Sea Diamond Runs aground and starts sinking

Single Cruiser

Passengers being evacuated, many from USA.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6530475.stm

My travel agent just called me about this. My girlfriend and I were booked to travel on the Sea Diamond on Monday the 9th of April... looks like that's not going to happen now.

Is there any word on any arrangements that Louis Cruise Lines have made for passengers? My travel agent told me that they would try to bring in a replacement ship and get it ready in time for our cruise, but they haven't confirmed yet if that would definitely be done.

It has been reported by CNN:

"A cruise ship carrying 1,200 passengers and a crew of 400 was being evacuated off the Greek island of Santorini on Thursday after issuing a distress signal, authorities said. The Sea Diamond was listing near the main port of the island, the Merchant Marine Ministry said. More than a dozen ships in the area were involved in the evacuation. State-run NET television said five navy rescue helicopters had also been sent to the area. The Greek-flagged Sea Diamond is operated by Louis Cruise Lines."

Last year the Louis Cruise ship Calypso had a fire! This year another ship is sinking!

Guest nhrich

I hope your daughter is okay. She may not have service in the area where she is. I have read a few accounts that said there were no reported injuries.

My 18 year old daughter is on that ship. We have not been able to get in touch with her via phone or text message. I am very worried.

Well they are all accounted for, no injuries reported and as it was coming in to harbour they are already on dry land so she'll be fine..

At that age its probably more an adventure which she'll no doubt exaggerate and re-tell all her friends :) . Shame that her holiday was cut short though. I should imagine the cruise line will put them in a hotel and flights back home tomorrow. How many more days did she have?

Not sure if you've seen this official announcement from Louis Cruises..

Louis Hellenic Cruises, confirm that m/v Sea Diamond flying the Greek flag, while maneuvering to moor at the anchorage of Santorini today at 4 p.m scraped its side on a reef. The vessel has taken a list due to the penetration of water, but has now been stabilised.

Evacuation of the 1167 passengers and 391 crew members onboard was considered prudent for safety reasons. The situation is under control. The company’s internal emergency procedures have already been activated.

All passengers have been safely disembarked. There are no casualties. All the crew is safe.

M/V Perla, under the management of Louis Hellenic Cruises, is on its way for the passengers to embark. The company’s technical team is on its way to m/v Sea Diamond to evaluate the situation.

All the competent Greek authorities have promptly and professionally responded to assist the company and have greatly contributed to the success of this operation.

A more detailed update will follow in due course.

18:00 5/4/2007

So shes finishing her cruise on this ship. Sure she'll call as soon as they embark.

perla.jpg

Falcon5Travels - I am an American living in Greece and I've been watching the news on Sea Diamond. Unfortunately I do not speak enough Greek to get all the details but certainly from the video it appears that young and old are taking it well. Lots of teenagers with backpacks and smiles getting off the tenders/rescue boats. I have seen a couple of middle-aged women with quivering lips but the old and young seem to be enjoying the adventure. I am sure your daughter will do just fine. I know I would be in a panic if one of my nephews were in that situation so I am sending this to try to put your mind at ease a bit. I am sure she will be well taken care of.

I finally heard from my daughter for 30 seconds, (thank god) she called from a ship's phone. Her group lost everything. they were below deck 5 (i guess). But they are safe. But as an afterthought..... no pictures no video. too sad :( and the kids very distressed.

Very glad to hear you received that phone call! I am sure she is shook up. I would have been the "middle-aged woman with quivering lips" had I been on that ship, so it's certainly understandable. Sorry to hear about the videos and pics but I am sure she has memories and created friendships that will last a lifetime.

The Sea Diamond sank last night before she could be salvaged. All pax are being returned to Piraeus via another ship to continue their itineraries.

No! Two French passengers still missed...

2007SeaDiamondbibi-vi.jpg

Regards,

HeinBloed

BBC News:

Two French tourists are missing after 1,600 passengers and crew were evacuated from a stricken cruise ship off the Greek island of Santorini.

A 45-year-old man and his daughter were reported missing by family members also on the cruise, officials said. The Greek-flagged Sea Diamond issued a distress signal on Thursday after running aground and taking on water. Passengers told the BBC the three-hour evacuation proceeded calmly. The ship sank 15 hours after the accident. "The missing are Jean-Christophe Allain, 45 and his 16-year-old daughter Maud," a merchant marine ministry official told AFP news agency.

A flotilla of commercial ships plus six navy helicopters and various navy vessels assisted the rescue. The remaining passengers were being taken to the port of Piraeus, the ship's original destination.

The Sea Diamond was about one nautical mile (1.8km) off the coast of the island in the eastern Aegean Sea while on a short tour of the Greek islands. After running aground several hundred metres from shore in Santorini's volcanic lagoon, it was towed off the rocks for the rescue. Many of the 1,200 passengers are from Germany and the United States, and about 20 are believed to be from the UK, said Louis Cruise Lines, the Cypriot firm which runs the ship. There are also up to 400 crew. The missing French pair were in a four-berth cabin when the vessel struck a reef. The man's wife and son narrowly managed to escape to the upper decks, the BBC's Malcolm Brabant reports from Athens. Divers are preparing to examine the wreck, now about 200m down. American passenger Cliff Jones said: "We were pulling into the port and I think the ship hit a few rocks. "The ship tilted so far to the right the first five floors were flooded. We just waited at the top to be rescued," he told the BBC. Greek Tourism Minister Fanny Palli Petralia has said whoever is responsible for the incident will be held accountable in the strictest way.

Archived