ry%3D400

Finally, yesterday I made reference to the ouside stairs....ladders more like it. I don't want to mislead anyone, the inside stairs aren't much better. The one from the dining room up to the next deck with the bridge isn't bad, a bit steep, but the one from the lounge down to the middle deck was also very steep. My knees were screaming at me by the end of the week but it wouldn't stop me from going again!

This picture is looking down the external stairs from the top sun deck down to the middle deck. The next external set of "stairs" is just like this one going down to the dining deck and were our cabin was.

ry%3D400

When you first board you go to the upper lounge as the staff are working hard to change over the cabins. You get to meet your fellow passengers, look at the reference materials, get a cold drink of water (or anything else you may want), grab a snack and relax...you are ready for the long-awaited adventure!

You board by the external stairs

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I am not sure where we were when I took this picture showing the covered section of the sun deck with the lounge behind the glass doors, but seeing the building it must have been Cairns on change-over day from the 3 day voyage to the 4 day:

ry%3D400

Turning around, this is the outside part of the sundeck with 6 (or 8?) loungers and a spa tub...not HOT tub. DD loved to go in it after snorkeling! I must have taken this on the 4 day voyage as nobody moved the loungers on the 3 day trip and I see some are missing from this picture

ry%3D400

After you have had a bit of time in your cabin to start to unpack and as soon as the boat pulls away from Trinity Warf, there is a safety and information briefing back up in the lounge.

The tables have been moved and all the chairs face forwards.

ry%3D400

Then all staff are brought up and introduced, from the chef to the engineer and everyone inbetween except the captain who is busy piloting the boat out of Cairns. It tends to be rough here as the channel is narrow.

This is the time they introduce snorkelling and diving and go over what the daily routine is like aboard and how they keep us safe by signing back onboard everytime we leave, even if you never got off you must sign back on. One day DD was asleep so we didn't leave and I forgot to sign in. The purser found me with the clipboard and the boat would not move until the captain had seen all signatures. I asked if I was to sign in for DD and I was told I was not allowed and asked if I minded if she saw DD for herself - she had to see the face in the bed. Then she signed that she saw DD and that it was, infact, DD in the bed. Only then could the boat leave that reef.

We first went south for 3 days and then on Monday went back to Cairns and then started the northern 4 day portion of our trip:

ry%3D400