Regatta: Vista or Owner's Suite for Alaska in September?

cephelapodia

I'm looking to book a cruise and have never been on one before. I've already found many answers in the forum (thank you all!) but now have a conundrum.

Based on what I've read, I absolutely want Oceania. I'm going to be travelling with a friend, and we are both workaholics in search of a relaxing time away from work.

We are looking at the September Vancouver to San Francisco on Regatta, and both Vista and Owner's Suites are available according to the Oceania site.

We were leaning toward the Vista since the additional space that the Owner's Suite provides, while nice, isn't critical.

Does anyone have advice on picking between the two? Neither of us has ever been on a cruise before, so even very obvious info is much appreciated.

For example, I read the thread about wind in Vista on the other ships. I'd like to use the veranda for doing absolutely nothing at all for most of the cruise, but to be honest, I don't know if that's even reasonable weather-wise for the September Alaska Cruise.

Is being at the front particularly worse or better than the back? It seems that front is noisier but beautiful.

Apologies if I've overlooked any obvious threads, and many thanks for any advice you can provide.

I have been in the OS on Regatta as well as the VS on Insignia (the same space on both ships). My feeling was that the difference was really in the veranda size: larger on the OS, but certainly not insignificant on the VS. The question would seem to me to be whether you would want to be forward or aft.

Our cruises were not in Alaska so I don't know if the wind factor is important here. Others will no doubt chime in.

I will say that we've been in Vistas on other cruises where people have said the wind makes the veranda unusable ... we didn't find that to be the case, but perhaps we were doing so much touring on land that we really didn't go outside!

Hope this helps ...

Mura

P.S. I think if we were doing an Alaska cruise we'd go for the Vista because the views coming into port should be fabulous. When we did Alaska back in June '90 we were on Princess in a port hold cabin with bunk beds ...I got some great photos through the porthole but probably would have gotten better ones on the Vista veranda ...

That being said, on our two booked cruises on Marina in Nov '17 and Riviera in May '18 we're opting for the aft OC cabins ...

Are you prone to seasickness? I am, so I am sympathetic.

But if you are really prone to mal de mer, you should look for a smaller cabin lower down and midships.

I will say that I, who am susceptible, didn't have a particular problem either forward or aft in the higher suites. Unless -- and maybe I should say UNLESS -- weather really got rough ...

We were in a VS on Sirena in October when we had rough weather going into Bermuda due to a nearby hurricane. I didn't really have problems but I played it safe by lying down during the worst of the wave action.

I don't recall having a problem in the OS on Regatta but that was in the Med and the seas were always calm on that cruise.

Remember: there is no predicting what the seas will be like. We've had rough seas in the Caribbean and the Med and smooth seas in the Arctic.

Take the room you like best and hope for the best!

Mura

I agree with Mura if you suffer from seasickness or motion sickness I would go aft

Also consider what is above & below you

VS Deck 6 is above the show lounge they usually are done by 11pm but they do have rehearsals in the daytime so if you think you would be bothered by the music then maybe go to deck to 7

It could be cool & the seas might be bumpy at that time of year going down the coast

Further to what Lyn said, we were in 7004 (a VS) on Sirena last October. That was the same room we'd had on Insignia back in 2006. We liked that room because when we visited friends who were in a Deck 6 VS it looked MUCH smaller. Still larger than a PH ...

On the Insignia room we did hear noise coming into port when in 7004, but we didn't notice it at all on Sirena a few months ago.

No guarantees!

Mura

I had the VS on Regatta for Alaska and the views are fabulous. You will not be able to use the veranda and everything is tied down. Great space but a rough ride because the wind hits you head on.

We were on Insignia for almost a month to S America in OS, if given the choice, will always stay Aft trust me

The scenery is the big thing on an Alaska cruise. You really need to be on deck and get a 360 view. Yes, the whales might be spouting in front of your veranda but probably the most interesting things will be happening on the other side of the ship and you'll hear about it at dinner.

Mary

Just to provide a differing view from the others, we travel in a forward cabin for the views, the bounce (if there is any wave action), and have rarely been bothered by wind. There will be wind because of the ship's progress, but just as often there will be a following wind which affects cabins located aft. Seldom are balcony items tied down during normal passages - only if it is rough. We are unaffected by seasickness which helps making this choice easier, thus higher is better. We are also early risers, so the crew prepping the foredeck for arrival or anchoring does not bother us - it is part of the entertainment.

We enjoyed our Nautica VS the only time we chose VS. Scenery is spectacular each time we have travelled the Inside Passage to Alaska (which is four in all), whale watching last year was best ever, fellow passengers very congenial, crew outstanding on Regatta and if your heart is set on spending for OS or VS you can't go wrong. Have a great voyage.:D

What is the aft view like on an Alaskan cruise? Is it similar to being able to view back, left and right without being on deck?

I should be able to answer this question for you in September, because I just got off the phone with Oceania Reservations!

Thank you all for the advice. I was torn because of the view - I would actually find watching the crew preparing to come in to port very interesting - but since I've never sailed before, I decided to go with the Owner's Suite since it sounds likely to be more stable.

Thank you all again, so very much!

I should be able to answer this question for you in September, because I just got off the phone with Oceania Reservations!

Thank you all for the advice. I was torn because of the view - I would actually find watching the crew preparing to come in to port very interesting - but since I've never sailed before, I decided to go with the Owner's Suite since it sounds likely to be more stable.

Thank you all again, so very much!

Congratulations on a great choice. Enjoy the OS!

We had the Owners Suite on Regatta for our sail from San Francisco to Vancouver in 2015. You have made the right choice. It's great to sit "out back" and watch where we have come. Enjoy.