Questions about Hawaii Ports

AmyMelissa

I hope some of you can help. When we've gone on other cruises to Islands, we tend not to do big tours and excursions. We like winging it. We like to hire a cab, go for a short tour, maybe lunch and some shopping. Will we have a problem doing this in the HI ports? Are there usually cabbies there to hire, or other short excursion companies? Or if we really want to see the Island, we have to book something? We aren't what you would call the Athletic type, so we aren't going hang gliding, or hiking, or biking. Any one have any suggestions? We'll be in HI in late April. Thanks

We went to Hawaii in April 2012. We rented a Mustang convertible and did our own thing on Maui and Oahu. We went on the Grand Canyon tour on Kauai. Visited the USS Missouri at Pearl Harbor and renewed our wedding vows on a very nice beach. This was our third time in Hawaii so we knew what we wanted to see on our own. It was a wonderful 12-day cruise on the Spirit.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

A car rental is the way to go. Cabs will be pricey...and if you're planning to tour about for the better part of the day, a rental is cheaper. Driving is quite easy on Hawaii. That said, you will need to learn something about your ports...so pick up a guidebook! Read up on what's available, and then go and do it!

We did the Pride of America Hawaii cruise, and I can attest to the benefit of renting a car.

Since you are in the USA it is very hassle-free, and there are car rental places at every port. Just get off the ship, walk to the rental place (may be inside a hotel, depending on company and location) and pick up the keys.

We loved the freedom! We went to some fantastic places on our own schedule. No way would I recommend an excursion for Hawaii. Get a car.

There are private tour company’s

We used Roberta Hawaii tour. They have a web sight

They had nice modern buses. There pricing is lot cheaper then Carnival tours

We did the 15 day cruise out of Long Beach CA. Never been to Hawaii, you really have limited time, like 12 hours to do everything

we came off of the ship the buses were waiting for us. Did have to deal with the hassle of getting a car, driving and really knowing where To go

I think we saw all the main thing. Remember if you want to do Perl Harbor you need to get tickets in advance. You are not going to walk up and get tickets that day.

You really have to think about this. what you want to see

Then if you go back a second time, and know what you are doing then you can rent a car

Thinking about it, I don’t think we could cover what we did by ourselves

You can leave the tour at anytime. Just tell the driver you are going on your own

Yes taxi are high price, before Uber. Don’t know Uber pricing

We like to hire a cab, go for a short tour, maybe lunch and some shopping. Will we have a problem doing this in the HI ports? Are there usually cabbies there to hire, or other short excursion companies? Or if we really want to see the Island, we have to book something?

Just get off the ship, walk to the rental place (may be inside a hotel, depending on company and location) and pick up the keys.

Agreed that a car is the best way to get around as, at least on Maui, vendors will not be waiting around to hire out, and the ship's tours are on the expensive and crowded side. If you want to rent a car, you would be best to do it before you get here. You really don't walk to the rental place and pick up the keys on Maui. When the ship docks, the majority of agencies are at Kahului Airport and most have shuttles that meet you at the ship and drive you to the rental agency to get your car. Your ship is shown as docking at Kahului Harbor from 9 a.m. until 11 p.m., and that should give you time to drive around and enjoy Maui without any hurry.

You will get a better response to your questions if you post them in the Hawaii port section if the boards. This board is for specific Carnival questions or comments. Have fun in Hawaii still my favorite all time cruise.

I’m confused! What makes this board specific to Carnival? I see nothing on here that says that and it is in the Ports of Call section.

I’m confused! What makes this board specific to Carnival? I see nothing on here that says that and it is in the Ports of Call section.

This post apparently was originally made on the Carnival forum which was moved here to the Hawaii forum by the moderator.

The ports in Hawaii are not like the ones in the Caribbean where there are touring cabs and other excursions available at the dock, as well as plenty to see just walking around. Some ports are industrial and you need a plan. I've been reading here for two months and am still not sure how we are going to do what we want to do (rent a car and drive around). Keep reading, especially threads about renting cars and where to go when you get one. It's confusing because one poster says you can walk there and the next says it's five miles.....so which is it? From what I understand, you can rent a car through Discount Hawaii Car Rental for any island and they can tell you if there is a shuttle from the dock to where you pick up your car. We are planning to "wing it" at Kona where there is a Hop On Hop Off available at the dock. At the other ports, we are planning.

We did the Pride of America Hawaii cruise, and I can attest to the benefit of renting a car.

Since you are in the USA it is very hassle-free, and there are car rental places at every port. Just get off the ship, walk to the rental place (may be inside a hotel, depending on company and location) and pick up the keys.

We loved the freedom! We went to some fantastic places on our own schedule. No way would I recommend an excursion for Hawaii. Get a car.

do you have tips on companies close to various ports? I'll be stopping in Oahu, Kauai, and Hilo. Most of the rentals I was finding was at the airport that required an additional ride & time to pick it up.

do you have tips on companies close to various ports? I'll be stopping in Oahu, Kauai, and Hilo. Most of the rentals I was finding was at the airport that required an additional ride & time to pick it up.

The only car rental that is walkable is at Kona. One at Kahalui has mixed info. The poster you quoted vastly over simplified the situation. Oahu, Kauai and Hilo are at the airport. Shuttles (to the airport car lots) are present at Kauai and Hilo, Oahu is mixed reports.

Just a note - If you will be on the Emerald Princess as your history suggests, you should add Maui (Lahaina) to the list of ports you'll be visiting.

Just a note - If you will be on the Emerald Princess as your history suggests, you should add Maui (Lahaina) to the list of ports you'll be visiting.

And to expect to pay considerably more than at Kahului.

Friends who just visited us considered renting a car in Lahaina but at $800 for 5 days we drove them around Maui in our car.

Edited by Astro Flyer

There is an Enterprise location close to Pier 2 terminal on Oahu. It’s on Ala Moana Blvd.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Everyone, thanks for all the advice. We are actually flying into Oahu on Wednesday before boarding the ship on Friday. We'll have a car the whole time we are in Oahu. Planning on Pearl Harbor before the cruise on Thursday. I was most concerned with Kauai, and what to do there. I think we'll do the hop on hop off in Kona, though I want to go to a coffee farm. I'm going to look into a car rental for Maui. Then just Hilo. We're on Carnival 11 days Hi to Vancouver. Celebrating birthdays and 20th wedding anniversary. Can't wait. This year went by super fast.