Volendam - still a nice ship?

bigwally

After reading the HAL Maintenance thread about MS Rotterdam's condition, I find myself being a bit concerned about the Volendam, which is only 2 years newer. How is she holding up?

We were on the MS Rotterdam about 8 years ago and had a wonderful Baltic cruise. However, I don't know if I'd be inclined to cruise her again given what I've just read. :o

I was on the Volendam last October and the ship was in good condition. The Volendam is due to go into dry dock in Singapore at the end of November 2017 for regular maintenance and upgrades. The Hal website deck plans show some of the changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were just on the Volendam for 30 days this past spring, and we had no issues regarding plumbing, leaks. etc. Some people had an issue with A/C, but I believe they were moved to another cabin. We are booked again this winter to be the Volendam.

We were on the Rotterdam last December for 17 days, and while I heard of some plumbing and AC issues - we experienced no problems.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
And it’s going in for refurbishing in December. New bathrooms project to be completed, USB port in every stateroom, and more. Check out the deck plans on the HAL site.

It doesn't look like all the bathrooms will get the new shower. Category H cabins still listed as having tubs after the dry dock, so I'm wondering if they're getting new tubs, or not getting bathroom renovations in that category. Personally, I prefer the tub, especially on vacation.