Later Boarding on Regatta

anugama143

We just disembarked from Insignia on Tue in Abu Dhabi.

The last few days had increasingly more strict restrictions on hygiene every day because of an unidentified GI illness. This was most likely brought onboard by the group that stayed off the ship for 3 days while doing an overland trip to Taj; however, it could have been anyone else as we spent 5 days in Indian ports.

The illness was publicly acknowledged by the Captain and the CD. This resulted in an extensive cleaning of the entire ship on change-over day in Abu Dhabi. Even remaining passengers had to leave their cabins empty for the cleaning the entire morning. This obviously lead to a delayed embarkation of new passengers.

I am wondering if the same situation may be the case for Regatta - but I do not know this to be a fact. They just might anticipate later arrival into port due to weather? as another possibility for the delayed embarkation; or any number of other reasons.

Why not ask the home office or your TA for the explanation.

Maybe a TA function so they do not want passengers boarding earlier

Cannot imagine they would know 2.5 weeks in advance that there would be a G.I issue

Just guessing ;)

The prior cruise ends in Vancouver on the 21st so maybe a short cruise for TA's or a charter ???

Cannot imagine they would know 2.5 weeks in advance that there would be a G.I issue

Just guessing ;)

The prior cruise ends in Vancouver on the 21st so maybe a short cruise for TA's or a charter ???

You are most likely right.

In any case, at least OP has advanced notice which is not always the case.

You are most likely right.

In any case, at least OP has advanced notice which is not always the case.

yes with over 2 wks notice it must be a scheduled event

The OP's cruise starts in SEA so there are 3 days for something

Been to Seattle numerous times and love the City. I wouldn't boarded before 14:00, even if I could have.

Does the OP need a list of things to do in Seattle to entertain one's self for a few hours?

Been to Seattle numerous times and love the City. I wouldn't boarded before 14:00, even if I could have.

Does the OP need a list of things to do in Seattle to entertain one's self for a few hours?

I like 1500 to 1530....even better go right to the cabin..... not stressed about missing a meal... I have reasonable confidence I wont go hungry...;p

We were on the Regatta a couple of years ago around the same time of the year. We were sailing north along the western coast of Mexico and California, due to arrive in San Francisco in the morning. Due to rough seas from Cabo San Lucas to San Francisco, we were delayed by almost 5 hours. Several passengers with early flights missed them. We missed a tour of SF that I had planned. Oceania was very accommodating in helping passengers to rebook flights and tours. Meanwhile those passengers arriving early in SF in the hopes of early boarding were hungry, tired and angry. I am sure that the passengers planning to embark in SF would have appreciated knowing of a possible delay in boarding ahead of time. In this case, it was almost impossible. The captain compensated everyone with an extra evening of drinks on the house.

People arriving for a cruise in SF were hungry? How does that happen? Were the cruisers street people that couldn't afford a meal, and couldn't eat until they got on the ship?

Even if they had flown in the day of the cruise, most would have left home that morning. So tired!

Angry I could see. If people are now inconvenienced just a little, anger is now the new norm. Dammit, I wanted to start drinking off that drinks package by noon, and now I'll have to wait a couple hours. Anger!

Just guessing ;)

When I was on Regatta a couple of weeks ago one of the workers mentioned to me in conversation that they are going to be doing a short refurb/wetdock/maintenance in Vancouver to get ready for the Alaska season.

The ship arrives in Vancouver on the 21st

the OP is departing on the 24th from SEA

so there is something planned for those missing days that Oceania is telling them in advance not to arrive early

How would the cruise line know there will be rough seas or illness almost 3 weeks in advance

it is not rocket science people :eek:

People arriving for a cruise in SF were hungry? How does that happen? Were the cruisers street people that couldn't afford a meal, and couldn't eat until they got on the ship?

Even if they had flown in the day of the cruise, most would have left home that morning. So tired!

Angry I could see.

the old port was right near Fisherman's wharf guess they could not walk 2 blks to get food either

it is truly amazing how intolerant people are these days

it is all about ME :D

a good reason to have lunch before heading to the port & arrive a day early so you can have a good sleep before heading to the cruise & not be cranky towards others

When I was on Regatta a couple of weeks ago one of the workers mentioned to me in conversation that they are going to be doing a short refurb/wetdock/maintenance in Vancouver to get ready for the Alaska season.

that makes sense I think they have done a quick refurb there in the past as well